Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:53 pm How's this for a leap of faith:

As a college basketball fan, I would very very very fucking much like there to be some sort of centralized, organizing office that could get out in front of developments that might (perhaps needlessly) threaten the idea of having college basketball next year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I’ve always maintained that the “summer vacation” has outlasted its original intent - at least my understanding of it. Wasn’t it to allow returning students (high school and college) to work on the farms when we were still a predominantly agrarian society?

I think in keeping with the times, the school year should run from early July (after the Independence Day holiday) through the week before Thanksgiving. The next semester would begin a week after New Year Day and end before Memorial Day. About 4.5 months of school x 2 and 6 weeks of break x 2
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:04 pm I’ve always maintained that the “summer vacation” has outlasted its original intent - at least my understanding of it. Wasn’t it to allow returning students (high school and college) to work on the farms when we were still a predominantly agrarian society?

I think in keeping with the times, the school year should run from early July (after the Independence Day holiday) through the week before Thanksgiving. The next semester would begin a week after New Year Day and end before Memorial Day. About 4.5 months of school x 2 and 6 weeks of break x 2
I'd be fine with the Memorial Day to Labor Day summer, if during the summer (at the middle school and up level) there was either practical summer school, or apprenticeship/summer job/work study type stuff.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:07 pm
zsn wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:04 pm I’ve always maintained that the “summer vacation” has outlasted its original intent - at least my understanding of it. Wasn’t it to allow returning students (high school and college) to work on the farms when we were still a predominantly agrarian society?

I'd be fine with the Memorial Day to Labor Day summer, if during the summer (at the middle school and up level) there was either practical summer school, or apprenticeship/summer job/work study type stuff.
I believe Creighton is currently finalizing plans to start classes in early August, to skip Fall Break, and to have classes over with by Thanksgiving, thereby preventing students from going home and bringing whatever back with them at the start of cold/flu season.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:02 pm
I'd bet everything on this being complete bullshit.

Who the fuck would prescribe it for him?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:18 pm

I believe Creighton is currently finalizing plans to start classes in early August, to skip Fall Break, and to have classes over with by Thanksgiving, thereby preventing students from going home and bringing whatever back with them at the start of cold/flu season.
Yes, Notre Dame and South Carolina announced similar plans today.

Without some forethought and organization, this all will result in there being no college basketball this year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 pm

Someone comfortable living out their days at FCI-Florence, should the side effects manifest.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:21 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:18 pm

Yes, Notre Dame and South Carolina announced similar plans today.

Without some forethought and organization, this all will result in there being no college basketball this year.
Yeah. Sorry. Didn't read that post/tweet.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:26 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:09 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:55 pm There are things that work against colleges being doomed.

For one thing. Unemployment going up usually coincides with increased enrollment, for obvious reasons. At my school summer enrollment was actually UP slightly, in spite of being online only, and having some courses not being offered.

The move to online is also an opportunity. Morr continuing ed courses, more certificates, more dual credit, etc.

Also there are enormous differences from discipline to discipline with regard to need for on campus learning. The ability to learn remotely changes a lot for a chemistry major vs history major vs software developer.
God I hope you’re right for my own selfish reasons, but, given the unprecedented nature of it all, how much of this is wishful thinking?
I mean, a lot of the concerns mentioned are very real, but I don't think it's the whole story, and it tends to paint with broad strokes.
Right. I'm only personally concerned about the Business School, and those tend to operate in a different fiscal environment than much of the rest of the universities' departments.

I believe during the '08 downturn, you had a lot of grads, rightly or wrongly, going after MBA's. So, it's hard to know how it will go, but I'd surely bet the schools will be looking to cut every cost.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

What? No. Absolutely No. Let kids be kids, dont take summers away. I worked almost all of mine but it was still good to get away from school.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Other countries make different schedules work, like trimesters.

But here, I don't trust at all that the schools would be properly funded to be able to afford the air conditioning in the summer months.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:00 pm Other countries make different schedules work, like trimesters.

But here, I don't trust at all that the schools would be properly funded to be able to afford the air conditioning in the summer months.
some schools don't have AC
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:02 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:00 pm Other countries make different schedules work, like trimesters.

Which is even more of a reason not to have school in the summer months.

I'd probably be for a shorter summer break and longer winter/spring breaks to make it look more like year round school to give parents a break on having to find daycare and making sure kids are fed every day. But only if properly funded. I also have no children/skin in this game.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:06 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:02 pm

Which is even more of a reason not to have school in the summer months.
Right.

