Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by pdub »

This is similar to saying, "JFish is sad that Russian soldiers are dying, whether he wants to admit it, or not" after you said something along the lines of "I'm sad that there wasn't a better way we could have resolved this conflict."

Russian soldiers are dying.
Are you sad at a greater higher level that people themselves are dying, certainly.
But you weren't communicating that you are sad about Russian soldiers dying.

But the heart of what you're sad about is the war/conflict/state of what is happening - at least that's what you're trying to communicate - until someone just warps what you said into what, they, specifically, feel.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:22 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:15 am If coaches can move freely and make money, then players should be able to as well.
I agree with this, but I am ok with de-incentivizing it, and probably think that should be done it anyway. (that goes for coaches too).

I proposed this for freshmen and no one liked it, but allow a player to transfer and become immediately eligible, but don't allow them to sign any new NIL deals until they've completed a season at the school they transfer to.
Technically the NIL isn't allowed to be conditional upon commitment to a school. So I would prefer they enforce their new rules. Instead of just making new rules and ignoring them (like they did the majority of the time with the old rules).

If NIL happens after the fact, so be it...but if negotiations start prior to commitment and then are finalized after committing then that should be (and is, i think) a violation.

These are large sums of money with documents signed and notarized that are legally binding, and all of it has paper trails.

Enforce the rules consistently. Whatever they decide those rules are.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Or, if we want to stick with the environment analogy, it'd be like saying, after drilling restrictions were completely abandoned, and I said, "i'm sad about that," JFish saying, "you're sad about all the jobs it's going to create."

No. I'm not.
A complete loss of context and assumption.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:00 pm Or, if we want to stick with the environment analogy, it'd be like saying, after drilling restrictions were completely abandoned, and I said, "i'm sad about that," JFish saying, "you're sad about all the jobs it's going to create."

No. I'm not.
A complete loss of context and assumption.
What you're saying is 180 degrees from reality, though.

The specific thing you are sad about - and it very much is the players getting money - is something that corrects a very real moral and ethical problem, not something that exacerbates one. The existence of a robust NIL market is proof positive that the players were not compensated (above the table anyway) in an amount or manner representative of their true worth.

You do not like the players getting money. It makes you sad. You have not shied away from this: the players getting money has a directly negative impact on your interest in the sport.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The creation of jobs corrects a moral and ethical problem.
But in that analogy, I am not sad about that.

I am not against players getting money either.
I am against them getting money in college. Especially when that money is the main reason they decide to go to said college.
This is a key point.

NBA, G League, Euro League, whatever league. Go get paid.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Money is the main reason Bill Self coaches at Kansas.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:07 pm The creation of jobs corrects a moral and ethical problem.

I am against them getting money in college.
This is a key point.

Like I said, your personal interest in the sport goes DOWN when the players get paid directly. And that's just weird! Because the obvious inference is that something you LIKED about the sport is that the players were artificially held down.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Money is the main reason Bill Self coaches at Kansas."

Because that is his job.
Is college your job?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:19 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:07 pm The creation of jobs corrects a moral and ethical problem.

This is a key point.

Like I said, your personal interest in the sport goes DOWN when the players get paid directly. And that's just weird! Because the obvious inference is that something you LIKED about the sport is that the players were artificially held down.
PDub doesn't like honey on his pizza.
That's just weird!
Because the obvious inference is that something you LIKED about pizza is that honey manufacturers weren't able to get into the pizza game.

Or, no oil drilling?
PDub doesn't like people getting jobs.
That's just weird!
The obvious inference is that something you LIKED about the earth is that people were struggling to find work and income.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

does anyone know if the ncaa allowed/allows grad student stipends fur athletes?

i’m assuming not, but can’t recall any specific discussions about it
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

"It was a good NIL season anyway."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:23 pm does anyone know if the ncaa allowed/allows grad student stipends fur athletes?

i’m assuming not, but can’t recall any specific discussions about it
Those dollars are provided by the program, right? I would just assume that our grad players (Dave this season) were in programs where stipends were not even available.

Plus, I am guessing there is some ineligibility for the stipend given that the Williams Fund scholarship would cover the cost of the classes/program.

From a practical standpoint, knowing firsthand how small those stipends are, I am guessing that the tuition scholarship plus cost of living money is either not much less money or even more money than grad school stipends.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:20 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:19 pm

This is a key point.

PDub doesn't like honey on his pizza.
That's just weird!
You don't like the players getting money directly. You liked it better when the system held them down, I got it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You don't like people getting jobs making honey for pizza or drilling oil. You liked it better when they had to collect unemployment, I got it.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The way I see it, the NCAA needs a cut, see, of the NIL. A big cut. They made all this dough "reasonable," see? They are just waiting to figure out how to get some of this sweet sweet revenue back for Bizness expenses.

If you don't like it, I suggest your boyz play overseas.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also, it's a bit funny to me that a dude who has the job that he does and making the salary that goes with it while driving 60k luxury SUV's and making comments something like, "eh the Centurian club was just fine", is trying to lecture me on the 'morals and ethics' of the value of money.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:30 pm You don't like people getting jobs making honey for pizza or drilling oil. You liked it better when they had to collect unemployment, I got it.
Now I'm thoroughly confused. Isn't this (still stupid) analogy...more in line with your views on this issue?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

for me collegiate athletics died awhile back. at least at the d-1 high major level it did.

now it is semiprocollegiateathletics like. it is like collegiate athletics in that there are names of colleges on the front of the jersey. at least at the d-1 high major level.

past that it doesn't really resemble, at least at the d-1 high major level.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No.
I'm just emphasizing how off base your comment is with an equally off base comment.

i.e. i liked pizza without honey on it. Now honey is on it. I'm sad that there's honey on the pizza. I'm not sad because someone who makes honey is now in the pizza game.

Or.
I liked this area of the US and would prefer it not to be drilled on. Now it's being drilled. I'm sad that it is being drilled. I'm not sad because now x amount of people who needed oil drilling jobs have them.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeAndre Ayton supposedly got 100k to go to Arizona..

Nijel fing Pack is getting 400k per year to go to Miami

exactly the same, this is all normal. Youre crazy to think this changes the sport at all...its always happened...see?!
Just Ledoux it