Post by Deleted User 318 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:49 pm 2. at least you're among the 27
Take it to the fUnemployment thread.
PhDhawk

Re: Dumbfuck in charge

Post by PhDhawk »

Grandma wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:33 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:06 pm
NiceDC wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 pm How many PhDs do you have?
If I won the lottery, I would quit my job and spend the rest of my life on a college campus collecting knowledge and degrees while enjoying the sights and sounds of a college campus. My lack of a PhD means nothing more than that I have not made an effort to attain one to this point in my life.

And there are a lot of people who have accumulated a vast amount of intelligence and degrees that don't know the first freaking thing about how to interact with other members of our society. It's the difference between "intelligent" and "smart". Some are varying degrees of one or the other, some are varying degrees of both, some are neither to any degree.
These questions are open for anyone to answer.

First serious dumb question. You are applying for a job and you have a PhD in let's say Music or Art History.
How is that going to help you land a job in a different field over someone who has experience in that other field and doesn't have a PhD?

Second serious dumb question. You have a PhD. You apply for a job. There are 27 applicants who are called in for an interview. You are one of the 27. All 27 have PhDs. Now what is your PhD doing for you?
1. If you have equal amounts of experience having a PhD in addition would show you're hard working and see things through to completion and have an expertise in something. (And of course there are other things on the other resumes that could show the same things)

2. It got you the interview.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:33 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:06 pm
NiceDC wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 pm How many PhDs do you have?
If I won the lottery, I would quit my job and spend the rest of my life on a college campus collecting knowledge and degrees while enjoying the sights and sounds of a college campus. My lack of a PhD means nothing more than that I have not made an effort to attain one to this point in my life.

And there are a lot of people who have accumulated a vast amount of intelligence and degrees that don't know the first freaking thing about how to interact with other members of our society. It's the difference between "intelligent" and "smart". Some are varying degrees of one or the other, some are varying degrees of both, some are neither to any degree.
These questions are open for anyone to answer.

First serious dumb question. You are applying for a job and you have a PhD in let's say Music or Art History.
How is that going to help you land a job in a different field over someone who has experience in that other field and doesn't have a PhD?

Second serious dumb question. You have a PhD. You apply for a job. There are 27 applicants who are called in for an interview. You are one of the 27. All 27 have PhDs. Now what is your PhD doing for you?
Maybe not having the PhD eliminates you from being one of those 27. I dont know.

I got enough degree to get myself into the career I wanted. Now that I am here, additional degrees dont help me professionally. A masters wouldn't get me additional pay and I have zero desire to be a manager. I dont want to teach, especially at a university, so I dont need it for that. Additional degrees would just be additional debt for me personally.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Nitpicking Grandma time.....

Kayleigh __________ McEnany- "The president is very much against kneeling ummm, in general".
* Hmmm. Yes, I get that she was answering the question in reference to NFL players but I hope his supporters know they probably shouldn't kneel in Church because The Donald is against kneeling - in general.

Kayleigh __________ McEnany - "President Trump won 8 percent of the black vote. Mitt Romney won 2 percent.”
* Ummmm...... WRONG! Romney "won" 6 percent and gee - what a shocker she didn't mention the color of the skin of the Man he ran against.

Kayleigh _________ McEnany - "Guess what America is".
* A country with an asshole President? What do I win?

Kayleigh _________ McEnany - "I just want to note ummm some of the great things our police have done in the last year alone".... "And in Arizona, Charlie called 911 asking for a Happy Meal mistakenly and police delivered".
* Immediate end of presser after she said that and she walked away on that note.
Deleted User 289

ousy, PhD, and 2Coach - Thanks for your responses!

ousy - 1. Good answer. 2. Yes, you are among the 27 but your PhD very well may be doing you nothing more than it's doing the other 26 who have PhDs.

PhD - 1. Very good point that having a PhD shows you are dedicated and hard working - at least academically. 2. I wasn't detailed so we assume it got you the interview. It may to may not have been a requirement. Regardless, I'm not sure having the PhD does anything other than make you equal in one area. I don't discount where people got their education but I am curious how many employers weigh if someone received their PhD in "Business" from Pigsknuckle State compared to someone who got their PhD in "Business" from (I was going to say Wharton but then the Donald Trump factor comes in to play) Harvard.

2Coach - "I don't know" was a great response because as I said to PhD, I didn't make my scenario very clear.

