Pet dog?

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: Pet dog?

Post by twocoach »

Feral wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:21 am
twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:32 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:50 pm i thought twocoach was a dude!?!?
With a wife and two daughters, yes. I got to pick the first one, my wife got to pick the second one.
How does one "pick" their daughters?
Well played. I need that today, thank you!
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Gonna need some thoughts my way today..

My wife and I rescued 2 dogs about 3 years ago. Both small dogs and were in some bad situations before us. We were never told what, just that it was not good. Well we are surrendering the youngest dog today. He's a Maltese and the older is a Bichon. The Maltese has always been very jumpy, protective and never settled in. You pet the other dog, and he's right there. You play with the kids, and he's right there craving to be petted. And now over the last few months, he's constantly urinated in the house and in his kennel. Was prescribed an anti-biotic as the vet said that might help, but he saw no real source of that issue. But at our house, we have all wood floors, and he's warped some wood around his kennel because he couldn't control it.

It's been tough because he needs constant attention, and we just can't provide that with 3 younger kids, and other life things.

We are surrendering him to a place we know will find him a good home. But still very tough because we tried hard to give them a good situation. One reacted very well, the other (younger one) just never seemed to feel comfortable with us. So as tough as it is, we chose to surrender the younger one in hopes of giving him a home that shows him attention constantly. He'd fit perfect with an older person/couple who show him nothing but love all hours of the day.

Sucks because it feels like we are giving up on him, but the other side of me says he needs this to have a better life with someone who can give him constant focus.

Still tough because if he got up into a lap, it was always mine. So that makes it extremely difficult.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

The fact you care shows your true character.

I haven't had a dog (or pet) since my childhood dog had to be put down right as I was close to graduating college. Had her from 1st grade until almost all the way thru college....now with 2 little kids I constantly think about getting them a dog. They both want 1. And even though they're a big responsibility, I think we can handle it....the scariest part is that I know if we get 1 that I'll have to be the 1 to make the call when the time comes and I'm not sure I'll be able to handle that...I remember my dad saying he cried like a baby putting my childhood dog down (same thing with our cat).

I think I'm close to breaking down and getting them a dog, though. Not sure what kind or when...but it's coming sooner or later I'm sure. My daughter who is 6 absolutely loves animals/insects (butterflies especially). They deserve to know the love a pet provides.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Get them a dog illy (assuming you have a yard, and time to work with them and they dont just sit in a kennel). Every kid should have a dog. Sometimes they teach more about life than humans do.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Get a medium to large dog that can put up with a kid grabbing it, holding onto it, and pulling on it without snipping and getting mad (it will happen, no matter how much you try to avoid it, kids dont mean anything bad by it theyre just learning about all things, gentleness of touch being one of those things). Goldens are amazing with kids, labs can be. Most dogs are capable of being good with kids but those two breeds are more likely to be successful.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Tough decision. Probably the right one for you. You can't have a dog destroying the house like that. You gave him a good home for 3 years and the you know he'll be well cared for going forward.
Broham
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Thanks 99. That means a lot. Just tough but the right call in the long run.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Its hard newton. Ive had to do this 1 time in my life. And i will do everything i can to never do it again. I felt like a complete failure and felt like i let the dog down, but it was the right move at the time due to circumstances and the dog is now happily living on a ranch and I still go visit him sometimes.

In the end it was the right decision. It sounds like you are making the righr decision for your circumstances as well. As hard as that is to do.
Just Ledoux it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Thanks TDub. It is very tough. And you do feel like you've failed the dog. We tried for a while. He just could never get comfortable in a comfortable setting.

But I think that he'll go to a good home with someone who can provide more than what we can.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

We have two labs. Had both since they were puppies. One is 13 and the other is 8. They couldn't be more different from one another. One is personable and obedient and wants to play all the time. The other is moody, doesn't care about people, and has been incredibly difficult to train and is not particularly obedient.

Same breed, same owners, completely different dogs.

Point is, it was asking a lot of you to take in two dogs and try to give them homes and give them a good life. As a dog owner there's only so much you can do. One dog responded well, that's great, you should be proud of it. The other dog didn't...that's ok you did your best. Like 99 said, you gave it a better life for the time you had it than what it had experienced before.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think that we are ultimately doing the right thing. When we inherited them, they didn't know the words like treats, walks, outside all of that. They were so oblivious to all of that. That's how bad they had it. The younger one did make a ton of progress, but he just went bad and acted out. Forgot to mention he started peeing on furniture. And that was kind of the last straw.

But I knew coming here would help. You guys did help me a lot.

Thank you.

seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Have been working on my house and one repair was to door molding that the rescue golden retriever ate the first day we left him alone with the other dog, in the house. He also ate a door that week. I remember one day thinking that we'd have to give him up, but this old guy who lived with us just loved him dearly and we couldn't take him away. I remember sitting on the back patio trying to figure out what to do with this dog.

We did keep him and found some redeeming qualities later on, but I sure do understand what you've gone through and three years is a long time to deal with the problems you talk about. Having a chance to find another home is due to your attention and love over those years.
Don't inject Lysol.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I picked a pup. I get to take her home in mid-March. I'm expecting her to be 16-22 pounds when fully grown. That is smaller than I was originally looking for, but I'm convinced I’ll be just as happy no matter what. You only live once.
Now, for a name?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Phog
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

George
Broham
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Scruffles
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Annie Oakley
Just Ledoux it
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Foe (family over everything) or Pho.
Last edited by defixione on Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

defixione wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:22 pmPho.
Right.

Wait.

Wut?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

See above.