NBA 23/24

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: NBA 23/24

Post by ousdahl »

I don't "blame" Lebron for who the Lakers picked, but I just think it's at the very least quite the coincidence that he is buddies with JJ.

And add the chance Lebron isn't even a Laker next year to the list of reasons why the hire might end up being hilarious.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:01 pm I don't "blame" Lebron for who the Lakers picked, but I just think it's at the very least quite the coincidence that he is buddies with JJ.

And add the chance Lebron isn't even a Laker next year to the list of reasons why the hire might end up being hilarious.
I don't think JJ was hired because he is friends with LeBron. And if he was, it was because the Lakers front office thought it would help them keep LeBron.

LeBron has a very good relationship with the Lakers front office. He has been honest that he didn't want to be involved in the coaching search out of fairness to them, because everyone knows if Bronny gets drafted by someone other than the Lakers that there is a decent chance LeBron opts out and goes there.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea. If not because he was friends with Lebron explicitly and exclusively, it still had to have been and has to be at least some factor in the decision.

Especially considering the lack of coaching experience, it seems at least a tad nepotistic.

How often does a dood go from teevee talking head to head coach of a pro team? Is there any precedent there, and if so, how'd it go?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Bridges to the Knicks? The Villanova gang is complete
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:42 pm Which is interesting since the Lakers said LeBron wanted nothing to do with the coaching search, long before JJ was chosen.

So you're blaming LeBron for who the Lakers picked? Even though there is a decent chance LeBron isn't even a Laker next year? And even though JJ himself said, out of respect for their friendship, that he didn't even talk to LeBron about the job?

People lie. A lot. I don't believe any of that, not for a second.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, aren't the two so close they like just recently started a podcast together?

that's pretty buddy buddy to also have it not even come up.

like what kind of person would be like, "yeah so I applied to a job position at the same place as you, in which we would be working very very closely together, but out of respect for our friendship, I don't think we should talk about it"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Seems like a good way to stress a friendship. Makes sense to me. LeBron can opt out. It would not be fair to LeBron, as a friend, to start asking hypothetical questions.

The Lakers did include AD in their discussions about potential head coaches though. Fucking GM wannabe!

Also, nobody said LeBron didn't know JJ was one of their top targets. We've all known that for months. But I think it's 100% believable that out of fairness to each other they didn't discuss it.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:27 pm yea. If not because he was friends with Lebron explicitly and exclusively, it still had to have been and has to be at least some factor in the decision.

Especially considering the lack of coaching experience, it seems at least a tad nepotistic.

How often does a dood go from teevee talking head to head coach of a pro team? Is there any precedent there, and if so, how'd it go?
Off the top of my head.... You ever hear of a guy named Steve Kerr? :? If he doesn't count (he didn't go "directly" from tv to head coach) then how about Mark Jackson? I'll give it some more thought.
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would bet LeBron talked to JJ about it at some point. I also bet he’s probably talked to management about JJ at some point. But also I believe he’s probably distanced himself from being more involved than that…and that’s on the GM and not LeBron if Reddick fails.

LeBron is good so yes he will influence decisions even if just from a simple “yea I like the guy.”

Mahomes wanted CEH drafted. How’d that work out?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:42 am I would bet LeBron talked to JJ about it at some point. I also bet he’s probably talked to management about JJ at some point. But also I believe he’s probably distanced himself from being more involved than that…and that’s on the GM and not LeBron if Reddick fails.

LeBron is good so yes he will influence decisions even if just from a simple “yea I like the guy.”

Mahomes wanted CEH drafted. How’d that work out?
Yes, I would bet too (despite my lack of success betting). I say there is ZERO chance LeBron and JJ didn't talk about the prospect of JJ coaching the Lakers and ZERO chance JJ was was not at least talked about about by management with LeBron.

As far as your CEH question, I don't think it worked out as well as Mahomes thought/wanted but to me, the guy proved from his very first game that he was not a bad pick. Of course now we know there were better options with the 31st pick but.....Hind sight is 20/20.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CEH thus far has been a bad pick.
A 7th round pick is starting over him.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:04 am CEH thus far has been a bad pick.
A 7th round pick is starting over him.
Ok, I can/will give you he was a bad pick but when they picked him I don't think/feel he was a bad pick.
Neither did the Chiefs.

Getting back to Redick, while doubtful, the guy may win a NBA Championship next season - and I will still think he was a bad (or at least poor) choice.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If he wins a title he would have been a great choice.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I think Hurley was equally as risky as JJ. Maybe more risky because Hurley's personality is typically not an ideal fit for NBA players.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

I don't know if I believe the accusation or not (I'm leaning towards not) but this made me think about several things, of which none I care to share at the moment.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/25/sports/jj ... n-college/
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

So Lebaby got his 0 experience coach to scapegoat and bullied his way into forcing them to draft his son to keep him around instead of bettering his team.

well done. He ain't no goat.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Lakers could have chosen one (pun intended) to not hire JJ and draft Bronny. I have more of an issue with them than I do LeBron.
A lot of contract adjustment/movement/opting/etc. started today.
Here is the NOT funny thing. I seriously believe if the Lakers stay healthy (highly doubtful but....) they will somehow win the 2025 NBA Championship.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:21 am Lakers could have chosen one (pun intended) to not hire JJ and draft Bronny. I have more of an issue with them than I do LeBron.
A lot of contract adjustment/movement/opting/etc. started today.
Here is the NOT funny thing. I seriously believe if the Lakers stay healthy (highly doubtful but....) they will somehow win the 2025 NBA Championship.
wanna bet?
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

LeBron opts out. Plans to stay in LA.

Lets see if he takes a big paycut so they can sign some real dudes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:05 pm LeBron opts out. Plans to stay in LA.

Lets see if he takes a big paycut so they can sign some real dudes.
I believe a report from an ESPN LA guy, McMenamin, who says Bron is basically giving the Lakers a week to find an impact player with the midlevel exception (or else he’s going to take the max again).