Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:39 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:36 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:21 am

There is no mechanism that allows Trump to do that. I get everyone is freaked out by the Supreme Court's recent ruling but it doesn't mean that the President can literally do anything. The ruling makes a President much more powerful but it doesn't turn him into a damn wizard. Let's not lose our minds.
I think this is a pretty naive view.

Can't we fairly easily list out a dozen major things you can't do, that Trump did, and got away with?

And that was BEFORE he had a pliant Court, and BEFORE he had the right (least principled) people around him.
Your preference may be to worry about every little thing. Mine is not. Maybe I am just talking myself into it, hoping it's true. I don't know. My mental health cannot sit here and wrong my hands over every doomsday scenario, I just can't.
I guess I don't see this as a "worry about every little thing." I think everyone MUST assume that Trump in fact will get away with whatever he wants if he is elected again.

Impeachment is a pipe dream - a majority of the House and 2/3 of Senators? Ok.

And there is now less than zero fear of criminal consequences post-presidency. For legal (this week's Court ruling) AND practical (he just won't leave, and the Court will support him) AND actuarial (he now knows the judges will kick this shit to WAY beyond his expiration date) reasons.

I think it's VITAL that people who matter - the MICHs of the world - cast their vote on the assumption that there will be absolutely no constraints on Trump.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:48 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:36 am

I think this is a pretty naive view.

Can't we fairly easily list out a dozen major things you can't do, that Trump did, and got away with?

And that was BEFORE he had a pliant Court, and BEFORE he had the right (least principled) people around him.
Your preference may be to worry about every little thing. Mine is not. Maybe I am just talking myself into it, hoping it's true. I don't know. My mental health cannot sit here and wrong my hands over every doomsday scenario, I just can't.
I guess I don't see this as a "worry about every little thing." I think everyone MUST assume that Trump in fact will get away with whatever he wants if he is elected again.

And there is now less than zero fear of criminal consequences post-presidency. For legal (this week's Court ruling) AND practical (he just won't leave, and the Court will support him) AND actuarial (he now knows the judges will kick this shit to WAY beyond his expiration date) reasons.

I think it's VITAL that people who matter - the MICHs of the world - cast their vote on the assumption that there will be absolutely no constraints on Trump.
Trump can say "you're fired" to the 3 liberal justices all he wants. His opinion of their performance is just that, an opinion. A Supreme Court justice can only be removed by impeachment. There are enough real fears out there; l I don't need to create imaginary fears for me to be scared of another Trump administration.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:53 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:48 am

Trump can say "you're fired" to the 3 liberal justices all he wants. His opinion of their performance is just that, an opinion. A Supreme Court justice can only be removed by impeachment. There are enough real fears out there; l I don't need to create imaginary fears for me to be scared of another Trump administration.
All I'm saying is that when we have a Supreme Court that has, when presented with Trump cases, zero concern for the text, intent, or history of our laws, then I have zero expectations that the Supreme Court will in any circumstance apply the laws to what Trump wants to do.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The Supreme Court actually doesn’t need to get its hands dirty. The insidious part, besides handing all the power to the Executive, is that they basically sanctioned endless delays. They punted back to the lower courts to rule on the merits. Then when the lower courts rule they will take up the appeal, delay the ruling until the last day and then punt parts of the case back down. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

If all of this doesn’t lead to Civil War 2.0 I don’t know what will.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:10 am The Supreme Court actually doesn’t need to get its hands dirty. The insidious part, besides handing all the power to the Executive, is that they basically sanctioned endless delays. They punted back to the lower courts to rule on the merits. Then when the lower courts rule they will take up the appeal, delay the ruling until the last day and then punt parts of the case back down. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

If all of this doesn’t lead to Civil War 2.0 I don’t know what will.
I mean, you're touching on two things that aren't getting enough attention.

1 - Before there is even an opportunity to test the Court's interpretation of the extent of Trump's immunity for "official" acts, the defendant's term as President must end. Of course that doesn't stop the Court from reviewing the propriety of executive actions and legislation (from a non-criminal standpoint). But lol if anyone thinks this Court will check Trump in any meaningful way.

2 - The more acute threat the Court implied was against Biden, not Trump. He is MUCH closer to the target zone for prosecution (see #1 above), and the Court effectively said "use these new powers at your own risk, Joe."
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

We are 8 full years into “Trump can’t do that…..we have checks and balances in place”.

Not fucking one of them has stopped him.

And no one will be able to stop the GOP from changing the structure of our Government
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

WashPo:

President Biden and his senior team said they accepted Wednesday the grim ultimatum they have been hearing from almost all quarters of the Democratic Party this week: quickly demonstrate his fitness for office or face a significant effort to force him to step aside.

A business executive who helped arrange a fundraiser for the Chicago convention in the last year said the Biden team refused to let even major donors ask questions in a small group. That was shocking, this person said.

“I told them my donors don’t care about a photo. They want to talk to him. The Biden people just wouldn’t let them,” the person said. “It was clear they were managing him in a way I’ve never experienced before. Donors expect to get to talk to the president if you’re writing a big check and having an event with him.”…

yikes
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:23 pm WashPo:

President Biden and his senior team said they accepted Wednesday the grim ultimatum they have been hearing from almost all quarters of the Democratic Party this week: quickly demonstrate his fitness for office or face a significant effort to force him to step aside.

A business executive who helped arrange a fundraiser for the Chicago convention in the last year said the Biden team refused to let even major donors ask questions in a small group. That was shocking, this person said.

