Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Jayhawks in the NBA

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:09 am The term isn’t a simple literal definition of ‘being’ a Jayhawk.

It’s sports tribalism bullshit.

If it transcends sports, and is meant to signify the bond former students/staff/etc at the university feel for one another, fine.

I want a new job, and am curious if any of you have any positions available. If I qualify, I hope my status as a KU alum brings added value to the equation.
I mention this every once in a blue moon. I am 100% convinced my being a Jayhawk cost me a job.
Job interview on April 4th 1988. It was a slam dunk. Someone told the guy to hire me to be a clerk on the trading floor of the CBOE. Interview was nothing more than a formality.
I walk in, guy has a bunch of OU shit in his office. Looks at my resume, sees I attended KU. Flat out says, probably not a good day for me to come in for an interview. I joke and say, we will know tomorrow.
We speak briefly, shake hands, he says he will be in touch. He never called me back. I called a few weeks later. His assistant told me he told her to tell me the job had been filled. I'm pretty damn sure if OU had beaten KU, he would have hired me.
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

to be clear, i don’t necessarily agree or disagree with anyone’s classifications. i just find the cut-offs and gray areas interesting
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Will work for food.

Former Jayhawk (so lifelong member).
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Oooh. I wonder if I stood on a corner which sign would be more restive in Lawrence:

A. Homeless. Saving for a home.
Editorial: this might be a bad word choice as I think the only ACCEPTABLE ‘term’ is unhoused, as indicated in the city guidelines.

B. Former Jayhawk. Help. Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:37 am to be clear, i don’t necessarily agree or disagree with anyone’s classifications. i just find the cut-offs and gray areas interesting
Same.

Especially as a non-alum, but raised as a lifelong jayhawk in a family with multiple jayhawk alums.

Which probably is why I have a hard time considering Grimes "not a jayhawk".
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:32 pm
KUTradition wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:37 am to be clear, i don’t necessarily agree or disagree with anyone’s classifications. i just find the cut-offs and gray areas interesting
Same.

Especially as a non-alum, but raised as a lifelong jayhawk in a family with multiple jayhawk alums.

thinking about it a bit more, i’d probably put grimes in a bigger bin of “disappointment Jayhawks”…alongside guys like downs, giddens, or giles
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:15 pm
Same.

thinking about it a bit more, i’d probably put grimes in a bigger bin of “disappointment Jayhawks”…alongside guys like downs, giddens, or giles
He's one of the most unique cases I can think of.

Nice kid. No off court issues. No on court issues. No disciplinary issues.

Just thought he was a bad fit and wanted a better situation...AND possibly(probably?) had someone in his inner circle who liked talking too much about things they shouldn't to media members.

Giddens was a dick.

Giles was a headcase and woman beater.

Downs, I don't know. Nothing specific sticks out except he wasn't as good as he thought compared to who we had.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:09 pm
KUTradition wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:15 pm

Same.

He's one of the most unique cases I can think of.

Nice kid. No off court issues. No on court issues. No disciplinary issues.

Just thought he was a bad fit and wanted a better situation...AND possibly(probably?) had someone in his inner circle who liked talking too much about things they shouldn't to media members.

Giddens was a dick.

Giles was a headcase and woman beater.

Downs, I don't know. Nothing specific sticks out except he wasn't as good as he thought compared to who we had.
right, which was basically my point

all of their specific situations varied, but they all ultimately ended up as disappointments

might as well add cliff and brannen in there to boot
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Cliff for sure, too. Forgot about him.

Bragg was another who started out so likeable and then crashed and burned.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Somewhat jayhawk news... KCP left with the nuggets and signed with the magic. Which means as of now Christian braun is likely their starting 2 guard
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:17 pm Somewhat jayhawk news... KCP left with the nuggets and signed with the magic. Which means as of now Christian braun is likely their starting 2 guard
https://www.denverpost.com/2024/06/30/n ... ee-agency/

I say they bring in another guy who they feel will be close to if not better than Braun.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:57 am
randylahey wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:17 pm Somewhat jayhawk news... KCP left with the nuggets and signed with the magic. Which means as of now Christian braun is likely their starting 2 guard

I say they bring in another guy who they feel will be close to if not better than Braun.
Nugs have severe money issues to sign another guy that can defend and score. CB is the guy IF he develops a consistent outside shot
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Oubre accepts 8 million a season for 2 seasons to stay with the 6ers.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:35 am Oubre accepts 8 million a season for 2 seasons to stay with the 6ers.
Oh boy.

They are stacked.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:09 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:35 am Oubre accepts 8 million a season for 2 seasons to stay with the 6ers.
Oh boy.

They are stacked.
Indeed they are (right now) but.....
Seems to me they MAY kind of have a problem.
3 guys (Embiid, George, Maxey) making a shit ton of money who all have a significant history of injury problems.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

They'd be foolish not to. Worst case scenario braun will need a reliable back up, but they're gonna bring another couple guys to compete for minutes at the 2/3 as 3 and d guys
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

randylahey wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:41 pm

They'd be foolish not to. Worst case scenario braun will need a reliable back up, but they're gonna bring another couple guys to compete for minutes at the 2/3 as 3 and d guys
Joker wants Westbrook
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ramjet wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:25 pm
randylahey wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:41 pm

Joker wants Westbrook
He wants to settle for 1 ring?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

So, if Westbrook plays 10 more seasons, could he hold the all time NBA record for destroying EVERY team in the league?