Black Friday Game Thread: KU vs Dayton

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Black Friday Game Thread: KU vs Dayton

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno.

If Dave had half of Landen’s fundamentals, tho…
pflynnku

Post by pflynnku »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:18 pm I'll eat crow, weirdly since most if you want Dave to fail for some odd vendetta ( tho it's in our interest if he crushes it ) if he doesnt round back to his junior numbers come conference.

It was the same thing with a lot of you and Dok, as if bigs arent skillful.
Everyone wants Dave to play up to his ability, pdub, but he just doesn't. He plays smaller and weaker than any 6'-10", 260 lb guy in the world. That's what is so frustrating with him - we've seen him play well, but he just doesn't dominate like he should, and he's definitely a liability so far this year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Look where he catches the ball, it's all over the place. When he has good position, he almost always scores.

Maybe he just doesn't work hard every play pre-catch like the Udoka's, Cole's, Collison's, etc. of the world because he is plenty big and athletic enough that he should be winning position every time.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:30 pm Look where he catches the ball, it's all over the place. When he has good position, he almost always scores.

Maybe he just doesn't work hard every play pre-catch like the Udoka's, Cole's, Collison's, etc. of the world because he is plenty big and athletic enough that he should be winning position every time.
I think there’s a lot of truth in that. I think he also tries to use his upper body too much when trying to get a physical advantage, rather than his hips and legs.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:26 pm I dont think our offense will flow through him but he needs to be there to establish the space and threat. Designed plays for sure but also screens for Chai and Remy.

Dave also, though he, like everyone, missed some plays on D, is our best post defender and does alter shots at the rim.

So yes, if Dave repeats his numbers, but Ochai becomes the AA I thought he would, and sophomore Wilson improves and Remy contributes, yes, win win.
I know it's hard for some to understand, but for our offense to work efficiently it helps to be able to throw it inside to Dave. Even if he doesn't shoot, the defense moves, and it creates space for the guys we want taking the shots (och and remy).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:33 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:30 pm Look where he catches the ball, it's all over the place. When he has good position, he almost always scores.

I think there’s a lot of truth in that. I think he also tries to use his upper body too much when trying to get a physical advantage, rather than his hips and legs.
Oh it's some of the worst footwork from a starting big that we've seen here.

CB throws a transition pass to him that was a little high given that it had to be passed quickly to beat the closing defender, but Dave's work after that was so awful he turned an open layup into being guarded and 0 points.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, the lack of positioning and footwork is a such bummer.

Dude needs to embrace the concept of “score before you get the ball”

And if she doesn’t score within 3/10th if a second of catching the ball, kick it back rather than dribble and force something weird
Deleted User 863

I've noticed that too. Very strange. Sometimes he will get pushed almost all the way out to the 3pt line on his catch and gather. It's insane how soft he plays at times.

Regardless, Dok ain't walking thru that tunnel, so we need Dave to be as good as he can be. Whatever that may be.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:33 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:26 pm I dont think our offense will flow through him but he needs to be there to establish the space and threat. Designed plays for sure but also screens for Chai and Remy.

Dave also, though he, like everyone, missed some plays on D, is our best post defender and does alter shots at the rim.

So yes, if Dave repeats his numbers, but Ochai becomes the AA I thought he would, and sophomore Wilson improves and Remy contributes, yes, win win.
I know it's hard for some to understand, but for our offense to work efficiently it helps to be able to throw it inside to Dave. Even if he doesn't shoot, the defense moves, and it creates space for the guys we want taking the shots (och and remy).
He ALWAYS shoots, though.

But I agree we absolutely need Dave to score. No one has argued otherwise.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:35 pm

Ya. He rarely passes out. It's so frustrating. He misses more bunnies than Sasha Kaun it feels like, but maybe that's just because he shoots more.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:36 pm

Ya. He rarely passes out. It's so frustrating. He misses more bunnies than Sasha Kaun it feels like, but maybe that's just because he shoots more.
It's a bad situation for him when he plays like that because the guards stopped looking for him tonight. And can't really blame 'em.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Can we get more downhill ball movement from the guards?

A quick drive and dish would prob be a lot better for Dave scoring than this whole deliberate outside-in pass from stationary perimeter guys
Last edited by ousdahl on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Errr.
Not true.
Not saying you, but this ain't true.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm Can we get more downhill ball movement from the guards?

A quick drive and dish would prob be a lot better for Dave scoring than this whole deliberate outside-in pass from stationary perimeter guys
He really doesn't do a good job getting open when people drive anyway, but Och and CB are good at cutting away from the ball, so hopefully Remy and those 2 + Jalen will begin to get more comfortable together.

I haven't lost hope. I am frustrated with a few players. VERY frustrated with Self. But we are still very good.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:38 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:36 pm

It's a bad situation for him when he plays like that because the guards stopped looking for him tonight. And can't really blame 'em.
But it just compounds.
How'd we shoot from 3 tonight?
If you dont think its related to post threat, then I can't help.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:45 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm Can we get more downhill ball movement from the guards?

He really doesn't do a good job getting open when people drive anyway, but Och and CB are good at cutting away from the ball, so hopefully Remy and those 2 + Jalen will begin to get more comfortable together.

I haven't lost hope. I am frustrated with a few players. VERY frustrated with Self. But we are still very good.
If I were Remy Martin I'd tell Self that the reason he worked so hard to get Remy here was to put the ball in his hands in that exact end-of-game scenario. Work on Dave's confidence the next game.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:49 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:45 pm

If I were Remy Martin I'd tell Self that the reason he worked so hard to get Remy here was to put the ball in his hands in that exact end-of-game scenario. Work on Dave's confidence the next game.
I am beyond disappointed in that play call. I am in disbelief and horror.

We have one of the leading scorers in the country in Och and he didn't touch the ball on the most important possession of the game....

So ya, Remy and Och should be pissed. Self is great, but he's a stubborn old dog.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

While outside raking leaves after the game was over, this struck me. Dave is posting up too high and too far out. Also, he seemingly wants to catch and face up.

His ass needs to be planted on the low block and not move.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

More leaf raking revelations:

2 fouls to give. Up 3. We give up a layup and a circus shot after a blocked shot.

Someone should’ve fouled the shit out of Dayton both possessions.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

More:

I see Newell on Twitter claiming Remy was playing too much hero ball down the stretch.

How the fuck is it hero ball when 40% of the guys on the floor cannot shoot or will not shoot (Dave/Juan).

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