NBA Summer League 2024

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: NBA Summer League 2024

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:20 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:04 pm you're kidding yourself if you think Bronny is worthy of a spot on any NBA roster.
Worthy compared to what though?

Is he one of the 15 worst players in the NBA? Absolutely.

My point is that 55th picks usually don't last long regardless. And even more rare that they turn out to be quality NBA players.

So the opportunity cost of drafting him instead of the guys drafted after him or not drafted at all is relatively non existent.

For instance, is McCullar better at basketball currently than Bronny? Absolutely. Are either going to be in the NBA in 5 years? Probably not.
none of that matters to me

imo, he was drafted because of who his dad is, not because of his basketball skills. similarly, i personally think he was given a spot at USC because of who his dad is and not because of his basketball skills

if he were actually a decent player, and this didn’t look so nepotism-esque, i wouldn’t care one bit
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:02 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:04 pm you're kidding yourself if you think Bronny is worthy of a spot on any NBA roster.

My point is that 55th picks usually don't last long regardless. And even more rare that they turn out to be quality NBA players.

So the opportunity cost of drafting him instead of the guys drafted after him or not drafted at all is relatively non existent.

For instance, is McCullar better at basketball currently than Bronny? Absolutely. Are either going to be in the NBA in 5 years? Probably not.

imo, he was drafted because of who his dad is, not because of his basketball skills. similarly, i personally think he was given a spot at USC because of who his dad is and not because of his basketball skills

if he were actually a decent player, and this didn’t look so nepotism-esque, i wouldn’t care one bit
Totally fair.

And you're not wrong.

Although, I don't think USC was 100% because of his dad. He was a very good high school player pre heart issue. I am sure it wasn't 0% either. Somewhere in between. And let's be real, KU would have gladly taken him too.

The NBA is 100% of his dad. And frankly, his dad didn't hold a gun to the Lakers head to draft him. It's simply a reflection of just how good and important LeBron is to the Lakers. Both in helping them win and also in helping them make money.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

It will be interesting to see how Carmello's kid is received (Kiyan Anthony). He's doing really well in HS. He's ranked around 30th nationally and has had some big games recently.

To a lesser extent the Boozer twins also.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:02 pm

He was drafted by the Lakers because of who his dad is. He very well may be been drafted by another team because of who his dad is.
He wouldn't have been drafted if he didn't have any basketball skills but I agree he wasn't drafted BECAUSE of his basketball skills.
He may have been given a spot at USC because of who his dad is but his basketball skills coming out of High School were good enough for him to have gone to a lot of schools and get significant playing time - if I was his father and his last name was Gutter.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Park Braun got some minutes and put up some numbers. Other than points.
4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block - in 11 minutes.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

In other jayhawk related news....Jalen dropped 27pts tonight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9gNtKfAU4M ... Nxd3FzNg==
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:22 pm In other jayhawk related news....Jalen dropped 27pts tonight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9gNtKfAU4M ... Nxd3FzNg==
Not taking too much away from Jalen because I feel he is a guy who can be (and at times has been) a solid contributor in the NBA, but let's realize in gutter lingo - he is a man playing against boys. Sure a FEW guys he plays against in Summer League are NBA players but the rest, some weren't even very good college players.

On a side note - People were discussing Bronny James and what should be expected of him and what should be expected of the 55th pick in the draft. Wilson was the 51st pick. Call me crazy, but I think in a couple of seasons Bronny COULD/MIGHT (not a definitive will) be as good of an NBA player as Jalen Wilson.

On another side note - Furphy has been playing well. Has to help his confidence BUT.... I just don't see him being any type of factor his rookie season. Yes, he may get garbage minutes and put up some numbers but I laugh when I think about him going up against guys who are NBA All-Stars. Which I don't think he will but if he were to - I feel he would be a young boy against men - and look pretty silly.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Saw an interesting stat...

Alex Sarr, the 2nd pick, averaged 6.7pts per game, while shooting worse than Bronny (19.5% vs 22.6%), including an 0/15 game.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Bronny summer league highlights (joke)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C9fVP3ux ... VseXFrajhz
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:10 am Saw an interesting stat...

Alex Sarr, the 2nd pick, averaged 6.7pts per game, while shooting worse than Bronny (19.5% vs 22.6%), including an 0/15 game.

Meanwhile, the Bools got themselves a steal. ;)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Bronny had his best game of summer league.

Figured I'd point it out because I know if he had a shitty game someone would.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yay Bronny!
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:02 am Bronny had his best game of summer league.

That and $2.25 gets him...... a ride on a CTA bus?
Crazy thing to me is while this is basically a tryout for 75% of the players playing in summer league, he will get paid the same no matter if he averaged 25 a game shooting 70% or averaged 2.5 a game shooting 7%.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:18 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:02 am Bronny had his best game of summer league.

That and a GOAT daddy gets him a 4yr guaranteed contact?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:20 pm

Bronnys dad is MJ?
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Yes, I very vaguely implied that in the rest of my post.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:37 pm

Bronnys dad is MJ?
Exactly my thoughts.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:25 pm

Bronnys dad is MJ?
Exactly my thoughts.
Which is more GOAT like, your son getting a four year $7.9 million contract or your son banging the shit out of your asshole teammate's ex wife? I would be proud of my son either way.
Now to LeBron's credit, his teammate banged his mother so he has that going for him over MJ.

Moving on.
Furphy with a bad game. JWil with a good game.
Braun didn't get off the bench.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:25 pm
Overlander wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:25 pm

Bronnys dad is MJ?
Exactly my thoughts.
Which is more GOAT like, your son getting a four year $7.9 million contract or your son banging the shit out of your asshole teammate's ex wife? I would be proud of my son either way.
Now to LeBron's credit, his teammate banged his mother so he has that going for him over MJ.

Moving on.
Furphy with a bad game. JWil with a good game.
Braun didn't get off the bench.
I'd say what your son does, or doesn't do has 0 to do with GOAT status.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Jalen 33 and 10 plus the game winner