ousdahl

Re: F the NCAA

Post by ousdahl »

shoulda gone on Phish tour instead.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Can somebody explain to me how Townsend still has a job after this shit show?
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:26 pm Can somebody explain to me how Townsend still has a job after this shit show?

My guess is he still has his job because Self/KU feels he is one of the best recruiters in the nation.
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... hroat/amp/

With the NCAA's probe of Kansas over, a rejuvenated Bill Self wants the No. 1 Jayhawks to 'go for the throat'

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kansas coach Bill Self came to the Big 12's basketball media days here somewhat of a broken man.

That's a reference not so much about the recently concluded NCAA case against the Jayhawks or the health scare involving his heart last spring but also a recent run-in with his two grandchildren, ages 5 and 3. Chasing them around Allen Fieldhouse prior to the annual Late Night in The Phog preseason festivities earlier this month, the Jayhawks' coach fell and broke two ribs.

"I don't think broken ribs are minor … probably the least athletic move of my life," Self joked. "Certainly the definition of feeling old."

In a revealing interview session Wednesday at Big 12 Men's Basketball Tipoff, Self didn't seem like anything resembling a 60-year-old who had stents put in his heart last spring during March Madness which caused him to miss the postseason. He's slimmer, trimmer and ready for some sort of fight in his 21st season at KU.

"Now it's time to go for the throat," Self said responding to a question about being able to recruit without the cloud of an NCAA investigation hanging over the program.

Self said over the four years-plus the case took to be resolved, Kansas didn't land a single recruit ranked inside the top 20. While that won't get much sympathy from the majority of coaches who would give a limb for that kind of talent, it does reflect the standard Self holds himself to. He definitely responded during the dark days.

Since the FBI dropped its bomb exposing what it called widespread corruption in the sport in September 2017, Kansas won four Big 12 regular-season titles, Self was awarded a lifetime contract on the eve of the 2021 Final Four and KU won the 2022 national championship. Less than a week after that NCAA case came to its conclusion, the Jayhawks were named the No. 1 team in the AP Top 25 preseason poll for the fourth time under Self.

The coach then made a shocking revelation confirming a report that he offered to sit out the 2022 postseason to expedite the end of the NCAA case.

"I was at the point, guys, where I would have done just about anything to get it over with," Self told reporters, "for the protection of our players and for the future not knowing the process or trusting the process … It was no admission of guilt, just to try to move it forward."

The NCAA eventually denied the proposal during what was termed a "mediation" in January 2022, the same week Self's father died.

"My dad told me, 'Whatever you do, get this behind you,' " Self said.

The Final Four less than three months later was both awkward and exhilarating. Kansas was streaking toward a national championship with potential crippling penalties hanging over the program. Then in a moment Jayhawk fans everywhere won't ever forget, then-NCAA president Mark Emmert presented Self with the national championship trophy calling them "the Kansas City Jayhawks" even though Lawrence, Kan. is about 45 miles from Kansas City.

Emmert quickly corrected himself but the damage was done. KU souls were wounded a bit in the celebratory moment. The NCAA's waning credibility took a hit. It wasn't until 18 months later that the case concluded.

"When you feel responsible for so much of something that is so much bigger than any individual, you think about it between every bite," Self said. "You think about it every day. You go to bed thinking about this."

The case lingered long enough for the school to self-impose a four-game suspension on Self and top assistant Kurtis Townsend to begin last season. It was another attempt at mitigation.

The coach described his motivation during the lengthy case.

"Nothing would please me more than to do it [win] when it was designed not to be done," Self said. "I would say that motivates me. That's over now."

Self did his best to downplay his situation past and present. The health scare did not make him reflect about his mortality, he said. Whatever anger he had at the process is now directed toward looking ahead at another championship run.

The Jayhawks are that good. But there was one highly ironic moment on Tuesday. Adidas had scheduled an AAU conference at Kansas. ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla tweeted a picture of him at KU with Book Richardson, a former Arizona assistant coach who went to jail as a result of the FBI case.

As the sponsor of the event, Adidas harkened back to its representatives originally being named KU boosters by the NCAA who illicitly lured players to the program. But as the case came to an end, what were once five Level I violations made against Kansas evaporated when the Independent Accountability Resolution Process found only smaller violations that kept KU from getting a postseason ban.

On Wednesday, it was time to step on some throats.

