Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: B12 2024

Post by KUTradition »

ok?

:lol:

i’m glad you’ve been pleased with his play…you do you
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:58 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:28 pm i don’t see how going from a starting role to spot minutes off the bench wouldn’t be a disappointment
Raw talented freshman gets switched for another raw talented freshman with a skillset that better compliments the other starters
Um...I like Elmarko...

But Furphy has been Miles ahead of him in nearly every facet of the game. He isn't starting because he better compliments the other starters....thats just not the full story. If Elmarko was producing, he'd be starting. It'd be great to have someone handle the ball and take pressure off DH.

When Kevin was out who started? Nick damn Timberlake.

That's a fall from starting to letting NT pass you.
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TDub wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:21 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:58 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:28 pm i don’t see how going from a starting role to spot minutes off the bench wouldn’t be a disappointment
Raw talented freshman gets switched for another raw talented freshman with a skillset that better compliments the other starters
Um...I like Elmarko...

But Furphy has been Miles ahead of him in nearly every facet of the game. He isn't starting because he better compliments the other starters....thats just not the full story. If Elmarko was producing, he'd be starting. It'd be great to have someone handle the ball and take pressure off DH.

When Kevin was out who started? Nick damn Timberlake.

That's a fall from starting to letting NT pass you.
Another shooter in timberlake. Furphy is a shooter. Our core of dajuan, mccullar, KJ, and hunter desperately needs some shooting/spacing
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Timberlake has also played in college twice as long as elmarko has played basketball
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

you really dig in and refuse to admit you're wrong, yea?
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Is Udeh hurt?

He doesn't exist in the box scores for TCU the last few games.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

UCF hanging tough against houston (so far)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:41 am Is Udeh hurt?

He doesn't exist in the box scores for TCU the last few games.
Yes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:27 pm But I'm not sure why anyone would expect a fringe 5 star guy ranked in the 20s to be a sure fire instant impact freshman. Only a fool
I don't think expectations for Jackson (#20 RSCI) were that he would perform at the level of guards/wings like Rush (#23) or Dotson (#20) or Dick (#16).

But I think we were reasonable to be hopeful that we'd get more out of him than we have.

With meaningful opportunity (almost 20mpg), he's given us 41% shooting from the floor (Marcus Garrett didn't have ONE season that low) and a 1.3 A/TO ratio (Elijah Johnson didn't have ONE season that low).

He has been bad.

That is, in the big picture, not the biggest deal in the world. But it is killing us this season, where (for reasons that are not his fault) we really needed him to give us something more than he has.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Still on about this? Recruting rankings are pointless. That's where you need to learn your lesson fish. But for what it's worth, rush and grady were both ranked near top 10 on some recruiting sites, and elmarko like 28th

But then again Josh Selby, cheick diallo, and cliff Alexander were all top 5 recruits.

Quentin Grimes, MJ rice, and David McCormack were all recent 5 star burger boys that were not good as freshman too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Recruting rankings are pointless"

A lot of rankings, numbers, stats, measurables, records and figures are pointless to you.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I wonder what the results would look like if you looked at all the mcdonalds AAs during the Self era to see how Kansas recruits have faired as compared to the guys other schools have gotten. I'd love to know the rankings of the % of success/failure rate for each coach/school.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also:
Josh Selby - 7.9 PPG, 2.2 APG.
Cliff Alexander - 7.1 PPG, 5.1 RPG.

Even Diallo, who was the biggest choke job under Bill Self in terms of not using a guy, had slightly better stats than Elmarko in well under half the minutes per game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 pm I wonder what the results would look like if you looked at all the mcdonalds AAs during the Self era to see how Kansas recruits have faired as compared to the guys other schools have gotten. I'd love to know the rankings of the % of success/failure rate for each coach/school.
I'd say subpar ( comparatively based on statistics in college ) because Self doesn't tolerate defensive whoopsies ( and so you'll get fewer minutes ).
It's a reason why his defenses are consistently the best in college basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:45 pm Still on about this? Recruting rankings are pointless. That's where you need to learn your lesson fish. But for what it's worth, rush and grady were both ranked near top 10 on some recruiting sites, and elmarko like 28th

But then again Josh Selby, cheick diallo, and cliff Alexander were all top 5 recruits.

Quentin Grimes, MJ rice, and David McCormack were all recent 5 star burger boys that were not good as freshman too.
I'm not sure you understand what composite rankings are.

And in any case, the issue remains his performance on the floor. And he has been very bad!

He lost his starting spot (on a paper-thin team), and after averaging 23.4 mpg in November/December, he has (on a paper-thin team) averaged 15.1 mpg in January - now.

We are desperate for help, and he his playing time has gone the other way.

You want to argue he should be getting more run?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Composite rankings don't mean they are the most accurate. It's an average of the good the bad and the ugly

He lost his spot to a guy with a ton of talent who could go 1st round this year. It's not like furphy is a scrub. And furphys game didn't really take off until after being inserted into the starting lineup. Self did it to shake things up, and get more shooting on the floor. A 6'9 shooter with a completely different skillset was a better fit than elmarko
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And no, elmarko shouldn't be getting more run. He's perfect where he's at, at about 20 minutes a game, which is more than most KU guards play as freshman.

Elmarko has a very similar season to what Josh selby did here, and selby was top 5 and even #1 overall on rivals

Elmarko plays behind 2 5th year players. Mccullar is a potential all American, and dajuan is widely considered the best true point guard in the country. Why would elmarko get more time and cut into their minutes? He also shares the backcourt reserve role with a 6th year college player

Elmarko played lacrosse most his life, and started playing basketball 3 years ago, we are just glimpsing his potential. But he is doing just fine.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:17 pm Composite rankings don't mean they are the most accurate. It's an average of the good the bad and the ugly

He lost his spot to a guy with a ton of talent who could go 1st round this year. It's not like furphy is a scrub. And furphys game didn't really take off until after being inserted into the starting lineup. Self did it to shake things up, and get more shooting on the floor. A 6'9 shooter with a completely different skillset was a better fit than elmarko
Of course this is not really telling anything close to the full story.

On a desperately-thin team, Jackson's minutes are going down as the season progresses. That's WITH McCullar getting hurt. And he has really not done anything on the floor that suggests that this is wrong on Bill's part. He has had all kinds of opportunity.

He stinks!

He will be good some day, hopefully here. But he stinks now, and we need him - badly need him - now.

It would be excellent if he would stop stinking in time for postseason play, but there is very little that suggests that will happen.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The idea that this team is "paper thin" or "desperate for help" is wild to me. This is a good team with good players. The peices just don't necessarily fit together perfectly. Outside of mccullar, every player has at least one glaring weakness that limits their effectiveness. And we play in a good league with good coaches and players, who have found ways to beat us

But before we got to big 12 play, we were top 3 virtually all season and beat a couple #1 seeds
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:31 pm The idea that this team is "paper thin" or "desperate for help" is wild to me. This is a good team with good players. The peices just don't necessarily fit together perfectly. Outside of mccullar, every player has at least one glaring weakness that limits their effectiveness. And we play in a good league with good coaches and players, who have found ways to beat us

But before we got to big 12 play, we were top 3 virtually all season and beat a couple #1 seeds
And then we have nosedived, as players have worn down and got hurt.

But please, tell us more about how "the idea that this team is 'paper thin' or 'desperate for help' is wild" to you.