Remy's Knee Thread:

Kansas Basketball.
Qusdahl

Re: Remy's Knee Thread:

Post by Qusdahl »

At this point, even if he unexpectedly checks in and just hits a shot or two when we need it one game, that’s still a good player to have
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

If he's healthy enough to play I fully expect him to resume his full role as 6th man. It's not like Yesufu beat him out and took his minutes, he's just hurt.

Maybe having a few weeks to do nothing but sit on the bench and watch/listen/learn will do him worlds of good? That's equally as realistic a thing to think could happen as it is to assume 50 extra game minutes in November/December would be the difference for Yesufu.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

We just watched Clemence sit out for 6 weeks, come back in and immediately fill his role.

Not sure why all our guys can't have that approach.

If Remy is healthy why wouldn't he have the same role now as prior to the injury?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:26 pm We just watched Clemence sit out for 6 weeks, come back in and immediately fill his role.

If Remy is healthy why wouldn't he have the same role now as prior to the injury?
The only issue is that I don't think even Remy knew what his role truly was prior to his injury. He was only effective as the 6th man energy guy role for about 1/2 of one game. But yeah, I agree that he should be able to serve in the same role if he is healthy enough to play.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:32 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:26 pm We just watched Clemence sit out for 6 weeks, come back in and immediately fill his role.

The only issue is that I don't think even Remy knew what his role truly was prior to his injury. He was only effective as the 6th man energy guy role for about 1/2 of one game.
I'll take it.

I'm not as down on DH as most here are, but I'd like to have Remy as the guy in late game situations when we need a bucket.
If Self will do that. It seems like they should be an offense/defense platoon in a lot of late game situations.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:36 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:32 pm

The only issue is that I don't think even Remy knew what his role truly was prior to his injury. He was only effective as the 6th man energy guy role for about 1/2 of one game.
I'll take it.

I'm not as down on DH as most here are, but I'd like to have Remy as the guy in late game situations when we need a bucket.
If Self will do that. It seems like they should be an offense/defense platoon in a lot of late game situations.
Harris has strengths that win games but his weaknesses also make it harder to win because good opponents can just assign a defender to shadow Agbaji all night without and still feel like they have a 4-3 advantage.

There are fortunately not a ton of teams that are good enough to lock up Agbaji with 1 defender. But good teams can.

I don't know, this team just doesn't quite fit together. Imagine this roster with Dok or Dotson. Or even next year's Harris. Just been a year off at a few spots for a few years.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think the face guarding of Och is about Och and not Harris. When teams double off of Harris that's on him. Face guarding och means at the very least is a lack of threat by all 4 other players.

I agree with your last point though. We always seem to have a guy or two forced to play ahead of schedule recently.

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Senior Dotson would be so nice on this team.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:08 pm I think the face guarding of Och is about Och and not Harris. When teams double off of Harris that's on him. Face guarding och means at the very least is a lack of threat by all 4 other players.

I agree with your last point though. We always seem to have a guy or two forced to play ahead of schedule recently.
need to run some backdoor and backscreens for him. Face guarding is annoying as shit, but the overplay can be exploited and it puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the help defense....which we also need to be better at exploiting.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It is about Harris though. He lacks the strength of a PG and the defenses can easily shift to Braun or whoever has the hot hand. Braun has been great though at creating shots in traffic. So has Wilson lately. The team needs another strong driver and shooter. Which should be Remy. Harris needs to be dialed back.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Not having to guard harris gives teams a ton of defensively flexibility. And the whole league is using the same blueprint. Apply as much attention and pressure as possible to Ochai. Apply as little attention as possible to dajuan, just don't let him get all the way to the rim uncontested. Use dajuans man to trap and pressure others. And guard everyone else relatively straight up, while throwing a little more attention towards ochai
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Dajuan is really good filling a few roles, making him a serviceable above average role-player. But he sucks at a few things too, making him a total hindrance towards this teams ceiling
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But remys strengths and weaknesses are almost the opposite 9f dajuans. So (if he comes back healthy) Remy gives us a much different look, but im not sure it makes us better
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Sparko wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:51 pm It is about Harris though. He lacks the strength of a PG and the defenses can easily shift to Braun or whoever has the hot hand. Braun has been great though at creating shots in traffic. So has Wilson lately. The team needs another strong driver and shooter. Which should be Remy. Harris needs to be dialed back.
Like I said, doubling off of Harris is a Harris problem. Face guarding another player isn't. They're two very different things.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
Face guarding Ochai just means that dude is Ochai's shadow. He's not focused on help defense. Or switching screens. Or rebounding. He's effectively taken himself out of the game ( and hopefully does the same to his opponent ). They are face guarding because Ochai is a top player in the nation.

