Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:44 am I have asked this before and I will ask it again today, who could/should the Dems have run that WOULD (not could) beat Trump?
I have said this before and I will say it again today, If he loses, there is ZERO chance he concedes peacefully.
This is what is crazy to me. If it goes to the Supreme Court, they favor a convicted felon over the Vice President of the United States.
I think Harris was the optimal choice, given where the pieces on the chessboard sat at the time Biden stepped away.

And in fact that was, for better or worse, going to be the case even if Biden had stepped away earlier - right or wrong, fair or unfair, good or bad, this was the strategic choice the party made in 2020.

I agree he won’t concede.

But I think - wildly optimistically, you might say - that the gap period between voting and inauguration may actually be less intense this time around.

* Think about relative fervor and crowd sizes this year as compared with 2016 and 2020.

* Think about 1500+ of the full-metal-rubes having been convicted of felonies for 1/6 (and in many/most cases still serving sentences).

* Think about Trump not having the powers of the office this time.

However, my optimism depends on Harris winning by more comfortable margins this year than Biden did in 2020. I agree that if there are a small number of extremely close states, comprising her EC margin, then the potential for fuckery and violence is substantial.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

The fuckery that you fear is coming regardless
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:33 am The fuckery that you fear is coming regardless
I think what’s an open question is whether it’s in the form of a supercell or isolated severe (and possibly tornadic) storms.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:38 am
Overlander wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:33 am The fuckery that you fear is coming regardless
I think what’s an open question is whether it’s in the form of a supercell or isolated severe (and possibly tornadic) storms.
Supercell.
If Trump wins, those high-fringe types will feel empowered to do the things that they always wanted to do. They will feel empowered to do so and free of fear of repercussions.

If Trump loses…..Holy Fuck
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You’d know better than me. I have hope that the room-temperature-ness of “mainstream” R support will mean there’s just less energy for the storms. To abuse the metaphor.

Of course, in losing (and facing death in prison) Trump will have little incentive NOT to press every button.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:45 am You’d know better than me. I have hope that the room-temperature-ness of “mainstream” R support will mean there’s just less energy for the storms. To abuse the metaphor.

Of course, in losing (and facing death in prison) Trump will have little incentive NOT to press every button.
I fully expect that if Trump loses that he will fling anything he can think up at us. It will be an avalanche of absurdity. Frankly, I am hoping that the sheer level of absurdity actually works a bit to undermine it because it makes even the most fervent start to roll their eyes at it a bit. But yeah, it is 100% coming and it is going to be ridiculous.

Hopefully Harris wins and we have to deal with it because it is the better of the two options.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Would be nice if the mainstream would do its job and report the fucking truth, not report to the midpoint of a centrist-D and an aspiring dictator held back only by his own stupidity, impatience and arch vanity.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

who are these "centrist-d" that you refer to. cause i know it ain't the harris/walls ticket.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:41 am who are these "centrist-d" that you refer to. cause i know it ain't the harris/walls ticket.
You are being wrongly conditioned to think Harris is left-leaning (among the left side). She is not. Her vulnerability (and failure) in the primaries was BECAUSE she is a centrist.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There is not a single Fortune 100 CEO who is on the record as supporting Trump.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you know i know exactly what the scene is.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:59 am you know i know exactly what the scene is.
You know the scene that has been set for you. It is a sham.

Harris is center-left. Not a "marxist" or even relatively progressive.

That is simply reality.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

but that’s not what jesse waters or laura ingraham told him
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:23 am but that’s not what jesse waters or laura ingraham told him
To be fair, they can only be expected to be so proficient at translating and communicating the directions they received. That Cyrillic alphabet is weird.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I Believe Trump When He Says Kicking Immigrants Out Will Be A 'Bloody Story'

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... mmigrants/
It all became a farce over the weekend—the whole of the presidential campaign, but especially Tuesday night's debate between the former president* and the current vice president. It will all be covered as though this were nothing more than a conventional political campaign, perhaps a little noisier than most of them. When in fact, one of the candidates is now running as an out-and-out fascist, his authoritarian ravings mitigated only marginally by the fact that he also is obviously lost in a cognitive netherworld. I have chosen to believe every word he said over the weekend.

At a rally in Wisconsin, talking about his plans for mass deportations of what he and his government of minor-league gauleiters will determine to be illegal immigrants, he said:
But in Colorado they've taken over. I mean in Colorado they are so brazen. They've taken over sections of the state and getting them out will be a bloody story. They should have never been allowed to come into our country. Nobody checked them. Were they criminals? Were they from jails? We have them pouring out from jails. We have the worst criminals in all of these countries. 168 so far are registered. 168 countries. They are in our country, and they said if you come back, you will be executed. You will be killed immediately. Not going to be easy, but we'll do it.
And on his own cyber-Sturmer:
“CEASE & DESIST: I, together with many Attorneys and Legal Scholars, am watching the Sanctity of the 2024 Presidential Election very closely because I know, better than most, the rampant Cheating and Skullduggery that has taken place by the Democrats in the 2020 Presidential Election.
"It was a Disgrace to our Nation! Therefore, the 2024 Election, where Votes have just started being cast, will be under the closest professional scrutiny and, WHEN I WIN, those people that CHEATED will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the Law, which will include long term prison sentences so that this Depravity of Justice does not happen again.

“We cannot let our Country further devolve into a Third World Nation, AND WE WON’T! Please beware that this legal exposure extends to Lawyers, Political Operatives, Donors, Illegal Voters, & Corrupt Election Officials. Those involved in unscrupulous behavior will be sought out, caught, and prosecuted at levels, unfortunately, never seen before in our Country.”
This is not normal. This is not typical campaign rhetoric. Hell, it isn't even typical campaign mudslinging. It is the volcanic waste-product of a dangerous and disordered mind. And I choose to believe he means every word of it. I believe he will have his mass deportation squads and that they will be as bloody in their work as they think they have to be, and I believe he will honor sadism at the highest level of the government.

I believe he would arrange to have governors and secretaries of state and poll workers and inconvenient voters thrown into jail, and that he will enforce it through thuggery at polling places. Why would I not believe it? He keeps saying it in front of god and the world. He is a mentally unravelling out-and-out fascist and he is within a whisker of the White House again. He is a mortal threat to everything that is vital to the survival of this republic as we know it. To write about him as such, and to write about him as such every damn day from now until the first Tuesday of November is the proper, truthful, and, yes, the objective thing to do.

What is not proper, truthful, or objective is the weak-tea approach taken by A.O. Sulzberger, the publisher of The New York Times, who comes right up to the edge of doing what is right, and then scurries back to that airy place that has proven to be helpless in the face of the threat Sulzberger already has described.
As someone who strongly believes in the foundational importance of journalistic independence, I have no interest in wading into politics. I disagree with those who have suggested that the risk Trump poses to the free press is so high that news organizations such as mine should cast aside neutrality and directly oppose his reelection. It is beyond shortsighted to give up journalistic independence out of fear that it might later be taken away. At The Times, we are committed to following the facts and presenting a full, fair and accurate picture of November’s election and the candidates and issues shaping it. Our democratic model asks different institutions to play different roles; this is ours.
It is full, fair, and accurate to describe the Republican candidate for president as an angry, addled fascist whose every public utterance has been another dagger pointed at the heart of the system Sulzberger says is so profoundly threatened. Neutrality is surrender in this unique period in our history, the one that Sulzberger quite accurately describes elsewhere in his column. The NYT's political coverage has demonstrated nothing more clearly than it has illustrated that neutrality is a perilous fetishism in the best of times. These are not the best of times.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:30 pm Um, for starters, let's get that shit on your primary website:

https://kamalaharris.com/meet-kamala-harris/
There we are.
Thank you.
Regardless if she can get this done, as long as it's her platform, I am interested.

https://kamalaharris.com/issues/

"This includes rolling back Trump’s tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, enacting a billionaire minimum tax, quadrupling the tax on stock buybacks, and other reforms to ensure the very wealthy are playing by the same rules as the middle class. Under her plan, the tax rate on long-term capital gains for those earning a million dollars a year or more will be 28 percent, because when the government encourages investment, it leads to broad-based economic growth and creates jobs, which makes our economy stronger."

"As Vice President, she also announced that medical debt will be removed from credit reports, and helped cancel $7 billion of medical debt for 3 million Americans. As President, she’ll work with states to cancel medical debt for even more Americans."

"She’ll fight to ensure that no former president has immunity for crimes committed while in the White House. She will also support common-sense Supreme Court reforms—like requiring Justices to comply with ethics rules that other federal judges are bound by and imposing term limits—to address the crisis of confidence facing the Supreme Court."

"She’ll ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, require universal background checks, and support red flag laws that keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people."

I'm 95% of the way there...now just don't completely fuck up the debate tonight and i'm in.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:22 am
pdub wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:30 pm Um, for starters, let's get that shit on your primary website:

https://kamalaharris.com/meet-kamala-harris/
There we are.
Thank you.
Regardless if she can get this done, as long as it's her platform, I am interested.

https://kamalaharris.com/issues/

"This includes rolling back Trump’s tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, enacting a billionaire minimum tax, quadrupling the tax on stock buybacks, and other reforms to ensure the very wealthy are playing by the same rules as the middle class. Under her plan, the tax rate on long-term capital gains for those earning a million dollars a year or more will be 28 percent, because when the government encourages investment, it leads to broad-based economic growth and creates jobs, which makes our economy stronger."

"As Vice President, she also announced that medical debt will be removed from credit reports, and helped cancel $7 billion of medical debt for 3 million Americans. As President, she’ll work with states to cancel medical debt for even more Americans."

"She’ll fight to ensure that no former president has immunity for crimes committed while in the White House. She will also support common-sense Supreme Court reforms—like requiring Justices to comply with ethics rules that other federal judges are bound by and imposing term limits—to address the crisis of confidence facing the Supreme Court."

"She’ll ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, require universal background checks, and support red flag laws that keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people."

I'm 95% of the way there...now just don't completely fuck up the debate tonight and i'm in.
Making him seem morally small and sweatily feckless on substance, with an occasional guided missile attack on particular personal vulnerabilities, is the play.

If the moderators (or Harris) just stay with a policy question until Trump actually answers, it will become apparent that he has no answers at all.

Just hate-bait slogans and (false) stories that go nowhere.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the difference in expectations for this debate is stark

i don’t even think Hillary had such high expectations for her debate(s)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:31 am the difference in expectations for this debate is stark

i don’t even think Hillary had such high expectations for her debate(s)
She should take it as a compliment. The clear majority wants to see her go meat necklace on him.