F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by KUTradition »

i had to lol at the coverage of his “long-awaited” return

the Today Show even did a piece on it

a lotta hype for kid who hasn’t done much of anything other than come out of his dad’s balls
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

No one knows how much anyone is making in NIL $$$$$ies, Gutter. It's private information.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:51 pm Marvin Harrison Jr. reportedly getting offers between 15-20 million (! fucking million) in NIL to stay at Ohio St next year.

Fuck all this stupid shit.

"Same opportunities as other students" right fish?

Man I recall all those multi million dollar offers I got to spend the night at the library trying to get that paper done on time...
"Reportedly". In today's media world where any dipshit with an iPhone calls himself a "media member", I take reports of things like this for what they are worth.

Nothing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:51 pm Marvin Harrison Jr. reportedly getting offers between 15-20 million (! fucking million) in NIL to stay at Ohio St next year.

Man I recall all those multi million dollar offers I got to spend the night at the library trying to get that paper done on time...
This is disingenuous. You know that "same opportunities" does not mean "same dollars."
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:50 am No one knows how much anyone is making in NIL $$$$$ies, Gutter. It's private information.
Plenty of people know approximately how much NIL money someone is getting - because to the best of my limited knowledge it is public information - if the athletes want it to be.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:07 am

"Reportedly". In today's media world where any dipshit with an iPhone calls himself a "media member", I take reports of things like this for what they are worth.

Nothing.
That's wise depending on who/what the source is.
I was with people on Saturday who are very involved with NIL "investments". Seems the sky is the limit. At least for now it is.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:47 am

Nothing.
I was with people on Saturday who are very involved with NIL "investments". Seems the sky is the limit. At least for now it is.
Rich people like to throw their money at their favorite sports teams as a measure of their status so nothing surprises me.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:19 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:47 am

Nothing.
Rich people like to throw their money at their favorite sports teams as a measure of their status so nothing surprises me.
Right.

I'll be interested to see, a few years down the line, the extent to which all of this represents actual new money in college sports, as opposed to a reallocation of the money already being spent (on indirect athlete enticements, like fancy locker rooms and dorms, and on administrator/coach salaries).

Which isn't to say that critics of money in college sports are bad or "wrong" or whatever. But I do think context is important in digesting the impact all of this is actually having.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:43 am

This is disingenuous. You know that "same opportunities" does not mean "same dollars."
it's no less disingenuous than the stuff you've been posting over the last 200 pages. indentured servitude and whatnot.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:59 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:43 am

it's no less disingenuous than the stuff you've been posting over the last 200 pages. indentured servitude and whatnot.
I did not jump in here today, calling you out by name and knowingly mischaracterizing your position. I would ask that you not do that to me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I mean, these are your quotes:

"Seems like there's some sort of historical precedent for this system, vis a vis passage to America, or payment of debts."

""Amateurism," as applied in the modern economy, really does echo indentured servitude from the 1600s..."
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it ain't easy walking yourself back from a 204 page hole.

i might just walk away. rather than even try.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:14 am I mean, this was your quote:

""Amateurism," as applied in the modern economy, really does echo indentured servitude from the 1600s..."
In my opinion, the qualifiers (explicit and implied) in what I said put the comparison into appropriate context. I appreciate that you feel differently.

But - and you can acknowledge this, or not - I think I have bent over backwards in trying to approach these issues with restraint, and with a much more even and non-confrontational tone in the very long period of time - years - that has gone by since all of this stuff peaked in animosity and bitterness.

I have tried very hard to clearly and openly and repeatedly recognize the validity of, and to be respectful of, opinions that are not aligned with mine. I have avoided personal attacks and avoided contributing toward superheated rhetoric on this topic, and I have appreciated that we - you and I - have (especially recently) had interesting exchanges on this topic that did not devolve into ugliness.

I'm not the one dredging back up the bitterest parts of this fight.

I do, though, object to being called out by name in a manner that mischaracterizes one of the fundamental parts of my point, which is that athletes should have the same opportunities as other, similarly-situated students.

If Josephine Chemistry Major is YouTube-famous for fun experiments she does while in college, she wouldn't be barred from going to college just because someone pays her $10 million to advertise on her YouTube channel.

That's all I'm saying when we are talking about equivalency in opportunity.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You called TDub disingenuous.
He returned your comment with one of his own simply calling out something that you literally posted on here - on this very thread.
And now you're saying your position was mischaracterized.

You didn't retreat from those comments at the time by the way.
You doubled down.

Are you saying now that, I dunno, wanting amateur sports to stay that way instead of whatever shit show we have now isn't racist and never was ( CnB's words that you jumped aboard with ) and really has nothing to do with indentured servitude?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:34 am You called TDub disingenuous.
He returned your comment with one of his own simply calling out something that you literally posted on here - on this very thread.

You doubled down.

Are you saying now that, I dunno, wanting amateur sports to stay that way instead of whatever shit show we have now isn't racist and never was ( CnB's words that you jumped aboard with ) and really has nothing to do with indentured servitude?
I have chosen, and will continue to choose, not to escalate things here back toward their worst point. As I said, I have greatly appreciated that we have found a way to discuss these things without deteriorating back to that tone and atmosphere on the board. I would ask that, if I'm called out by name in relation to the things we are discussing here now, my point now not be knowingly mischaracterized.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It may have spiraled out if control like every other well-intentioned scheme.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sparko wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:09 pm It may have spiraled out if control like every other well-intentioned scheme.
gee, who could've seen that coming
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:43 am

You doubled down.

I have chosen, and will continue to choose, not to escalate things here back toward their worst point. As I said, I have greatly appreciated that we have found a way to discuss these things without deteriorating back to that tone and atmosphere on the board. I would ask that, if I'm called out by name in relation to the things we are discussing here now, my point now not be knowingly mischaracterized.
And, I would argue nothing I said was disingenuous.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:13 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:43 am

You doubled down.

And, I would argue nothing I said was disingenuous.
Ok. Moving on from personal, then.

Tell me your view on why an athlete should be subject to different treatment than Josephine Chemistry Major. I just have a very hard time seeing why a student uniquely talented at sports should be treated differently from a student uniquely talented at other things.

In my opinion, the best argument against my view would be that the athlete might be reliant on KU assets in a way that another student might not be. But, in my opinion, there are ways to address that that stop well short of telling the athlete he or she is simply forbidden from profiting off her name/image/likeness as an absolute condition to playing college sports.

And yes, the foundation of my opinion (which I understand is not shared) is that as a general matter, college sports are better when great athletes choose to play in college, so we should be looking to encourage great athletes to choose to play in college.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

they already we're treated different, much much better in fact.
Just Ledoux it