Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by DCHawk1 »

thoroughly baffled by the uproar over the wearing of them.

You don't have to be British not to understand.

It's the dumbest fucking thing evar.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 pm Tomorrow morning's New York Times front page.

Important to remember that the numbers have names. The names have loved ones. Here are the names:

Of course, The NYT fails to identify how many of those 100,000 were at or past the normal median age of death in the U.S. which is 78 years of age - meaning that, statistically, they would likely have died this year, anyway - nor does it account for the failure of most states to differentiate “died with COVID” from “died of COVID”. But, hey, whatever advances The Narrative.

Baaa! Baaa!
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:37 pm
Feral wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 pm Tomorrow morning's New York Times front page.

Important to remember that the numbers have names. The names have loved ones. Here are the names:

Of course, The NYT fails to identify how many of those 100,000 were at or past the normal median age of death in the U.S. which is 78 years of age - meaning that, statistically, they would likely have died this year, anyway - nor does it account for the failure of most states to differentiate “died with COVID” from “died of COVID”. But, hey, whatever advances The Narrative.

Baaa! Baaa!
That's not how it works. A person who is 78 has a life expectancy on average of about 10 more years.

https://www.annuityadvantage.com/resour ... cy-tables/
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Of course, The NYT fails to identify how many in addition to those 100,000 were unable to be tested prior to death in the U.S. or the many who died of covid at home. It also fails to identify the individuals whose quality and length of life have been reduced by the virus causing organ damage. But, hey, whatever advances The Narrative.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Baaa! Baaa!
FFS go find the K State message board and get the hell outta here.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I don't know.

I think this kinda toes the line between pathos and bathos.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

That's only 1000 names
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Baaa! Baaa!
A) THEIR AGES ARE LISTED!
B) "Statistically" I am 200.9 pounds. In reality I am not.
C) Frankly, the words "with"/"from"/"of" do make a difference but as I have had to try to explain the concept to others - they didn't die before they had Covid-19 so chances are pretty good it was at least a contributing factor to their death.

Seems maybe their "narrative" in terms of your post was to make you come off as foolish?
I'll let others decide if they succeeded with their narrative.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

sdoyel wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:09 am

Baaa! Baaa!
FFS go find the K State message board and get the hell outta here.
I’m sorry you can’t tolerate viewpoints that differ from your own.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I'd say that many of the KU alums who post here tolerate viewpoints that differ from their own quite well. But tolerating someone who just seems angry that we attended the University of Kansas and lashes out at KU alums constantly because of that and who obsessively follows KU alums from forum to forum that KU alums create in order to disparage us and our university, that's somewhat different.
Don't inject Lysol.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

seahawk wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:11 pm I'd say that many of the KU alums who post here tolerate viewpoints that differ from their own quite well. But tolerating someone who just seems angry that we attended the University of Kansas and lashes out at KU alums constantly because of that and who obsessively follows KU alums from forum to forum that KU alums create in order to disparage us and our university, that's somewhat different.
You know, I rarely read, much less respond, to any of your posts, but this one requires an answer.

I challenge you to go back through any of my posts on any version of these boreds and find any time where I disparaged the University of Kansas or lashed out at anyone because they attended KU. I don't care where you went to school. Period. If you're wrong, if you're being an ass, if you're misinformed, I will respond accordingly, but it has never had anything to do with where anyone went to school.

If you're under the impression that matriculating from Mount Oread makes you all-knowing, infallible, or above reproach somehow, that's your delusion, not my problem.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Geezer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:42 am That's only 1000 names
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Baaa! Baaa!
You just follow a different shepard.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

A deadly 'checkerboard': Covid-19's new surge across rural America

Source: Washington Post

The novel coronavirus arrived in an Indiana farm town mid-planting season and took root faster than the fields of seed corn, infecting hundreds and killing dozens. It tore though a pork processing plant and spread outward in a desolate stretch of the Oklahoma Panhandle. And in Colorado’s sparsely populated eastern plains, the virus erupted in a nursing home and a pair of factories, burning through the crowded quarters of immigrant workers and a vulnerable elderly population.

As the death toll nears 100,000, the disease caused by the virus has made a fundamental shift in who it touches and where it reaches in America, according to a Washington Post analysis of case data and interviews with public health professionals in several states. The pandemic that first struck in major metropolises is now increasingly finding its front line in the country’s rural areas; counties with acres of farmland, cramped meatpacking plants, out-of-the-way prisons and few hospital beds.

In these areas, where 60 million Americans live, populations are poorer, older and more prone to health problems such as diabetes and obesity than those of urban areas. They include immigrants and the undocumented — the “essential” workers who have kept the country’s sprawling food industry running, but who rarely have the luxury of taking time off for illness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... rc404=true
Don't inject Lysol.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

defixione wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Baaa! Baaa!
You just follow a different shepard.
I think we all have to choose a shepherd at some point in our lives.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

seahawk wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:48 pm A deadly 'checkerboard': Covid-19's new surge across rural America

Source: Washington Post

The novel coronavirus arrived in an Indiana farm town mid-planting season and took root faster than the fields of seed corn, infecting hundreds and killing dozens. It tore though a pork processing plant and spread outward in a desolate stretch of the Oklahoma Panhandle. And in Colorado’s sparsely populated eastern plains, the virus erupted in a nursing home and a pair of factories, burning through the crowded quarters of immigrant workers and a vulnerable elderly population.

As the death toll nears 100,000, the disease caused by the virus has made a fundamental shift in who it touches and where it reaches in America, according to a Washington Post analysis of case data and interviews with public health professionals in several states. The pandemic that first struck in major metropolises is now increasingly finding its front line in the country’s rural areas; counties with acres of farmland, cramped meatpacking plants, out-of-the-way prisons and few hospital beds.

In these areas, where 60 million Americans live, populations are poorer, older and more prone to health problems such as diabetes and obesity than those of urban areas. They include immigrants and the undocumented — the “essential” workers who have kept the country’s sprawling food industry running, but who rarely have the luxury of taking time off for illness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... rc404=true
100 years from now, the way we presently treat the elderly, the imprisoned, and those who help make food available to us, will be among the greatest sources of the nation's moral embarrassment at our era.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:00 pm 100 years from now, the way we presently treat the elderly, the imprisoned, and those who help make food available to us, will be among the greatest sources of the nation's moral embarrassment at our era.
<sigh> a sadly prescient post, imo.

I bear my share of the shame.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:30 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:00 pm 100 years from now, the way we presently treat the elderly, the imprisoned, and those who help make food available to us, will be among the greatest sources of the nation's moral embarrassment at our era.
<sigh> a sadly prescient post, imo.

I bear my share of the shame.
Unfortunately just about every 20-year chunk of our nation’s history is spent being embarrassed for how we treated blank 100 years ago. Sooner or later everyone will have their turn
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »