2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by holidaysmore »

If KU had a QB coming back or in I could see AP staying. Smart of him. This year all but derailed any talk of going to the next level.
He would be smart to go some where that throws the ball. He has league measurables but I’m not sure if he has the tape to back it up. Another year of consistency would go a long way for helping his case to be playing on Sunday’s.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Les just DGAF about his image. And it’s kind of awesome in a way.

https://twitter.com/coachlesmiles/statu ... 30025?s=21
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i didn’t know he was blind
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I laughed.

That's just not something I expected to see on a Tuesday morning. But signing day is tomorrow for the 2021 class.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Now that we can officially burn or bury anything about the 2020 season I can dig the vibes the staff is putting out. If nothing more this is a drastic change from what Beaty ever did. If Les & Co can hold on to this class all things being considered that will be more important than if he could have got three wins in 2020.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Would be nice to have more in-state talent, but they are hitting Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Texas hard. And KU has gotten nice players recently from there. Dajon Terry, Marcus Harris, Karon Prunty and so many more.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

is there a trend for where the top Kansas kids go?

are they staying in conference?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

My very rough take on KS FB recruiting (correct me if I'm way off):

Each year you'll have maybe 1-2 guys that are sought after by like OU, Iowa, some SEC schools.

Then about 8-12 that KU and KSU end up offering. From those guys it's all about development, growth, and a little bit of luck who become legitimate Big 12 players.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Here is a quick look at Kansas HS recruits. #1 in the state is #416 nationally.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Footb ... l&State=KS
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Big 10 hits Kansas very hard. Wisconsin and Minnesota are the 2 biggest Big 10 schools that go after Kansas kids more recently. Nebraska also gets their guys that they want, especially linemen.

Big 12 mostly stays away from Kansas. OU and oSu get a few guys every other year or so.

But as CnB said. It's a lot of development, growth and some luck to see who from the state is an actual Big 12 performer.

The best thing KU has going for them right now honestly is that they are playing a ton of young guys. There is no wait to play. You come here, you will play. You will not sit for 2-3 years like other programs.

And the kids like that. And that's all that really matters.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

But like I mentioned, Kansas is doing very well in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Florida. Those 4 states, they are getting guys who are playing right away and playing well.

That's Dearmon, Jackson and Eargle having an influence as they are all from the South.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

On field results have struggled obviously but you can’t deny that Miles and Co can recruit as a Scott Chasen points out. 4 of the top 10 recruits in Kansas football history have signed since 2019 (Miles first class)

https://twitter.com/chasenscott/status/ ... 50496?s=21

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

2 of them in 2021 with RB Neal from Lawrence High and a DE from Texas, Garfield Lawrence.

Emmitt Jones has been the key guy on 2 of them and Dearmon has been the key guy on the other 2.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No Free State kids this year ranked.
ksu got a LOT of Kansas kids.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, which is fine. But as CnB and I stated, maybe 1-2 Kansas kids turn out to be viable P5 players. You'd prefer to still get a lot of them, but it seems like Miles and Co go for 1 or 2 of the best kids and recruit them the heaviest and then they work towards different areas to where the staff feels most comfortable.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And I'm not concerned on missing out on guys like Tysyn Hartman, Alex Barnes, Alex Delton, etc. Those are easily replaceable from other states and spending a lot of energy in small western KS HS football just isn't worth the squeeze.

The only ones that kind of sting are the Cody Whitehairs and Scott Frantzes of the world.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Kansas State does historically have a great relationship with KS Jucos, which are stocked with NFL talent especially compared to Kansas high schools.

But, I think we all agreed that that is not the route to take right now.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:06 pm Kansas State does historically have a great relationship with KS Jucos, which are stocked with NFL talent especially compared to Kansas high schools.

But, I think we all agreed that that is not the route to take right now.
Correct. And I'm giving Les and staff some serious credit. They are not breaking from their plan regardless of on field results. They are sticking to their guns of getting high school kids only to come to Lawrence. It's how you build a program. And this program was in such shamble for so long, it's a long fucking process.

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Interesting that Devin Neal hasn't signed his LOI yet?

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Se ... l/Commits/

Class currently ranked # 55 by 247. That's fantastic work
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Oops, nevermind. Looks like Neal did sign his LOI about 30 min ago. Website just not updated yet.