Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:18 am this all seems like a europe problem.
Just beautiful. We are discussing the MOST plausible exact scenario that makes it much MORE than a Europe problem.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

those who don’t learn from history…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

why am i not surprised that mich seemingly doesn’t know where NK is?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:18 am this all seems like a europe problem.
To an idiot, probably so
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:25 am those who don’t learn from history…
It feels to me that the peaceniks' agita would best be directed not at those who would seek to proactively contain the war to Ukraine, but at those who would have the United States go all 1939 here.

Who do not seem to recall what happened afterward (it is here I would direct someone's attention not to the distant shores of Pearl Harbor, but for example here: https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/world- ... -carolina/).
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Putin helps NK attack SK.
It takes the US focus to SK, a known ally.

The GOP suddenly cares Sooooo Much about SK.

Putin marches through Ukraine.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:34 am Putin helps NK attack SK.

I am certain that if we so much as winked in the right direction, SK has at every moment - including this very moment - the capability and near-immediate readiness to turn NK into rubble. SK would not need our help.

The greater issue is what China would think/feel/do.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:04 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:36 am
TDub wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:48 pm

indeed, and quickly.

I'd like off this timeline, maybe the world really did end in 2012 and this is some sort of alternate reality ha
Maybe I’m being naive, but - what does it matter?

I understand in a manner of speaking it could be seen as a major escalation…but only if the adults in the room treat it as one.

I think - and hope - that we would use it not as an excuse to disarm NK (cue the flying monkeys!) but as a logical reason to expand Ukraine’s ability to weaken Russia behind its own borders. Which serves all of the goals.
I think it matters because it represents a fairly significant escalation and brings us one giant leap forward towards a world War type conflict.

1. It would mean a non directly involved country with boots on the ground in a part of the world a continent away.

2. It would mean another player actively helping invade a sovereign nation....I see a big difference between defense assistance and invasion assistance.

3. Will it "break the dam"? If and when they were to engage with troops, that opens the door for EU, US, countries to reciprocate and the potential for that to get out of control quickly exists.

4. North Korea hasn't been in a conflict in 50 years. They are desperate and desperate people do dangerous things.

5. What did Putin promise Kim? My assumption is that it involves some sort of Nuclear knowledge, I would prefer NK not become any more Nuclear capable.

Now, on the flipside, we might have a bunch of NK soldiers thay sre exposed to the outside world for the first time ever and perhaps they can bring reality back to NK and break the Kim spell.

There is also the possibility of a mass exodus of soldiers using th3 opportunity as a way to defect. Neither of those lessen the impact of the previous concerns though
Agree with all of this and I'm wondering where this puts NK's strongest ally, China. What do they think of this? Is it possible they could try to cool things down? Hope so but I ain't holding my breath.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

China will do whatever enhances its ability to take Taiwan in the next 15 years.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I agree with Sparko and fish, the time for attacking NK preemptively is much too 20th century-ish. Now, the price is too high, way too high. It would be the end of S Korea, possibly Japan, et al.

The good news is, there's no way Russia's (and NK's) benefactor, China, is going to let Russia escalate the Ukrainian conflict to the degree it would by putting NK troops on the ground. (It's also the reason why Putin's threats to use tactical nuclear weapons are hollow, baring an existential threat to Russia.) China's economy is too weak and dependent on Europe and the US, and Chinese citizens are too restive, for Xi to risk making his domestic situation even worse by allowing/getting into a WWIII-ish fight with the west. It just ain't gonna happen.

If I'm wrong, you can sue me.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

If you're wrong, I need a good pair of sunglasses.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:53 am If you're wrong, I need a good pair of sunglasses.
Just bot a pair of these for cycling. I've never owned Oakley sunglasses before, (I'm more of a Maui Jim kinda guy), but so far they seem to fit the bill. And, transition lenses have really improved since the first and only time I tried them before, in the last century.

Oakley Radar® EV Path® w/ Transition Lens
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Do you have to say, "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" at the cash register in order to be permitted to buy those?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:14 am Do you have to say, "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" at the cash register in order to be permitted to buy those?
lol, a good argument for buying them online...

BTW, as an attorney you already know this, but the wrong answer to that question from a cop who pulls you over is: "no".

Instead, you answer the question with a question, like: "Don't you know how fast I was going, you pulled me over?"
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Can't watch video at the moment, but I suspect the most impactful knock-on advantage will be that Russia is forced to rely more heavily on its scarce supply of true stand-off weapons (because Russia will not want to expose its aircraft to F-16s over Ukraine).

Which stand-off weapons, convergence alert, cannot (unlike artillery shells) be replenished from North Korean stores.

I highly doubt that Ukraine will expose its own scarce supply to F-16s to permanent SAM installations (being the ones on Russian soil).
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

North Korea can supply mostly manpower along with artillery shells that are of dubious quality. They can maybe get a square meal finally. But lowering the population must make the mini dictator giddy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:34 am Putin helps NK attack SK.

Meanwhile China eases into the S. China Sea and makes moves for Taiwan, 3 fronts

but it's all OK, Twocoach has assured me there is 0 chance for a ww3 in our lifetimes.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

hey, what better opportunity for diplomacy!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And to think none of this would have happened if we simply hadn't attacked Russia.