So in this case, it's 4 on 4 but, if you are in the Harris doesn't need to be guarded camp, it's now 3 on 4, with the 3 being KU.

All this said, the decision to face guard might be easier without a deadly scoring point - i.e. as mentioned, any iteration ( freshman, sophomore, or hypothetical upperclassman ) of Dotson.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:14 am Yes.
Face guarding Ochai just means that dude is Ochai's shadow. He's not focused on help defense. Or switching screens. Or rebounding. He's effectively taken himself out of the game ( and hopefully does the same to his opponent ). They are face guarding because Ochai is a top player in the nation.

So in this case, it's 4 on 4 but, if you are in the Harris doesn't need to be guarded camp, it's now 3 on 4, with the 3 being KU.

All this said, the decision to face guard might be easier without a deadly scoring point - i.e. as mentioned, any iteration ( freshman, sophomore, or hypothetical upperclassman ) of Dotson.
Right but it says as much about Braun, Wilson, and McCormack as it does Harris.

And teams face guard och when yes subs in for Harris.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't fully agree there because you still see double teams on DMac.
And you still see players sagging off Harris.
And as much as randy would argue otherwise, I don't see Yes as some deadly threat, so face guarding is still no issue with him or JCL in.

With a dangerous point guard who can score, your decision to "loose" a defender from helping stop penetration or switching on screens etc is a tougher one. I'm not sure teams would face guard Ochai with a sophomore Dotson because now Dotson has one fewer guard to worry about and more space to work with. Essentially you can look at the final play of the Texas game -- Ochai led his defender completely out of the picture -- but imagine that was Dotson with the ball with one guy to beat and all that lane space.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:27 am I don't fully agree there because you still see double teams on DMac.
And you still see players sagging off Harris.

And as much as randy would argue otherwise, I don't see Yes as some deadly threat, so face guarding is still no issue with him or JCL in.

With a dangerous point guard who can score, your decision to "loose" a defender from helping stop penetration or switching on screens etc is a tougher one. I'm not sure teams would face guard Ochai with a sophomore Dotson because now Dotson has one fewer guard to worry about and more space to work with. Essentially you can look at the final play of the Texas game -- Ochai led his defender completely out of the picture -- but imagine that was Dotson with the ball with one guy to beat and all that lane space.
Again...those are completely different than face guarding.

Harris is to blame any time his man leaves to guard someone else.

Face guarding Och has nothing to do with Harris individually.

To your point about dotson.... we just need another threat to score. It doesn't have to come from the pg position. If they're willing to play 4 on 4 to take och out...it's either about och, or it's about the other 4 guys collectively. Braun or Wilson need to step up into that "Dotson" role of exploiting extra space.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Normally I agree PhD, but focusing on guarding Och is an easy luxury when you are 5 on 4. If the guy gets picked someone else faceguards. Using that kind of energy is a luxury, period. Allows your own offense to be lethargic in one spot recovering between posessions. Yes has shooting ability. He needed more minutes to get into the flow as it is a different game for a PG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And they kind of are.
Wilson had 22. Braun had 18. Dmac had 11.
Those were our 3 highest scores.

I still think the main reason why Ochai is being face guarded is because he's so good.
But also Harris not being a threat makes that decision easier.

It's like going to a BBQ joint with 5 mains but the joint is known for their world class brisket.
The other mains are pulled pork, chicken, ribs and a veggie burger.
You were likely going to get the brisket anyways but the veggie burger makes that choice easier.