F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: F the NCAA

Post by pdub »

"I disagree with you, and think you’re silly. You disagree with me, and think I’m missing the point."

Don't forget to add I think you're often a pompous asshole.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

and a knowitall. don't forget that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:21 am and a knowitall. don't forget that.
I think that's covered in the adjective before asshole.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I’ll say, again, that I find your angle here genuine, even if I do not agree with it.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I esteem anyone who Mich calls a know-it-all, finding it to actually be the opposite of what he says, like about everything else.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:07 am i am glad it is over.
Quoting your wife here is tmi.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:17 pm I esteem anyone who Mich calls a know-it-all, finding it to actually be the opposite of what he says, like about everything else.
*whom*
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 148373007/

And yet, the NCAA has only itself to blame for putting these cases in the hands of real lawyers who work in real courtrooms, thinking this would circumvent the holes in its infractions process. Instead, these people who are used to trying cases that require the kind of specific evidence necessary to make those connections took one look at how NCAA justice works and pretty much laughed…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:12 pm
Sparko wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:17 pm I esteem anyone whom Mich calls a know-it-all, finding it to actually be the opposite of what he says, like about everything else.
*whom*
Cough. Yup. It was an even more jumbled mess before I changed it. I blame know-it-alls for being right!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:46 pm https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 148373007/

And yet, the NCAA has only itself to blame for putting these cases in the hands of real lawyers who work in real courtrooms, thinking this would circumvent the holes in its infractions process. Instead, these people who are used to trying cases that require the kind of specific evidence necessary to make those connections took one look at how NCAA justice works and pretty much laughed…
Yep. I know one of the people who is on the IARP from an earlier chapter in our lives. He is a fantastic lawyer with a ton of experience in the sports world. No clue if he was on the KU case or not.

https://www.jamsadr.com/benz/

I assume that the rest of the IARP panel was similarly qualified. It's so frustrating what a joke the NCAA investigation crew is. KU has to take down banners and vacate wins because they played a player who was cleared TWICE by the ncaa. That's ridiculous.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I find it frustrating and a joke that Self and KU didn’t/haven’t expressed the same sentiment as you and most KU fans and alum. Is there something legit that is preventing from doing it and instead coming off as a buncha poosies?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm guessing it was both a back door agreement with the NCAA not to further pursue the issue and accept the judgement and get on with it AND perhaps a PR move from Kansas to not look 'petty' in disagreeing with a punishment that most of the BWW Chad's find light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

there's an irony to a "back door agreement with the NCAA" in their quest against under-the-table markets.

and, tiggers and timmies and various other little-brother-complex type fans will have their panties in a twist no matter what, but, do BWW Chads even care about this shit?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea, just so very generally.
BWW Chads read a blurb about Kansas here and there, see the Level 1 Infractions, think Kansas will be hit with some sort of death penalty, forget about it.
Then see the headlines implying Kansas got off light. They agree even though they really have no idea what the infraction was to begin with. But they also think NIL is obvious now and good for the game.

They'll see Kansas over the Thanksgiving break, hanging with some old buddies at BWW, and BWW Chad'll say, "oh man Kansas sure got away with cheating," and the other Chad's will agree, and then they'll order another pitcher of Bud Light.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

maybe.

you give BWW Chads more credit than I do.

I think of them more as, they don't read much about much, particularly not about Kansas

they're really not familiar with what a Level 1 infraction is, and even if they do, yea they just forget about it.

even if they agree with the headline implying Kansas got off light, kinda moot, cuz yea they have no idea was the infraction was to begin with. (you think BWW Chad has any idea who Silvio De Sousa or Billy Preston is?)

yea they prob think NIL is good for the game, but only in like a "man those sunglasses Deion gave his players are so rad" kinda way, and hasn't nearly fleshed out all the socioeconomic nuances and such like we actual fans have.

In other words, I always perceived BWW Chad as the kinda bro who's less interested in stuff like college amateurism scandals, and more interested in like, whether to live dangerously with some mango habanero or just stick to original buffalo.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BWW Chad's have a general understanding of what is going on in sports.
They are not your average American male.
They'll watch the NCAA tournament. They really enjoy it.

They aren't interested in college scandals. They just know about it. It might pop into their head in the future. They'll think, "Kansas, bad" but "Bill Self, good" and "remember Andrew Wiggins, what a bust" but they forget where Embiid went to college.

They think NIL is good for the game because all the figureheads in the sport, mostly media, agree it is.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:34 am Yea, just so very generally.
BWW Chads read a blurb about Kansas here and there, see the Level 1 Infractions, think Kansas will be hit with some sort of death penalty, forget about it.
Then see the headlines implying Kansas got off light. They agree even though they really have no idea what the infraction was to begin with. But they also think NIL is obvious now and good for the game.

They'll see Kansas over the Thanksgiving break, hanging with some old buddies at BWW, and BWW Chad'll say, "oh man Kansas sure got away with cheating," and the other Chad's will agree, and then they'll order another pitcher of Bud Light.
I think it's sort of interesting - KU fans think we got hammered, non-KU fans think KU skated. I think there's more going on there than pure partisanship; I think there's an element of KU fans probably putting more weight in records and history than non-fans.

Non-fans don't care whether KU or Kentucky has the most wins. Non-fans don't care where the Big 12 streak* or tournament streak ended at one time or another.

Personally, as a KU fan, I'd have rather had a Bill-less season than give up the wins and banners. The records and history are what will last.

* Through no fault of our own, the magnitude of the Big 12 streak will be lost to history, in part because of "flyover country" stuff generally, in part because regular season college basketball is just not really very mainstream popular, in part because the Big 12 streak took place right as conferences were becoming meaningless anyway.