COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 289 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:07 am
Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:02 amHeck, of course Northwestern can run in to issues too but I feel there was a lesser risk of potential issues.
Why though?

Seems like what happened at that Walgreens was an isolated event, rare enough to make the news, and caused by human error. In other words, could happen anywhere.

There is also a 3 week+ window to get the second dose and, as far as I know, no evidence that suggests getting the 2nd dose after that window is bad. I know you already said it, but it's in everyone's best interest to get the first shot they can regardless of facility.
Again, this is me speaking about ME in regards to the vaccine. I don't expect people to feel the same way and of course there are many different factors involved.
For example......
I know our Governor and his family have given a shit ton of money to Northwestern.
I know other people (very well) who have done the same.
Right or wrong, I have been told that the hospital often gets "priority"/"preferential" "status" in this state.
I don't know if "funding" and by whom has any bearing on that but I have to assume it might.
Again, right or wrong, I just feel safer and more secure that there will be less POTENTIAL issues at Northwestern than there might be elsewhere - dare I say one of the factors being based on who funds the hospital and who is getting vaccinated there?

It very well may be true that Walgreen's issues are very isolated and there may not be any other issues going forward (and as I said, of course Northwestern can have issues too) but unlike Walgreen's, Northwestern is a hospital with doctors who treat people and have experience in dealing with medical issues that may arise if there was an issue with the vaccine/s.
Being someone who has "underlying" conditions, I felt safer being in "observation" in the hospital than I would sitting in a Walgreen's.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:17 am Including the conceal carry permitl
meh
shindig

Post by shindig »

Admittedly I haven't done much research on the vaccine's, but is the general thought that COVID shots will be good for a year and then you'll get a another shot (or two) the following year, sorta like the Flu shots?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:29 amBeing someone who has "underlying" conditions, I felt safer being in "observation" in the hospital than I would sitting in a Walgreen's.
I can understand this, but it is not at all what you originally posted.
Deleted User 89

i don’t think we really know yet, shindig

it seems a lot depends on the variants. also, the longer it takes to reach global immunity, i think the greater the chance that we’d need boosters
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

shindig wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am Admittedly I haven't done much research on the vaccine's, but is the general thought that COVID shots will be good for a year and then you'll get a another shot (or two) the following year, sorta like the Flu shots?
No, probably not. It's not known yet, but the immunity will probably last longer than that.

At some point the virus will likely have a mutation that evades protection but not sure when. The mutation rate is lower than in flu though.

I think they'll continue to try to improve the vaccines, to make them have more targets than just the spike protein, or to more parts of the spike protein. So, I'm guessing that at some date in the future, we'll either get a tweaked vaccine to deal with mutations, or a better version of the vaccine. But I don't think it will be an every year thing.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yes, and what trad said.

The more vaccinated people there are the fewer total viruses, and therefore fewer chances for mutations that evade the vaccine.

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

So the unvaccinated are perpetuating the virus and allowing the chance for mutations.

That should cause enough concern that all would welcome the vaccination. Except for the scaredy cats.
Last edited by defixione on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

pretty much

edit: and particularly those that get covid and can’t shake it. those with long-term viral infection seem to be those that are most likely to be incubators for novel strains
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

We get booster shots for all kinds of diseases - tetanus, hepatitis, etc which are less frequent than for the flu. One more booster would become the new normal. Maybe it would be included in some combo
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Just got second injection an hour ago.

Feeling good.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:19 pm Just got second injection an hour ago.

Feeling good.
We are in the same boat. We are both super sleepy.

Prepared for a rougher day tomorrow, but we'll see.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

defixione wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:53 am So the unvaccinated are perpetuating the virus and allowing the chance for mutations.
:lol:

Someone drank the kool aid.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 89

clown
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:19 pm Just got second injection an hour ago.

Feeling good.
My 2nd one is on the 9th. Friday afternoon. Planning for a lazy Saturday if all goes to plan.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Walrus wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:37 pm
defixione wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:53 am So the unvaccinated are perpetuating the virus and allowing the chance for mutations.

lemme guess, you don’t understand (or believe in, if you prefer) evolution?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:39 pm

lemme guess, you don’t understand (or believe in, if you prefer) evolution?
He doesn't understand that 100 people in a state of 8 million people is a tiny percentage (and he confirmed that TODAY). There's no way he understands evolution.

Or that the earth is round.

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

This "he is not vaccinated!!" thing reminds me of how the Germans treated the Jews before WW2. The Germans convinced their public that the Jews were "dirty".
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

It's called science, empirical fact. Ever heard of it?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Walrus wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:32 pm This "he is not vaccinated!!" thing reminds me of how the Germans treated the Jews before WW2. The Germans convinced their public that the Jews were "dirty".
Good God dude.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG