The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:45 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 am i’d wager that bears are better swimmers than elk
Yeah, I imagine four massive paws make for better paddling than goofy little hooves
i’m gonna tell the next bull elk i meet that you said that about him
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That elk was busted before it got in the water.
Deleted User 89

https://www.newsweek.com/video-shows-mo ... od-1533625

i love how a local student newspaper is cited multiple times. maybe it’s just me, but seems akin to citing wikipedia...lazy journalism
Deleted User 89

Deleted User 89

“Every animal that walks the earth, or swims, or flies is precious beyond description, something so rare and wonderful that it equals the stars or the ocean or the mind of man.”
Deleted User 89

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh! So I hardly camped at all this year, mostly cuz of fire bans.

Again cuz of bans, no one else wanted to go, so I camped solo to get one last trip the other night.

As soon as dark hit, I noticed a mouse running around in the bed of my truck. I tried to freak him out, but he kept running around my truck just having a blast. I was worried he might chew a wire or something, but also didn’t wanna spend all night chasing around a mouse.

I get in the tent and slowly nod off, when I hear a loud commotion, like some bigger critter knocking over my 5 gallon water jug in the bed of the truck. I peek out the tent but see nothing. I hear it again, look again, nothing.

I yell and holler and try to scare off what it might be. Eventually I fall asleep. I’m awakened a couple more times by similar commotions. I guess it’s raccoons cuz I’ve encountered them here before, maybe a bear, or even a fox chasing that dang mouse. The whole campsite floor is fine dirt that leaves good boot prints, so I figure there will be some tracks to confirm in the morning.

Nothing.

Wtf? In a way, it was almost even more unnerving than actually confirming some big critter.
Deleted User 89

shoulda made a paiute deadfall lol
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Chupacabra
Broham
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Owl/Hawk maybe?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, maybe some kinda bird.

Lots of ornery magpies in my parts.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

And Chupacabras.
Broham
Deleted User 89

Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Watched that on FB. Dude did a good job it seemed like. They say if you turn and run you are done for. I wonder if throwing 1 of those big ass rocks at it would have scared it off? Might have just pissed it off more to be honest.
Deleted User 89

i would have thrown rocks
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:53 am i would have thrown rocks
It took him 6 minutes to figure that out. LOL
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I have a friend in Estes Park. Needless to say, she's worried.
Anyone else on here affected/effected?

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Looks like the Cameron peak fire, just north of me. Just became the largest in state history. I can see the plume of smoke from my house. The wind has been from the west though so it pushes the smoke East toward the Poudre Valley and Estes and foco, rather than south into the Fraser Valley.

I have that to the north, the Williams fork fire to the west, and now the troublesome fire that popped up yesterday between the two NW of me by hot sulphur springs.

In the area it broke out, that fire sounds likely caused by a hunting camp.

It’s been unseasonably week and dry and windy here, which doesn’t help, but neither does entitled ass tourists, or sheriffs that apparently don’t write citations.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Yep, it's the Cameron Peak fire. So far she's NOT been told to evacuate.
She said there is really no precipitation in the near term forecast and that is a big concern.

I hope you are able to stay as safe as possible!
Fires in the mountains freak me out because I'm already somewhat claustrophobic and not feeling as if there is a way to get out makes me very nervous.
I was in Aspen a couple of Fourth of Julys ago when there was just the "small" fire and it caused a complete cluster fuck of logistics - for me and more so for others.
Deleted User 89

not sure the details elsewhere here in the west, but this year 75% of Utah fires were human-caused