Dogs

Coffee talk.
DeletedUser

Re: Dogs

Post by DeletedUser »

This didn't get any attention so you tried another thread with an expanded storyline?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:44 pm We put our dog down today.
She had a tumor on her heart.

When the horseflies up here bothered her she would snap at them and catch them with her mouth. She caught two this afternoon before she collapsed.

I’ll miss her.
Just seeing this for the first time.
Hurts me just reading it - and I never knew her.
I'm sorry pdub!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:20 am am I the asshole?
Seems so
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Thanks all.
Some of us know.
All of us will eventually with our loved ones.

This was the first time I’ve been in the room for the moment and I’m glad I was because I knew she knew I was with her for whatever came next whether it was absolutely nothing or something else.

And knowing my last moments that’s what I’d want. Knowing completely unconditional love was there supporting me in the final weird scary unknown moments here.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that’s both heartbreaking and heartwarming
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Nicely written Pdub.
After reading I got outwardly emotional about my recently lost girl for the first time in a little bit.

But I needed it I think, so thanks
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Mrs Overlander had to put her dog down a few months ago.
(Some of you here met Tonka.)

12 amazing years with that dog. The Mrs still gets watery eyed.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hell it's been 3 years since I had to put down my best bud. He's still the background on my phone. He was one helluva dog. I've got 2 others right now and they're great. But they're not him.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

our eldest turns 9 in October

she’s seeing a neurologist expert next tuesday for some issues she’s had recently. i hate thinking about us entering into the last 3rd or so of her life. by far the best dog either my wife or i have had in our lives
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

3 dogs living in different apartments on my floor.
One is a cute little Yorkie owned by a sweet elderly lady. I NEVER hear it bark.
One belongs to an unfriendly dillwad and his unfriendly significant other. It barks all the time. Loudly. It is as unfriendly as the couple that owns it. It is the only dog I know that I can say I don't like.
One I met for the first time tonight. I have heard it bark (kind of like yelp) a few times but had never seen it. It Belongs to a girl that lives 2 apartments over. I think she moved in about a month ago. Grey French Bulldog named Gus (I asked - girl told me). Dude is a winner! May be my new best friend.
So, how weird would it be if I told the girl (I didn't ask her what her name is. LOL) that I would be happy to dog sit (and walk) her dog if she ever needs me to? My biggest concern is that I might become too attached.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:39 pm My biggest concern is that I might become too attached.
Break up with her
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

I pulled a 180 in regards to my feelings about the dog. __________ was barking pretty much non stop for about 2.5 hours. Was literally making me go crazy. Didn't know what to do.
Got to the point where I was strongly considering calling security but instead I put on headphones and listened to music.
My hope is the girl wasn't home and it was separation anxiety and/or it needed/wanted to go outside to piss/shit.
If it's an on going thing I am going to first talk to the girl about it. Not sure what if anything she can do. Not sure what if anything I can do.
Thankfully after I closed my bedroom door (helped with the barking noise) I was able to fall asleep. Dog isn't barking now.

Problem is now I am awake with heartburn/indigestion. I'm assuming the salami is playing a role.
Not a good evening/morning.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:14 pm Thanks all.
Some of us know.
All of us will eventually with our loved ones.

This was the first time I’ve been in the room for the moment and I’m glad I was because I knew she knew I was with her for whatever came next whether it was absolutely nothing or something else.

And knowing my last moments that’s what I’d want. Knowing completely unconditional love was there supporting me in the final weird scary unknown moments here.
I'm sorry you've had to go through this. I'm glad for your perspective.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

there’s a special place in hell for people like this

https://people.com/hikers-find-german-s ... on-8675323
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

So my 40ish pound English setter just ate a baby bunny (probably less than a day old) in about 2 bites.

Anything I should be concerned about? Not sure he's ever eaten a wild animal. He's caught a bird and a rabbit before, but never ate them.

I am assuming he's going to barf it up in a few hours LOL my wife is thrilled.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:27 pm So my 40ish pound English setter just ate a baby bunny (probably less than a day old) in about 2 bites.

Anything I should be concerned about? Not sure he's ever eaten a wild animal. He's caught a bird and a rabbit before, but never ate them.

Welp. There goes the Watership Down remake.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:27 pm So my 40ish pound English setter just ate a baby bunny (probably less than a day old) in about 2 bites.

hes a dog, he'll be just fine.

I can't believe you didn't have him on a leash and tied to a tree with a muzzle on and a shock collar and a anti bark halo and a security cage around him tho....

what were you thinking?
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:46 pm

hes a dog, he'll be just fine.

I can't believe you didn't have him on a leash and tied to a tree with a muzzle on and a shock collar and a anti bark halo and a security cage around him tho....

what were you thinking?
LOL
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Every single day I wish I had a dog.
Every single day I wish I had a dog, I think about and weigh the valid reasons to have a dog vs. the valid reason to not have a dog. It's tough. The scale is well balanced but I feel the scale should lean heavily in the positive reasons vs. the negative reasons - and it doesn't.
One thing I am giving myself credit for in regards to my not having a dog right now is that I am considering the dog's well being and putting it ahead of me and my own well being. Well, at least I think I should be giving myself credit for it. Maybe not?
shindig

Post by shindig »

I had to take my almost 12 year old boxer, Magnum, to the emergency vet last Friday. Felt a large lump on his neck. Right now he is on anti-biotics and the lump is almost gone, so I'm "hoping" it is just a bacterial infection instead of lymphoma. Some of you might recall my previous boxer, Bandit, passed due to lymphoma cancer. I spent a year putting him through chemo, probably wouldn't do that with Magnum due to his age but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. And yes, I was balling my eyes out at the vet when they said it could be lymphoma. So prayers for Magnum all, he's my buddy and best friend and it's going to really mess me up when it comes to him not being with me.