I had a debate with a friend who feels it should be a requirement for all law enforcement officials (cops on up) to have a college degree. I said I would rather have a cop with outstanding police training and no college education than a cop with a PhD and shitty police training - 24/7/365.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Grandma wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:41 pm I don't discount where people got their education but I am curious how many employers weigh if someone received their PhD in "Business" from Pigsknuckle State compared to someone who got their PhD in "Business" from (I was going to say Wharton but then the Donald Trump factor comes in to play) Harvard.
The reason I am not an academic is a result of the scenario you describe. Among academics, at least at PhD-granting institutions it mattered (matters?) more where you did your PhD and post-doctoral research than the quality of your proposed research and the quality and number of research publications. At least that was the case about 25-30 years ago, and I have little reason to believe that it's changed substantially. In fact when I was presenting my post-doc work at one of the Gordon Conferences early into my industrial research career a rather senior professor from a small school was very interested in my work and asked why I didnt' pursue an academic career. My response to him was "Because all of you want to know 'who and where I did/do my post-doc, who was my PhD adviser and how many papers I have in {name of Journals}; in that order'. If the order of questions were reversed I may have an academic job now". He was very taken aback that I would vocalize it that way, essentially holding a mirror to the academic community. In fact, at some of the prestigious universities it matters not just which school you got the degree from but who your adviser was.

While the situation is most egregious in academics (at least in my field) it's not uncommon in industry. However, for senior level positions (requiring >10 years industrial experience) experience counts more than education.

POST EDIT: To be clear, neither my Master's, PhD nor post-doc research were carried out at the proverbial "Pigksnuckle State". They were quite reputable universities, including KU. Just not one of THE schools desired by many academic departments. Also, when I was a leading candidate at one school the funding for the position didn't materialize and they pulled the search!
Last edited by zsn on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 289

zsn - Thanks for the detailed and interesting response!
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:11 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:54 pm It is fascinating to see the flip flopping trump brings out in some people. Not directed at anyone specifically (and not meant maliciously), but i see a lot of "i don't want/need to hear anything trump has to say" but also a lot of "trump didn't say anything about *insert whatever topic*" from the same people.

I fall into the category of people who never want/need to hear trump say much about anything about anything because its usually either a lie or just some dumb nonsense. I dont respect him as a person or a president and I certainly don't look to him for leadership/guidance on anything. Hopefully we are nearing the end of his relevance politically...then I'll stomach Biden for however long he lasts and just hope somehow someway we get a better crop of front runners for 2024.
If Trump would have made a statement immediately to try to calm things down and to call for unity and peace then it would have had a chance to be perceived as not full of shit
Do you believe that? I don't at all. Trump can't "calm down" people who hate him.

For a large % of the population Trump can't do/say ANYTHING that is "right". And he's pretty much earned that.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:24 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:11 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:54 pm It is fascinating to see the flip flopping trump brings out in some people. Not directed at anyone specifically (and not meant maliciously), but i see a lot of "i don't want/need to hear anything trump has to say" but also a lot of "trump didn't say anything about *insert whatever topic*" from the same people.

I fall into the category of people who never want/need to hear trump say much about anything about anything because its usually either a lie or just some dumb nonsense. I dont respect him as a person or a president and I certainly don't look to him for leadership/guidance on anything. Hopefully we are nearing the end of his relevance politically...then I'll stomach Biden for however long he lasts and just hope somehow someway we get a better crop of front runners for 2024.
If Trump would have made a statement immediately to try to calm things down and to call for unity and peace then it would have had a chance to be perceived as not full of shit
Do you believe that? I don't at all. Trump can't "calm down" people who hate him.

For a large % of the population Trump can't do/say ANYTHING that is "right". And he's pretty much earned that.
We'll never know because he chose to pour gasoline on the situation instead.
Deleted User 289

I'm not going to post everything he's tweeting this morning. He's really on a roll today.
Sometimes I wonder if he purposely wants to challenge if he can get the 25th amendment invoked.
Deleted User 318

Grandma wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:58 am I'm not going to post everything he's tweeting this morning. He's really on a roll today.
Sometimes I wonder if he purposely wants to challenge if he can get the 25th amendment invoked.
Can't lose an election if you are removed from office.

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Will you look at this piece of shit?!

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

sdoyel wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:27 am Will you look at this piece of shit?!

That such a statement is both so (1) obviously disprovable, and (2) against his interests, is indicative of how diseased Trump is, mentally, emotionally and morally. He is now an anchor that may sink the GOP's Senate majority.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:52 am
Keep piling it on, Mr. President. I have had conversations with two friends who are lifelong Republicans in the last three days and each have stated that they will be voting against every Republican on their ballot because they have had enough of these enablers allowing this clown to ruin the party that they used to support.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There's a reason McConnell will stay in hyperdrive, as far as appointing judges - there's a good chance the music is about to stop.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

As critical as it is to remove Trump from office, it may be even more critical to remove Mitch..
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:20 am As critical as it is to remove Trump from office, it may be even more critical to remove Mitch..
Down a point in a poll I saw this morning. Should that one stay close, Don might get thrown overboard.
Deleted User 318

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:20 am As critical as it is to remove Trump from office, it may be even more critical to remove Mitch..
Nice! Amy McGrath, the likely Democratic nominee, has a one-point lead in a head-to-head over Mitvh (released today). That same poll has Trump 53 - Biden 35

https://www.newsweek.com/amy-mcgrath-ta ... ws-1509691

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/kentucky/