National Fry/Fries Day

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: National Fry/Fries Day

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:18 pm You probably know the science better than I. I have used this method with fries with good success.

In the case of roasting a whole beef tenderloin, we seared it on a very hot grill or hot plate then slow roasted to med-rare. Very much like prime rib you describe.

There is a school of thought known as reverse sear, where the steak or whatever is usually sous-vide until it hit temp and is then seared at high heat. I'm pretty much old school though.
With sous vide you shouldn't lose a lot in the way of juices, mid-cook. You definitely need to sear first if finishing in an oven or grill.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I reverse sear and am always neurotic about how that can affect overcooking.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:57 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:52 am The biggest joke has to be fries at Long John Silver's. How do those even get out of testing?

Pretty much all fries are good, but cold LJS fries are inedible.
I just can't fathom what would make one even have the opportunity to sample Long John Silver's fries.
There is a secret popupation of our country that must love LJS....because i have no idea how they stay in business.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We have a Capt D's here. Once a year or so I get a fried platter. I usually avoid the fries.
Broham
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The LJS in my town is also an A&W. The other day I wanted a root beer float. The drive through line only had 3 cars in it (which is not many right now due to closed dining rooms/people wanting to social distance) so I decided I'd quickly get a float. But as I pulled up to the box, in classic LJS-style, the speaker was broken, had a hand written note taped to it that said, you have to order when you get to the window. I realized that meant that car #2 and #3 in line hadn't even placed their order yet and we were doing entire orders one at a time and that would basically triple my anticipated wait time, so I backed out and didn't get a float.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Broham
shindig

Post by shindig »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:22 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:57 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:52 am The biggest joke has to be fries at Long John Silver's. How do those even get out of testing?

Pretty much all fries are good, but cold LJS fries are inedible.
I just can't fathom what would make one even have the opportunity to sample Long John Silver's fries.
There is a secret popupation of our country that must love LJS....because i have no idea how they stay in business.
Meh, sometimes I'll just get a craving for some LJS...I usually get the fish/chicken combo with a side of cole slaw and fries. It's good hang over food when you haven't eaten all day.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:58 pm
I know this is off topic, so back to fries. I would have assumed that slowly heating the oil with the fries inside would make them soggy. I know that's what happens when you fry them at too low of a temperature for the duration of the cooking.
Actually this double fry (colder oil first, then hotter oil) is the Belgian/Dutch way of making fries. You’re absolutely right about the soggy texture when cooked at lower temperature. But what this does is that the inside cooks and then the outside is crisped at the second fry at a higher temperature. You’ll see a whole shelf of half cooked fries which the Belgians then drop into the second fryer when you order.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

zsn wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 pm
I know this is off topic, so back to fries. I would have assumed that slowly heating the oil with the fries inside would make them soggy. I know that's what happens when you fry them at too low of a temperature for the duration of the cooking.
Actually this double fry (colder oil first, then hotter oil) is the Belgian/Dutch way of making fries. You’re absolutely right about the soggy texture when cooked at lower temperature. But what this does is that the inside cooks and then the outside is crisped at the second fry at a higher temperature. You’ll see a whole shelf of half cooked fries which the Belgians then drop into the second fryer when you order.
No, what you're describing is how I do it and posted it earlier.
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:46 pm

At home, I use fresh russets, cut by hand, cook for 4 minutes at 270 degrees in peanut oil, then let them cool (in a single layer - important not to have a mound of potatoes) heat oil up to 390 degrees, fry again for 2-3 minutes, salt immediately.

The link 99 posted, you start with potatoes in a cold pan, you add the oil, then heat up gradually over medium heat for 25-30 minutes, then raise the temperature to medium-high and cook for 15 minutes.

They way I described, and the way I believe Belgian fries are cooked are frying them two separate times at two discrete temperatures in oil that is already heated to said temperature.

What 99 posted was a gradual increase in temperature but you never take the fries out of the oil. Which is VERY different.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 pm
Same reason you parboil first, right?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Isn’t the one pot process essentially the two-step process at once? You’re integrating the low temperature cooking when you start from room temperature. That’s what I was intending to post, but it came out the way it ended up 😄😄
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Am i the only one that doesnt really like fries? Ill eat them,but i dont like them all that much
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I like them if they're done well. If not, they're filler.
I had a McD's QP meal the other day. With cheese. Burger was stale and nasty. Fries were hot out of the fryer and pretty dang good.
Broham
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Majority of the time I find McDonnies QPs to be nasty. Not sure why it's possible to make one that is really good but most of the time they suck.
McDonnies fries - Most of the time they are good but plenty of times I have had BAD McDonnies fries.

Not that anyone cares or should care but yesterday I did NOT take advantage of national fry/fries day.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:03 pm Am i the only one that doesnt really like fries? Ill eat them,but i dont like them all that much
I like them a lot.

Relatedly, it CHAPS MY ASS when restaurants serve non-fresh-made chips as a side.

I can open a bag of Sysco-brand kettle chips at home, thanks. I'm paying for fries.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 am
TDub wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:03 pm Am i the only one that doesnt really like fries? Ill eat them,but i dont like them all that much
I like them a lot.

Relatedly, it CHAPS MY ASS when restaurants serve non-fresh-made chips as a side.

I can open a bag of Sysco-brand kettle chips at home, thanks. I'm paying for fries.
Yea, i mean, i understand the sentiment. But I'm still going chips usually. I like seasoned curly fries and waffle fries. Regular fries are purelt sustenance
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This is tangential, but perhaps even worse than chips at a restaurant is a side salad.

Instead of fries or chips, an extra $2.95 for 15 cents worth of iceberg lettuce with some squishy diced tomatoes on top? Ugh
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 am
I like them a lot.

Yea, i mean, i understand the sentiment. But I'm still going chips usually. I like seasoned curly fries and waffle fries. Regular fries are purelt sustenance
I strongly prefer alternatives to regular fries. But I'll take regular fries over chips.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Depends on the restaurant, and i'd mostly agree, but i've had some very good side salads.
But fries is the right call.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wish I had a Popeyes in my area.

Their sides put every other fast food joint to shame.