NBA Offseason

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If a basketball player is asked to be in the Olympics and he does it once, he's good with me for the rest of his career.

Buncha nationalists up in here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The Olympics are very cool. Jeopardizing hundreds of millions in potential earnings is a big ask.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 am If a basketball player is asked to be in the Olympics and he does it once, he's good with me for the rest of his career.

Thinking back on this, if a player is asked and never does the Olympics, he's also fine with me.

Just seems sanctimonious to scold a player for not doing so. It's a personal and business decision.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:24 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 am If a basketball player is asked to be in the Olympics and he does it once, he's good with me for the rest of his career.

Thinking back on this, if a player is asked and never does the Olympics, he's also fine with me.

Just seems sanctimonious to scold a player for not doing so. It's a personal and business decision.
...and there would be NOTHING preventing the USOC or some other body from offering some Lloyd's policies providing meaningful cover. Just costs money.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

true, just as it’s a personal opinion that it’s a disservice to the spirit of things like the olympics when our best aren’t the ones representing

i’m sure there’s some recency bias, but it sure seems like there are more “stars” choosing to forgo these competitions than there used to be
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 am true, just as it’s a personal opinion that it’s a disservice to the spirit of things like the olympics when our best aren’t the ones representing
I think basketball and baseball are unique here as it applies to world competitions. They aren't really a measurement of the best. The NBA and MLB are already that measurement. Swimming, T&F, sure. Even the World Cup for soccer.

So, for the basketball players, it kind of comes down to the "for country" thing, and personally, I can take that or leave it. Do it once, you're more than good in my eyes. FIBA World Cup? Did anyone even watch a second of it?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bunch of libs on this thread.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But in all seriousness, just another example of the boreds lawyers focused on dolla dolla bills.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am But in all seriousness, just another example of the boreds lawyers focused on dolla dolla bills.
Would I do my job for free if there's a nonzero chance that doing so would jeopardize my ability to do it for money, ever again? Or for much less?

I would not.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

For Glory. For Firm. For Country.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:44 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am But in all seriousness, just another example of the boreds lawyers focused on dolla dolla bills.
Would I do my job for free if there's a nonzero chance that doing so would jeopardize my ability to do it for money, ever again? Or for much less?

I would not.

I thought olympians got some payment, no?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

40k for a gold medal.
The players recruited already have millions.
It's not like asking a coal miner to work for free. It's basketball. And it's the Olympics.

If I was one of the best at my job and was asked to do my job for good -- hell yes I would want to represent my country.

And you have a number of players who feel the same way.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

I don't expect anyone to watch all of this but it offers some insight in to the mentality of the NBA guys in 92 - playing in the Olympics. Starts around the 6:45 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdM049s3Md0
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm 40k for a gold medal.
It's not like asking a coal miner to work for free. It's basketball. And it's the Olympics.

If I was one of the best at my job and was asked to do my job for good -- hell yes I would want to represent my country.

Can you please expand upon the “for good” part?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:29 pm I don't expect anyone to watch all of this but it offers some insight in to the mentality of the NBA guys in 92 - playing in the Olympics. Starts around the 6:45 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdM049s3Md0
I mean, context.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm 40k for a gold medal.

I like to think that, were I already financially secure a few dozen times over, I'd take the risk. Play for my country, all of that. I just get why some guys don't do it, and I can't fault them for it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There are a host of reasons. For instance, I think Wiggs did the absolute right thing by not playing for Canada in this thing.
noosh

Post by noosh »

LOL Wiggins. He doesn't rebound. He doesn't defend. He doesn't get assists. He doesn't shoot well. He'll score ... sometimes, but that's all he does. He's soft. He lacks toughness game to game and he isn't always aggressive.I think he didn't play so as to not further expose how shitty he has been as a pro.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

And for the US pros, their team might lose. Reason number two why I would not play.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Your position is the U.S pros should not play because they might lose! You’re rugged.