NBA Offseason

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 am I agree his shooting could become an issue, but they really had no choice other than to sign him to a max deal... he's too good to trade or let walk. 1 of the best young players in the league. There's a lot of max guys who are worse/less appealing and have less potential than Simmons. Plus he an embiid get along well and fit together relatively well. Embiid hits 3s and Simmons is a load inside when guarded by smaller players. I like how they mesh, but we will see how it plays out over the next few years.
There is no good reason not to sign Simmons to a max. As such, I don't think anyone is doing that here.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am Not a doubt in my mind that he'll adapt if needed. Giannis numbers with (at-most) half the attempts and it's a non-issue, if it's already not.

Jason Kidd got exponentially better when needed. Hell, the better example might be Marc Gasol.
How about Brook Lopez? First 8 seasons, he was 3-31. His last 3 seasons, 433-1224.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 am
Paul1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:30 am
Even good shooters miss shots.
Shit, this past season Harden missed 16 of 17 3 pointers in a game.
In 2018 the Rockets missed 27 consecutive 3 point shots.
Steph Curry has had games where he went 0-10 from 3 point range.
Now, you just have to understand the difference between a one game sample size and 2 full season sample size.

Weird to say for a guy who has yet to make one, but he should have taken WAAAAYYYY more than 17. He just has it built into his brain that he can't shoot them. How many times has he been left unguarded? Could literally stand there for all 24 seconds and no one come close to him. If he even shoots just 1 or 2 a game, there's no reason the worst NBA shooter couldn't shoot 20% shooting open "shoot around" 3s. I'm not saying dribble in pull-ups off zero passes, but you can't have teams challenge you that you're not a bitch and you respond by proving to them that you really are a bitch.
I agree ND.
My thought is I don't understand how you can pay a guy a max contract when he hasn't shown he can shoot the ball. Or at least can shoot the ball well.
The flip side of that is despite his not showing he can shoot the ball well, he has shown he's capable of putting up 31 points in a playoff game and I think he had at least 25 games last season where he put up 20 or more points.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 am
Paul1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:30 am
Even good shooters miss shots.
Shit, this past season Harden missed 16 of 17 3 pointers in a game.
In 2018 the Rockets missed 27 consecutive 3 point shots.
Steph Curry has had games where he went 0-10 from 3 point range.
Now, you just have to understand the difference between a one game sample size and 2 full season sample size.

Weird to say for a guy who has yet to make one, but he should have taken WAAAAYYYY more than 17. He just has it built into his brain that he can't shoot them. How many times has he been left unguarded? Could literally stand there for all 24 seconds and no one come close to him. If he even shoots just 1 or 2 a game, there's no reason the worst NBA shooter couldn't shoot 20% shooting open "shoot around" 3s. I'm not saying dribble in pull-ups off zero passes, but you can't have teams challenge you that you're not a bitch and you respond by proving to them that you really are a bitch.
I agree - the fact that he's taken just 17 is damning.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Even Marcus fucking Garrett is 24-94 from deep, good for a whopping .255 after two seasons.

Sure, it’s a shorter line, but also a shorter season.

Yet one is a bad shooter in college, and the other is an nba all star on a max deal.
Deleted User 276

Post by Deleted User 276 »

I wish Marcus shot as little as Ben does. We'd be better off if he just didn't shoot at all. Layups/dunks and defense.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

We’d be better off if Garrett locked his ass in the gym all summer and comes out shooting at a serviceable clip, just like the 6ers would be better off if Ben did it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:46 pm We’d be better off if Garrett locked his ass in the gym all summer and comes out shooting at a serviceable clip, just like the 6ers would be better off if Ben did it.
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 pmYet one is a bad shooter in college, and the other is an nba all star on a max deal.

You're essentially pointing out the distinctions to yourself which answers a couple of different questions that follow therefrom.
Deleted User 276

Post by Deleted User 276 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:46 pm We’d be better off if Garrett locked his ass in the gym all summer and comes out shooting at a serviceable clip, just like the 6ers would be better off if Ben did it.
All reports are that he's doing just that. I expect he will slowly improve as the years go on.

I'm not sure if you watch Simmons frequently, but it's not like his lack of shooting messes up their offensive flow constantly. He spends his time creating for others or scoring inside. Embiid spends a lot of his time on the outside shooting 3s or running a 2man game with JJ (who is now gone) or in iso against bigs who can't guard him. Simmons doesn't stand around passing up 3s. Thankfully they run their offense in a way that doesn't put him in those situations very often. Defenders can sag a little bit, but he's such a good ball handler and creator that he's still got to be guarded.

