Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:34 pm NK supposedly sending troops to fight Ukraine within a month.
They musta finally heard about GWB.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:55 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:34 pm NK supposedly sending troops to fight Ukraine within a month.
They musta finally heard about GWB.
just clearing a little nazi problem and defending themselves against the tyrannical United States who is, very clearly, responsible for the conflict.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:15 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:10 am I think most of us are willing to acknowledge that throughout our history the US has made mistakes. Lied. Pushed propaganda. Etc.

Do we have to do that each time something happens? Because it seems silly. Russia is the bad guy here. In this instance.

That doesn't mean Ukraine is perfect.

This isn't hard.
Exactly.
I’ve been thinking all day about what or whether to post.

And though I’m tempted to try and respond to every goofy thing, lemme just keep this concise and say…thanks.

This validates a lot for me.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

shoulda thought longer and harder
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

If that happens, this takes a nasty turn
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m guessing France would be first to return the favor
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Send in the FFL
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The nuclear weapons promised to the most dangerous despot on earth for helping them invade Ukraine seem a little badly thought out. Putin being a strategic mastermind and all.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:29 pm
indeed, and quickly.

I'd like off this timeline, maybe the world really did end in 2012 and this is some sort of alternate reality ha
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:48 pm
indeed, and quickly.

I'd like off this timeline, maybe the world really did end in 2012 and this is some sort of alternate reality ha
Maybe I’m being naive, but - what does it matter?

I understand in a manner of speaking it could be seen as a major escalation…but only if the adults in the room treat it as one.

I think - and hope - that we would use it not as an excuse to disarm NK (cue the flying monkeys!) but as a logical reason to expand Ukraine’s ability to weaken Russia behind its own borders. Which serves all of the goals.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Disarming a crazy psychopath is a rational decision before it is too late. But he has generations of weapons. There is a Hobson's choice with NK. Risky no matter what. Disarm or not is probably going to lead to disaster
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:36 am

indeed, and quickly.

I understand in a manner of speaking it could be seen as a major escalation…but only if the adults in the room treat it as one.

I think - and hope - that we would use it not as an excuse to disarm NK (cue the flying monkeys!) but as a logical reason to expand Ukraine’s ability to weaken Russia behind its own borders. Which serves all of the goals.
I think it matters because it represents a fairly significant escalation and brings us one giant leap forward towards a world War type conflict.

1. It would mean a non directly involved country with boots on the ground in a part of the world a continent away.

2. It would mean another player actively helping invade a sovereign nation....I see a big difference between defense assistance and invasion assistance.

3. Will it "break the dam"? If and when they were to engage with troops, that opens the door for EU, US, countries to reciprocate and the potential for that to get out of control quickly exists.

4. North Korea hasn't been in a conflict in 50 years. They are desperate and desperate people do dangerous things.

5. What did Putin promise Kim? My assumption is that it involves some sort of Nuclear knowledge, I would prefer NK not become any more Nuclear capable.

Now, on the flipside, we might have a bunch of NK soldiers thay sre exposed to the outside world for the first time ever and perhaps they can bring reality back to NK and break the Kim spell.

There is also the possibility of a mass exodus of soldiers using th3 opportunity as a way to defect. Neither of those lessen the impact of the previous concerns though
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:07 am Disarming a crazy psychopath is a rational decision before it is too late. But he has generations of weapons. There is a Hobson's choice with NK. Risky no matter what. Disarm or not is probably going to lead to disaster
I agree with you. I just feel that - as obviously deserving at it would be - attacking NK here would be an affirmative choice to expand the envelope of the conflict.

Of fucking course it would really just be a logical response to Russia and NK making that affirmative choice.

But in my view the price of responding with direct force is too high.

Which I know cuts against my bona fides as an agent of the warmongering military industrial complex/Bush-Cheney right.

I contain multitudes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:04 am

indeed, and quickly.

I think it matters because it represents a fairly significant escalation and brings us one giant leap forward towards a world War type conflict.

1. It would mean a non directly involved country with boots on the ground in a part of the world a continent away.

2. It would mean another player actively helping invade a sovereign nation....I see a big difference between defense assistance and invasion assistance.

3. Will it "break the dam"? If and when they were to engage with troops, that opens the door for EU, US, countries to reciprocate and the potential for that to get out of control quickly exists.

4. North Korea hasn't been in a conflict in 50 years. They are desperate and desperate people do dangerous things.

5. What did Putin promise Kim? My assumption is that it involves some sort of Nuclear knowledge, I would prefer NK not become any more Nuclear capable.

Now, on the flipside, we might have a bunch of NK soldiers thay sre exposed to the outside world for the first time ever and perhaps they can bring reality back to NK and break the Kim spell.

There is also the possibility of a mass exodus of soldiers using th3 opportunity as a way to defect. Neither of those lessen the impact of the previous concerns though
I agree with everything you said. I would still lean toward strategic restraint.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There are those who believe a new Korean War is part of Putin's October Surprise gift. I read an article month or so ago gaming this out. Seems pretty out there until you look at TDub's concern #5. He promised unknown things.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:38 am There are those who believe a new Korean War is part of Putin's October Surprise gift. I read an article month or so ago gaming this out. Seems pretty out there until you look at TDub's concern #5. He promised unknown things.
I struggle to see how that would help Trump get elected, though, which is Putin's goal.

I suppose the play could be some ham-fisted, peacenik-exploiting hostagetaking: "If the Americans elect that belligerent warmonger Biden, that imperialist tool of the military industrial complex, then Russia will have no choice but to defend the North Korean people from NATO's aggression by supplying North Korea with offensive weapons."
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

russia can't beat ukraine in a war.

nk. russia. 3rd world $#!tholes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:56 am russia can't beat ukraine in a war.

nk. russia. 3rd world $#!tholes.
And yet, you will not vote for the person who stands between us and shadow-alliances with each of NK and Russia.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:06 am
TDub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:04 am

I agree with everything you said. I would still lean toward strategic restraint.
I agree with that, but I do think it would signal a significant escalation. I also don't know how long Europe (or U.S) would allow continued escalation without a measured but harsh response. Which, of course, could lead any number of places.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this all seems like a europe problem.