“I told them my donors don’t care about a photo. They want to talk to him. The Biden people just wouldn’t let them,” the person said. “It was clear they were managing him in a way I’ve never experienced before. Donors expect to get to talk to the president if you’re writing a big check and having an event with him.”…

yikes
Yikes?

Who is this "business executive"? I know who it is not.
Maybe the Biden team has refused to let major donors ask questions "in a small group" but I can 100% assure you that major donors have spoken with the Biden team.

P.S.
https://twitter.com/iamwesmoore/status/ ... 7698263075

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/ ... 0386285717
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

I have 3 questions.
1. How/why do you have jet lag 13 days later?
2. I'm not buying the cold excuse. She even said - "it's not something we shared ahead of time". Why not? Hurt them by not doing as such - if it was true. Meanwhile, he was out and about after the debate shaking hands with people in a restaurant.
3. What does having a cold have to do with you going brain dead? Especially a cold that didn't affect your ability to go a restaurant and shake hands and talk with people after the debate.

https://twitter.com/CortesSteve/status/ ... 0303312350
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:54 pm I have 3 questions.
1. How/why do you have jet lag 13 days later?
2. I'm not buying the cold excuse. She even said - "it's not something we shared ahead of time". Why not? Hurt them by not doing as such - if it was true. Meanwhile, he was out and about after the debate shaking hands with people in a restaurant.
3. What does having a cold have to do with you going brain dead? Especially a cold that didn't affect your ability to go a restaurant and shake hands and talk with people after the debate.

https://twitter.com/CortesSteve/status/ ... 0303312350
I'm not a smart guy. I'm smart enough to know either she is terrible at her job or those prepping her are terrible at his/her/their job/s. Or, they are all full of shit. I'm guessing it is all 3.

"My bad". "His schedule did have something to do with that".

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status ... 2051400100
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There are so many parallels between this and Hillary’s 2016 health scare (now forgotten to history with the emailzzz).

And it’s not lost on me that the same forces are largely still in play (if not even stronger) now.

Makes it all very hard to sort.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Today's edition of you have got to be kidding me, wtf is going on that the Governors were ok with this, heck, I am not at all ok with this, the man has no chance of being re-elected.....

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/04/politics ... index.html
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Came thru Wichita to a cascade of expensive fireworks yesterday. Damn Biden. Never saw so much frivolous spending. Americans are doing pretty well. Then throw it all away.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:52 pm Today's edition of you have got to be kidding me, wtf is going on that the Governors were ok with this, heck, I am not at all ok with this, the man has no chance of being re-elected.....

Gutter, you would do well to get more sleep yourself
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Sparko wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:26 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:52 pm Today's edition of you have got to be kidding me, wtf is going on that the Governors were ok with this, heck, I am not at all ok with this, the man has no chance of being re-elected.....

Gutter, you would do well to get more sleep yourself
Yes, yes I would. My guess is many if not most people would.
In the meantime, last night at 11:19pm, I was dealing with a minor problem that occurred in our Tokyo office. Shit happens, and I am the furthest thing from being the President of the United States.
Unlike our President, in the future, I am planning on attending events past 8:00pm because I am confident I can stay awake and coherent.
Hey, I'm just glad our President, 3.5 years in to his term, is telling people he's too tired (or gets too tired) to schedule events after 8:00pm, but wants to serve another 4 years and won't be too tired for that.
So let's review the debate excuses. He had a cold (that no one was told about until after they needed to use an excuse - and he was well enough to go out to a restaurant and shake people's hands for a "photo op" right after the debate, and then travel the next day to give a speech), he had jet lag (12+ days after returning from a trip?), and he was too tired to stay awake or at least too tired come off as being coherent at an "event" that was pretty darn important to the future of his Presidency - and our country.

If this is true (Biden also made a joke to the governors that didn’t go over well: “I’m fine — I don’t know about my brain, though.” Jen O’Malley Dillon, Biden’s campaign chairwoman, said the president was “clearly making a joke and then said, ‘All kidding aside"), like the Governors, I don't think the man has a future in comedy. Let alone, much of a future in politics.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Joe is doing an interview with George Stephaooop-somerhing that will air tonight.

Looks like it will be taped and not live. If that is the case, what's the point. If he looks good, it will be credited to editing and if doesn't he's toast, burnt toast.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

no amount of editing could’ve “fixed” his debate

i think we’ll still get a pretty good idea for where he’s at
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:25 am Joe is doing an interview with George Stephaooop-somerhing that will air tonight.

Looks like it will be taped and not live. If that is the case, what's the point. If he looks good, it will be credited to editing and if doesn't he's toast, burnt toast.
If I understand correctly, they’re now airing it unedited.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:12 am
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:25 am Joe is doing an interview with George Stephaooop-somerhing that will air tonight.

That may be the case, but you know as well as I do that it just gives the assholes an easy argument.
Broham
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:15 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:12 am

That may be the case, but you know as well as I do that it just gives the assholes an easy argument.
Taped, not taped, edited, not edited, I wouldn't be surprised if he (and/or his "team") was/were made aware of the questions (or at least the subjects) ahead of time.
Sad that people are waiting to see if he can answer questions to determine if he is capable of serving as President. If that's all it takes to be judged fit for office, I saw a severely mentally incapacitated (appeared to be either extremely schizophrenic or whacked out on drugs) man by Northwestern Hospital today and when someone asked him if he wanted a donut he said - yes. HEY! He understood the question and gave a decent answer! Good job guy! Because of that, he gets my vote for President!

P.S. There was a Washington Post article yesterday in regards to Joe and his use of a teleprompter.
It mentions a speech he gave in Chicago. One that I have heard and read multiple times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -election/

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... cago-il-3/