Can they win a title with their 2nd best player being unable to shoot outside of the paint? I don't know, maybe not....but they were 1 prayer of a shot at the buzzer in game 7 away from being in the finals this year...and if they'd have gone against the Warriors and the same injuries occurred then Simmons and Embiid would probably already have a title. The 76ers had plenty of chances to win that series against Toronto. Things just didn't quite go their way.
Deleted User 266

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:06 pm
All reports are that he's doing just that. I expect he will slowly improve as the years go on.

I'm not sure if you watch Simmons frequently, but it's not like his lack of shooting messes up their offensive flow constantly. He spends his time creating for others or scoring inside. Embiid spends a lot of his time on the outside shooting 3s or running a 2man game with JJ (who is now gone) or in iso against bigs who can't guard him. Simmons doesn't stand around passing up 3s. Thankfully they run their offense in a way that doesn't put him in those situations very often. Defenders can sag a little bit, but he's such a good ball handler and creator that he's still got to be guarded.

Can they win a title with their 2nd best player being unable to shoot outside of the paint? I don't know, maybe not....but they were 1 prayer of a shot at the buzzer in game 7 away from being in the finals this year...and if they'd have gone against the Warriors and the same injuries occurred then Simmons and Embiid would probably already have a title. The 76ers had plenty of chances to win that series against Toronto. Things just didn't quite go their way.
I'm a Sixers fan. My biggest concern going forward isn't if Simmons can make 3 point shots. My concerns are that Embiid has proven he can't be relied on for an entire season and both Redick and Butler are gone. A 6ers team with Embiid on the bench very well might not even be a playoff team.
Meanwhile, despite my legitimate concerns, the Sixers are still one of the top 2 teams favored to win the East.
It's a crazy NBA world we are living in these days.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ding-usage
Poor wittle Longhorns.

The Big 12 has a message for those thinking of making the "Horns Down" sign this season: Do it quickly and don't direct it toward opposing players.

Greg Burks, the Big 12 coordinator of football officials, said if a player quickly flashes the "Horns Down" after scoring a touchdown, he likely would not be called for a penalty. Prolonged displays of the signal, used for decades to mock the Texas Longhorns' "Hook 'Em Horns" sign, will be penalized, especially if directed toward an opposing player or at the opponent's bench.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ding-usage
Poor wittle Longhorns.

The Big 12 has a message for those thinking of making the "Horns Down" sign this season: Do it quickly and don't direct it toward opposing players.

Greg Burks, the Big 12 coordinator of football officials, said if a player quickly flashes the "Horns Down" after scoring a touchdown, he likely would not be called for a penalty. Prolonged displays of the signal, used for decades to mock the Texas Longhorns' "Hook 'Em Horns" sign, will be penalized, especially if directed toward an opposing player or at the opponent's bench.
God, why does it matter?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:06 pm
I hope Simmons it's not doing that with the same people who were working with Markelle Fultz. Dude came back looking like a guy who was born without arms and was just learning how to use the prosthetics.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:23 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ding-usage
Poor wittle Longhorns.

God, why does it matter?
Totally wrong thread.
I had two tabs open and posted in the wrong one.
I could edit/delete/repost in the college football thread but here you are.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:58 pm
Poor wittle Longhorns.

God, why does it matter?
Totally wrong thread.
On topic, off topic, I don't care. What I mean is, why does anyone in the world care about Horns Down?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Poor wittle Longhorns.

God, why does it matter?
^^^^

PC babies, I guess.

also, RIP HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF
Deleted User 266

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:38 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:58 pm

God, why does it matter?
Totally wrong thread.
On topic, off topic, I don't care. What I mean is, why does anyone in the world care about Horns Down?
MY simple answer is..... Because we live in a f*cked up country where people actually give a sh*t about this but don't take a second to think about starving/neglected/abandoned children and/or other things that truly are worthy of giving a sh*t about.
Seems I need Donald Trump to give me a get the f*ck out of the country and go back to where I came from if I don't like it.
Deleted User 266

I think differently than most people. A LOT differently.
Watched this (see video below) and had a thought. Dead serious question. If there wasn't an age requirement in the NBA when you do you think Bronny would/will be playing with LeBron?
I am saying when he is 16 or 17. Not that he would be worthy of it but we all know LeBron has a ton of pull.

Another crazy thought. Bronny is 14 years old. SEEMS as if he MAY be hooking up with women of "legal" age. If so, are those women worthy of being arrested for having sex with a minor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz1Ke-G8wfM
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Does Bron firing the director of Space Jam 2 get credited toward his coach firings?