"He's actually said that to us," said Kansas center Hunter Dickinson, the Michigan transfer who was named the Big 12 preseason Player and Newcomer of the Year on Wednesday, said of Self. "We're the No. 1 team in the country. People are going to come for us. I think it's going to be really important to step on people's throats … That would be a good motto for us.”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Just read this article. https://andscape.com/features/kansas-ba ... ll-to-see/

Made me puke. Not one mention of Zion actually getting paid by Duke but all about Townsend discussing paying his step-father.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Kansas is gonna Kansas

jfc
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.kuhearings.com/p/shadows-ju ... dependence

My old friend Jeff Benz was apparently booted from the IARP for questioning the NCAA in a case and expecting coaches and schools to be allowed due process. Crazytown.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:12 am https://www.kuhearings.com/p/shadows-ju ... dependence

My old friend Jeff Benz was apparently booted from the IARP for questioning the NCAA in a case and expecting coaches and schools to be allowed due process. Crazytown.
goddamn that’s some shady shit
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Flyover felonies.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

AlOerter wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:36 pm Just read this article. https://andscape.com/features/kansas-ba ... ll-to-see/

Made me puke. Not one mention of Zion actually getting paid by Duke but all about Townsend discussing paying his step-father.
Kansas may Kansas but Duke sure Dukes as well.

This isn’t fully wrong to me though:

“ In a way, the Kansas case was integrity’s last stand. Colleges no longer need to paper-bag cash or funnel money through AAU teams. Thanks to “name, image and likeness” rules, Adidas can pay Kansas star Hunter Dickinson in broad daylight”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s 100% true

at least for me, it isn’t necessarily the coverage of Kansas. we got caught, and deserve the microscope and scrutiny. the problem is that there seems to be a relative lack of scrutiny of the nike flagship schools, namely puke and carolina. maybe that’s just, simply because they didn’t get caught and we did, and i’ve just got my crimson glasses on. maybe it’s truly unfair and the media needs to at least try to do better

if nothing else, at least NIL might alleviate this perception of unequal/unfair treatment in some of the rules enforcement…maybe
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

pdub wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:53 am
AlOerter wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:36 pm Just read this article. https://andscape.com/features/kansas-ba ... ll-to-see/

“ In a way, the Kansas case was integrity’s last stand. Colleges no longer need to paper-bag cash or funnel money through AAU teams. Thanks to “name, image and likeness” rules, Adidas can pay Kansas star Hunter Dickinson in broad daylight”
ugh, amateurs.

never heard of the Oxford comma? freaking clueless.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s pretty silly how they suggest integrity’s last stand was the need to “paper-bag cash,” as if to imply there’s less integrity to these things happening in “broad daylight”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You read it incorrectly then.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You read it incorrectly then.

If you're having issues with the NCAA being the enforcers while also swimming in cash, then yea, I definitely can see 'oh the irony' there.

But he's not saying the need to "paper bag cash" was integrous -- but rather the ability to prevent colleges from doing so -- his subject speaking about integrity in the sentence is 'the Kansas case'.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

hoopla wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:35 am
pdub wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:53 am

ugh, amateurs.

never heard of the Oxford comma? freaking clueless.
They’re not just any old amateurs…

They’re Certified Amateurs!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:47 am You read it incorrectly then.

If you're having issues with the NCAA being the enforcers while also swimming in cash, then yea, I definitely can see 'oh the irony' there.

But he's not saying the need to "paper bag cash" was integrous -- but rather the ability to prevent colleges from doing so -- his subject speaking about integrity in the sentence is 'the Kansas case'.
So...the guy says that people getting paid cash in exchange for the value they bring is the opposite of "integrity."

I assume the author is paid in, like, the place he works having a nice breakroom? Or he's cool with the line item on his resume? Or maybe he's satisfied by the perks that come with being credentialed media (travel to games on the company dime; get to see the best venues in the world without paying for a ticket; he keeps the SWA and Bonvoy points)?

Surely he, himself, being a person of integrity, is not so greedy as to want to be paid in cash.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ad nau·se·am
/ˌad ˈnäzēəm/

referring to something that has been done or repeated so often that it has become annoying or tiresome.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:20 am ad nau·se·am
/ˌad ˈnäzēəm/

referring to something that has been done or repeated so often that it has become annoying or tiresome.
It's one thing to have an opinion that college sports would be better off without the money, to have an opinion that if players want money, they should play elsewhere. I don't agree with you on that, and I don't agree with you that the sports would NOT die as a result. I disagree with you. But I believe you are genuine about your positions, and that you come by them (and advocate for them) in good faith. And so I disagree with you, respectfully and in recognition that you hold your opinions genuinely and in good faith.

I do NOT think it's in good faith for someone (in this case, that article's author) to say there is something unprincipled (or whatever antonym you want for "integrity") about people getting paid for the value they bring. To suggest that young people - young people that are, overwhelmingly, in basketball at least, of a particular socioeconomic background - are somehow deficient in character for seeking payment for their value...is simply on another level. A level that does NOT AT ALL deserve respect.