RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: NBA draft

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:49 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:45 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:38 am

I rate this post 4 on a scale of 10!

(Which is higher than that weakass Walgreens post you made in the Politics forum earlier.)
Damn! Thank you! I'll consider that the highlight of my day so far.
Learning I am getting a decent free lunch today comes in a close 2nd.
Does "decent" mean there are only ~ 7 - 8 slices of bacon?
DAMN! I told them to order me a burger and I forgot to tell them to put bacon on it.

It's still early, thanks for the heads up! I'm going to tell them to tell the restaurant to put EXTRA bacon on it.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:18 pm That's a good pick for the Boston Pdubs
I like it.
I think the Celtics see that Hauser is going to cost too much on the horizon and he's the potential replacement.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:44 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:34 am
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:05 am

Interesting to see Knecht fall because of his age.

Furphy is one that I can't quite figure out. I think it's possible he could have stayed in school and still never been "sexy" enough to go first round.

Selden stayed, and it didn't work out. So it's not always a lock that staying in school = developing into a first round pick.

Do I think Furphy could have become a better player than Selden? Maybe. Probably. Better shooter. Significantly less physical tools.

Watching those first 10 picks was sort of eye opening this year. I hadn't really heard of several of those guys. The best NBA prospects aren't playing in college as much as they used to.
Show me examples like Selden and I will show you player after player after player who boosted their stock under Self...Furphy was in a prime position to be such a player.
Oh, no doubt. I just think Furphy had a rapid rise to where he's at now, which makes it harder not to strike while the iron is hot. 12+ months ago I don't think he thought the NBA was a realistic outcome for him in the near term.

I don't know enough about next year's class to guess where he'd end up. 8 of this year's 1st rounders didn't even play in college. I do think he'd go higher next year than he is going to go this year. AND he'd be a better basketball player.
The hard part is figuring out his near-term (today - two years) ceiling.

If late 1st/early 2nd is that ceiling...well then I guess there's a case to be made for being second-contract eligible at 22ish (which means a possible second meaningful payday before you're in vet minimum journeyman land).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

His current path leaves a lot less room for error.
If he played even below average for a 1st round pick after his sophomore year at KU, he'd still have a good shot at his 4th year getting picked up.

Now if he doesn't pan out?
Maybe little to no guaranteed money.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:16 am His current path leaves a lot less room for error.
If he played even below average for a 1st round pick after his sophomore year at KU, he'd still have a good shot at his 4th year getting picked up.

I agree with you.

I also know that impostor syndrome is real, and it is certainly possible he convinced himself that his true talent level is below his highlight tape from last year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's also - without getting into value judgments one way or the other - the case that as best as we understand things, the financial math for returning is possibly different for Furphy than it is for American-born players.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:16 am His current path leaves a lot less room for error.

If he wants it, he will always have guaranteed money playing basketball.
Not first round NBA draft pick kind of money but guaranteed money none the less.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right.
But his decision leads me to believe he wanted first round NBA draft pick kind of money.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:29 am It's also - without getting into value judgments one way or the other - the case that as best as we understand things, the financial math for returning is possibly different for Furphy than it is for American-born players.
From what I was told by a somewhat reliable source, Edey made himself a lot more at Purdue than has been reported.
Regardless of all that, the bottom line is, most likely Furphy will be making substantially more money in the NBA this upcoming season than he will have made if he returned to KU.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:36 am Right.
But his decision leads me to believe he wanted first round NBA draft pick kind of money.
Right. Who wouldn't want first round NBA money?
He knew he was a borderline first rounder. He hoped for (probably expected) the best. Didn't happen.
Second best is better than 99% of kids his age who want to play professional basketball will get.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:36 am Regardless of all that, the bottom line is, most likely Furphy will be making substantially more money in the NBA this upcoming season than he will have made if he returned to KU.
If he signs a two way contract, I doubt it.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The question is how far is he going to fall? And will he be in the green room for day 2? Is there a green room for day 2?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:45 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:36 am Regardless of all that, the bottom line is, most likely Furphy will be making substantially more money in the NBA this upcoming season than he will have made if he returned to KU.
If he signs a two way contract, I doubt it.
Setting aside the weird visa/tax stuff that comes from him not being an American citizen, this is sort of right where you'd expect the market to settle.

And if it were my kid, my advice would be that, 25 years from now, you'd have MUCH rather "made" [x] playing at Kansas next year than, like, [1.1x] playing on a two-way.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

So much of his success now depends on whether or not he's a hard worker and a self-starter. No Bill Self to push him. He's got 2 or 3 years to prove he's good enough. After that, it's probably over.

I think he'll be lucky to have a career like Svi. Which isn't negative. I think Svi was better at basketball when he left KU than Furphy is.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Hey Mr Booster, it's Mass Street Collective. We want to keep Furphy. Can we get 500k from you?"
"Yea, sure, my stocks have been going through the roof as I find more and more ways to distance myself from the middle class without paying taxes. 500k no problem."
"OK, great."

"Hey Marketing Agency in Australia. We want to partner with you - and make Furphy a star. We'll pay you 500k but 300k of that needs to be earmarked to go to Furphy as your exclusive business influencer. Now find potential partners in Australia, it doesn't matter at all what they pay you for the partnership, and have Furphy do his thing with them for a day or two, whatever."

You know, fun loopholes that are easier than hopscotch.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:00 pm "Hey Mr Booster, it's Mass Street Collective. We want to keep Furphy. Can we get 500k from you?"
"Yea, sure, my stocks have been going through the roof as I find more and more ways to distance myself from the middle class without paying taxes. 500k no problem."
"OK, great."

"Hey Marketing Agency in Australia. We want to partner with you - and make Furphy a star. We'll pay you 500k but 300k of that needs to be earmarked to go to Furphy as your exclusive business influencer. Now find potential partners in Australia, it doesn't matter at all what they pay you for the partnership, and have Furphy do his thing with them for a day or two, whatever."

Google "SCOTUS Snyder" and take it to the Pols bored.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:00 pm "Hey Mr Booster, it's Mass Street Collective. We want to keep Furphy. Can we get 500k from you?"
"OK, great."

Agreed.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Question of the day:

Who is on a roster for more NBA games:
A. Furphy
B. McCullar
C. Bronny

?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:06 pm Question of the day:

Who is on a roster for more NBA games:
A. Furphy
B. McCullar
C. Bronny

?
I'll go A - C - B.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Great question.
I still think Furphy has the best shot of all of them to stick so I'll go A.

The Jazz and the Raptors pick 1st and 2nd in todays draft.
Though Furphy is much like Dick, meaning I will follow him just barely more than the average NBA player since he/they barely played at KU, I'd still prefer him not to land on a team where he could be competing with minutes with other guards from KU.

So let's hope he gets picked 33rd and goes to Milwaukee.