Whoa! Hurley to the Lakers.

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: Whoa! Hurley to the Lakers.

Post by DeletedUser »

It'd be really shitty to his players to leave at this stage of the offseason now that the portal has closed. Especially since this job has been open since before the portal closed and there weren't any indications from them that this was a real possibility until the last week or so.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:11 pm
pdub wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:18 pm A. UConn raise
B. UConn attention
My feeling too.
And we were right.
Hurley's staying.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:53 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:11 pm
pdub wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:18 pm A. UConn raise
B. UConn attention
My feeling too.
And we were right.
Hurley's staying.
And the Knicks and Nets HC seats just got extra hot for next off season.

Hurley does not seem like a west coast/Cali type person. I think he'd fucking hate LA.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I think Hurley is a great coach. I wonder if his talents fit better with college than they do with the NBA?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:25 pm I think Hurley is a great coach. I wonder if his talents fit better with college than they do with the NBA?
No idea about talents. I think his interests certainly do; I think he very much likes being the star.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

$70M over 6 years ($11.6M per) tells me LA wasn’t/isn’t all that serious about getting the best guy in there

Spoelstra: $120M over 8 ($15M per)

Kerr: $17.5M per

Williams (Pistons): $13M per
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:58 pm $70M over 6 years ($11.6M per) tells me LA wasn’t/isn’t all that serious about getting the best guy in there

He doesn't deserve Spo and Kerr money, imo.

Unproven college coach. They typically don't do well/last long.

I don't think any of it was ever that serious. I think he listened to gain leverage at UConn and prime the NBA pump for when he does make the leap so that he can get his pick of east coast NBA jobs.....and then I think the Lakers leaked their "offer" to him to set their market for the guy they're actually going to hire (JJ).

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked, based on rumors and the fact they've already interviewed a handful of people before this "Hurley is our top pick" rumor started, if this whole Hurley fiasco wasn't mostly a negotiating tactic by LA for their ongoing talks with JJ. He probably slow rolled them hoping to get a better idea about LeBron and the draft, and now they're growing inpatient.

Which is why they let it get public that they plan to hire a coach "before the draft". Yeah, right.

AD trade rumors flying around. Everyone knows LeBron is opting out if someone takes Bronny. And they want someone pre-draft? Scary situation for an unproven coach to go into.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:12 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:58 pm $70M over 6 years ($11.6M per) tells me LA wasn’t/isn’t all that serious about getting the best guy in there

I don't think any of it was ever that serious. I think he listened to gain leverage at UConn and prime the NBA pump for when he does make the leap so that he can get his pick of east coast NBA jobs.....and then I think the Lakers leaked their "offer" to him to set their market for the guy they're actually going to hire (JJ).

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked, based on rumors and the fact they've already interviewed a handful of people, if this whole Hurley fiasco wasn't mostly a negotiating tactic by LA for their ongoing talks with JJ. He probably slow rolled them hoping to get a better idea about LeBron and the draft, and now they're growing inpatient.

Which is why they let it get public that they plan to hire a coach "before the draft". Yeah, right.

AD trade rumors flying around. Everyone knows LeBron is opting out if someone takes Bronny. And they want someone pre-draft? Scary situation for an unproven coach to go into.
this is par for the course for LA tho, as far as low-balling coach pay
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:13 pm

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked, based on rumors and the fact they've already interviewed a handful of people, if this whole Hurley fiasco wasn't mostly a negotiating tactic by LA for their ongoing talks with JJ. He probably slow rolled them hoping to get a better idea about LeBron and the draft, and now they're growing inpatient.

Oh for sure, they're sort of lost right now it seems. Totally stuck until the LeBron thing plays out.

....and IF he stays and AD stays, they're totally stuck until LeBron retires/leaves.

They're not good enough to roll through a regular season. Regardless of how well I think they can do in the playoffs where their style works better (and their energy is better), you can't expect to sneak in as one of the last teams every year and think it's a solid method. Could it work? Sure. It worked 2 years ago when they made the conference finals, but this year they got stuck playing 1 of the best teams without home court advantage.

They're fucked without some creative moves, trading AD (which isn’t a guarantee to even make you better in the short term), or getting super lucky with the draft. Or beg LeBron to sign for the vet minimum so you can sign someone.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

hurley gets pay bump from uconn…now the 3rd highest paid college coach
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:48 am hurley gets pay bump from uconn…now the 3rd highest paid college coach
Is Self #1 or is it Calipari now?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't know if dropping $100mm on Hurley would have been a good or bad idea, who knows. It all seems fairly inconsequential: the Lakers are headed for another fallow period, soon.

But, were I still a Lakers fan, I would be pissed about ownership constantly (but semi-privately) crying poor.

The Lakers haven't been sold in generations. They haven't had to build their own arena or even practice facility. Cost of attendance is astronomical.

If ownership is cash-poor, it is so by choice. Any major bank would be willing to solve cash flow problems tomorrow.

It just costs money.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:48 am hurley gets pay bump from uconn…now the 3rd highest paid college coach
How much of his pay bump does he give to Pelinka and all the other Lakers execs who made him the offer?
Kind of ridiculous it took the Lakers offer for UConn to give him the pay bump.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:22 am
Is Self #1 or is it Calipari now?
Self
cal
hurley
izzo
pearl
barnes
drew
underwood
sampson
oats
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:53 am

I don't know if dropping $100mm on Hurley would have been a good or bad idea, who knows. It all seems fairly inconsequential: the Lakers are headed for another fallow period, soon.

But, were I still a Lakers fan, I would be pissed about ownership constantly (but semi-privately) crying poor.

The Lakers haven't been sold in generations. They haven't had to build their own arena or even practice facility. Cost of attendance is astronomical.

If ownership is cash-poor, it is so by choice. Any major bank would be willing to solve cash flow problems tomorrow.

It just costs money.
from what i’ve been reading, it falls at the feet of jeanie buss

the spending priorities changed when she took over, and stopped prioritizing coaching (at all levels)