Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:45 pm DeAndre Ayton supposedly got 100k to go to Arizona..

Nijel fing Pack is getting 400k per year to go to Miami

exactly the same, this is all normal. Youre crazy to think this changes the sport at all...its always happened...see?!
One of the changes is that people now won't go to jail for breaking NCAA rules.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

thats the difference you choose to see in that example theb so be it. We'll never see eye to eye in the issue.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:27 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:23 pm does anyone know if the ncaa allowed/allows grad student stipends fur athletes?

i’m assuming not, but can’t recall any specific discussions about it
Those dollars are provided by the program, right? I would just assume that our grad players (Dave this season) were in programs where stipends were not even available.

Plus, I am guessing there is some ineligibility for the stipend given that the Williams Fund scholarship would cover the cost of the classes/program.

From a practical standpoint, knowing firsthand how small those stipends are, I am guessing that the tuition scholarship plus cost of living money is either not much less money or even more money than grad school stipends.
not always…some stipends come from NSF/NIH or other such entities

and why should the player have to limit their grad opportunities to those programs that don’t offer stipends?

sometimes those stipends are $20-25K/yr, but sometimes they’re more depending on the source and school. GTA-linked stipends are usually on the lower end, but fellowship stipends can be notably more. i even had a year where i was allowed to get both a fellowship stipend and get paid as a GTA…got hella paid relative to any other grad student
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:48 pm thats the difference you choose to see in that example theb so be it. We'll never see eye to eye in the issue.
The difference between your 2 (incomplete) examples is the effect of taking the dirtiness out of the exchange of that type of money. They no longer have to break federal laws.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:48 pm thats the difference you choose to see in that example theb so be it. We'll never see eye to eye in the issue.
Here's the thing.
I get why JFish ( and CnB ) likes this. It's going to keep elite players in college. The basketball will likely be a better product.
I'm not putting extreme words in his mouth like, "he's just happy that the rich white man is going down, that's the main reason he likes it" - I get his opinion.

So when he and CnB escalate it to inferring negative reasons why someone might prefer a different direction, well, they're just being assholes, and that normally isn't their MO.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:53 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:27 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:23 pm does anyone know if the ncaa allowed/allows grad student stipends fur athletes?

i’m assuming not, but can’t recall any specific discussions about it
Those dollars are provided by the program, right? I would just assume that our grad players (Dave this season) were in programs where stipends were not even available.

Plus, I am guessing there is some ineligibility for the stipend given that the Williams Fund scholarship would cover the cost of the classes/program.

From a practical standpoint, knowing firsthand how small those stipends are, I am guessing that the tuition scholarship plus cost of living money is either not much less money or even more money than grad school stipends.
not always…some stipends come from NSF/NIH or other such entities

and why should the player have to limit their grad opportunities to those programs that don’t offer stipends?

sometimes those stipends are $20-25K/yr, but sometimes they’re more depending on the source and school. GTA-linked stipends are usually on the lower end, but fellowship stipends can be notably more. i even had a year where i was allowed to get both a fellowship stipend and get paid as a GTA…got hella paid relative to any other grad student
I don't think they should be limited, I just think the reality is that these guys aren't enrolling in Masters/PhD programs where some of the good stipends are. As you're aware, there are plenty of graduate courses/programs that have to be paid out of pocket by the student--I am guessing the majority of these early grad athletes are enrolling in those--especially considering the low percentage of athletes that actually complete a grad program that they start.

I do think there would be tax implications if getting both an athletic scholarship and a stipend, but like I said, I would guess the cost of living money they receive isn't that much less than a typical grad stipend.

edit: also, many of the grad stipend positions come with an obligation to teach for at least 1 semester per year, and there's just no way an athlete has time for that. Basketball players especially miss a shit-ton of classroom time.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

continuing down the path. the next logical move to be made is to take the classroom portion out of the equation. give the kids the option. if they want to get their education, they can. if they don't, they won't have to.

there is no doubt in my mind. it's coming.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right.
That and multiyear contracts.
This is not far fetched in my mind.

BuT itS AlReADy HAppeNinG!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 pm continuing down the path. the next logical move to be made is to take the classroom portion out of the equation. give the kids the option. if they want to get their education, they can. if they don't, they won't have to.

It has never made sense that Professional Athletics isn’t a full-blown major at Power 5 schools. What REALLY makes a joke of academics (in the context of college athletics) is the prevalence of degree-mill majors, where the whole thing is a known farce.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 pm continuing down the path. the next logical move to be made is to take the classroom portion out of the equation. give the kids the option. if they want to get their education, they can. if they don't, they won't have to.

NIL is not an attack on the student part of student-athlete. It's entirely separate.

Removing education requirements for student athletes has nothing to do with changing NIL rules--that's all on the schools, who have been relaxing standards for athletes for decades to help boost the school's own brand and image.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Why even go to class though?
Honestly?
If you just got 400k to play, why should you have to attend one class?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:14 pm

It has never made sense that Professional Athletics isn’t a full-blown major at Power 5 schools. What REALLY makes a joke of academics (in the context of college athletics) is the prevalence of degree-mill majors, where the whole thing is a known farce.
I read the All Big 12 academic First Team winners last week and they had each winner's major listed. Every player that made it from Oklahoma State had a major of: "University Studies."
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:16 pm

I read the All Big 12 academic First Team winners last week and they had each winner's major listed. Every player that made it from Oklahoma State had a major of: "University Studies."
Damn it! The guys taking their classes were supposed to be Pre Med!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:16 pm Why even go to class though?
Honestly?
sounds like the “carolina way”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:28 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:16 pm Why even go to class though?
Honestly?
sounds like the “carolina way”
That's out of the NCAA's jurisdiction, though.

The NCAA was created to prosecute on unsourced, hearsay evidence from a criminal trial and not to govern whether or not student-athletes are actually legitimate students.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

At this point, players shouldn't have to go to class, nor live on/near campus.

You could even rebuild a new, bigger arena away from the congestion of the university. There aren't enough chair backs at that old barn. The concession set up is severely lacking. And where are the box seats? Kansas City has a larger market.

While you are at it, Kansas Jayhawks? Is anyone really tied to that? The name is actually kind of cringy, as it relates to murder and assault. I don't know who this Phog guy is but I hear he was important. And we can also pay tribute to the important people besides the players and coaches that make this happen - you know, some sentimental bullshit. Introducing your KC Phogushers.

Finally, free and fair market, not coming on the backs of those poor athletes, and premiere parking for my XC90.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

just gotta make sure we get the adjoining mall and movie theater
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Anyone know the difference/s between "University Studies" and "Communication Studies"?

35-40 years ago an athlete at KU didn't "have to" attend classes.
Do they now?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Goes without saying.
Food court must have our new restaurant pizza chain, Honey Slice.
People love that shit and if they don't, they are racist or at the very least, privileged.

That reminds me, you wouldn't believe the bad experience at the Centurion lounge the other day.
Makes me want to never have to slum it flying business class to London for a client wedding ever again.

Sigh. Well. It's not about me. Back to the oppression talk. We just signed a guy for 1.2 million. Finally, we're solving the moral ethical issues from the ground up.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:43 pm

Anyone know the difference/s between "University Studies" and "Communication Studies"?

35-40 years ago an athlete at KU didn't "have to" attend classes.
Do they now?
COMS is a real department with undergraduate and graduate degrees. "University Studies" sounds like what KU would call "undeclared."

Class attendance is usually set by the professor and/or department. Otherwise, no student, athlete or not, "has to" attend classes. Being in New Orleans for the Final Four would be an excused absence.