When it was real hot at the start of a school year, we'd have 2 hour early starts. That's tolerable for a week, not 6-8 weeks.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We expect to learn this week if the kids are even expecting to go to school at all in the Fall.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Has there ever been a successful vaccine developed to prevent a strain of coronavirus? (Obviously not speaking of covid19 specifically)
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

According to Worldometers.info

In the US:
Total Deaths due to COVID-19: ~ 91,500
Monday, 5/18 deaths: ~ 1,003
8 states yesterday with no deaths

New Cases Monday: ~ 22,630 (The second fewest new cases on a Monday since 3/23)

New Coronavirus Cases Monday:

1. Illinois: 2,294
2. Jew Jersey: 1,890
3. California: 1,446
4. New York: 1,419
5. Massachusetts: 1,042
6. Texas: 1,007
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:09 pm Has there ever been a successful vaccine developed to prevent a strain of coronavirus? (Obviously not speaking of covid19 specifically)
No.

There are hundreds of coronaviruses, but only seven are known to affect people. Four human coronaviruses only cause mild cold- or flu-like symptoms. Three other coronaviruses pose more serious risks.

All seven types of human coronaviruses cause upper respiratory infections. Symptoms resemble those of the common cold or flu and may include:

nasal congestion
sore throat
cough
headaches
fever

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), coronaviruses occasionally cause complications in the lower respiratory tract, such as pneumonia.

The seven coronaviruses that affect humans can be categorized into two groups.

There are four common human coronaviruses:

229E
NL63
OC43
HKU1

Common human coronaviruses usually cause mild to moderate symptoms.

Most people around the world will develop at least one of these viral infections over their lifetime. Those who contract these viruses are able to recover on their own most of the time.

Three additional coronaviruses originated as animal infections. Over time, these viruses evolved and were eventually transmitted to humans.

These coronaviruses pose more serious risks to human health. They’re described below.

SARS-CoV

SARS-CoV causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the first human cases appeared in southern China in November 2002.

SARS-CoV may have originated in bats and were transmitted to other animals before infecting humans.

During the 2002-2003 epidemic, more than 8,000 people in 26 countries around the world contracted SARS. There were 774 reported deaths.

The outbreak was contained in mid-2003 with the implementation of infection control practices such as isolation and quarantine. Since then, a handful of cases have occurred due to laboratory accidents.

There are currently no reported cases of SARS transmission in the world. However, if the virus re-emerges, it could pose a significant threat to the public.

MERS-CoV

MERS-CoV causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). According to WHO, it emerged in September 2012 in Saudi Arabia, although initial cases were later traced back to Jordan.

Humans contract MERS-CoV through contact with camels that have contracted the infection. The virus is also transmitted by coming into very close contact with a person who has the infection.

Since 2012, 27 countries have reported more than 2,400 MERS cases. To date, the majority of cases have occurred in Saudi Arabia.

In 2015, an outbreak in South Korea led to 186 cases and 36 deaths. According to the CDC, this outbreak originated with a traveler returning from the Middle East.

According to the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDPC), there were more than 200 cases of MERS-CoV reported in 2019.

Health authorities around the world continue to monitor MERS cases.

SARS-CoV-2

SARS-CoV-2 causes COVID-19. This new coronavirus appeared in Wuhan, China, in late December 2019 after health officials noticed an increase in pneumonia cases with no known cause.

These cases have since been linked to a market selling seafood and poultry. Though the virus likely evolved from an animal source, its exact source is unknown.

Within a few months, SARS-CoV-2 has spread to hundreds of countries around the world after being transmitted through person-to-person contact.

The virus that originated in China in 2019 is a new coronavirus that likely evolved from an animal source. It’s been named SARS-CoV-2.

SARS-CoV-2 causes the illness known as COVID-19. It’s dangerous because it’s transmitted easily from person-to-person, whether or not the person is exhibiting symptoms.

As the virus continues to spread around the world, many countries are asking people to stay home to prevent transmission.

There’s currently no known vaccine or medical treatment for COVID-19. Research in these areas is ongoing.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... e-n1209706

Sean P. Conley, the White House physician, said in a statement later Monday that he discussed the drug with the president.

“After numerous discussions he and I had for and against the use of hydroxychloroquine we concluded the potential benefit from treatment outweighed the relative risks,” Conley wrote.

Asked if Trump was prescribed the medication by Conley, White House Director of Strategic Communications Alyssa Farrah told NBC News, “Yes — he was prescribed it and took it.”