Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:34 pm At this point, players shouldn't have to go to class, nor live on/near campus.

You could even rebuild a new, bigger arena away from the congestion of the university. There aren't enough chair backs at that old barn. The concession set up is severely lacking. And where are the box seats? Kansas City has a larger market.

While you are at it, Kansas Jayhawks? Is anyone really tied to that? The name is actually kind of cringy, as it relates to murder and assault. I don't know who this Phog guy is but I hear he was important. And we can also pay tribute to the important people besides the players and coaches that make this happen - you know, some sentimental bullshit. Introducing your KC Phogushers.

Finally, free and fair market, not coming on the backs of those poor athletes, and premiere parking for my XC90.
They've always been able to do many of those things. They just don't because it's not what people want.

Like I said earlier, NIL is not allowed to be tied to committing to a certain school. Enforce the rules.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:48 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:43 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:16 pm

I read the All Big 12 academic First Team winners last week and they had each winner's major listed. Every player that made it from Oklahoma State had a major of: "University Studies."
Anyone know the difference/s between "University Studies" and "Communication Studies"?

35-40 years ago an athlete at KU didn't "have to" attend classes.
Do they now?
COMS is a real department with undergraduate and graduate degrees. "University Studies" sounds like what KU would call "undeclared."

Class attendance is usually set by the professor and/or department. Otherwise, no student, athlete or not, "has to" attend classes. Being in New Orleans for the Final Four would be an excused absence.
Thank you for your response!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

OSU's University Studies bachelors degree is simply a make-up-your-own-major program.
Google to the rescue: http://catalog.okstate.edu/degree-progr ... udies-bus/
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

worthless degrees are not limited to the scholarship athletes.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

University Studies is probably not a worthless degree if it is completed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

i.e. the freeloaders still living in dc's basement because they majored in fine arts
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:16 pm Money is the main reason Bill Self coaches at Kansas.
So why did he turn down an offer of a LOT more money to go to OSU?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:08 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:16 pm Money is the main reason Bill Self coaches at Kansas.
So why did he turn down an offer of a LOT more money to go to OSU?
I suppose the same reason a player might choose to play at KU even if the NIL opportunity somewhere else was for more money?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:14 pm

It has never made sense that Professional Athletics isn’t a full-blown major at Power 5 schools. What REALLY makes a joke of academics (in the context of college athletics) is the prevalence of degree-mill majors, where the whole thing is a known farce.
I read the All Big 12 academic First Team winners last week and they had each winner's major listed. Every player that made it from Oklahoma State had a major of: "University Studies."
Anyone know the difference/s between "University Studies" and "Communication Studies"?

Do they now?
I showed up for my college algebra final and thought I was in the wrong location because there were so many people there I didn't recognize. I was walking away when the teacher walked up and then I realized it was just a bunch of students who never came to class.

"Not attending classes" is not unique to athletes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:34 pm At this point, players shouldn't have to go to class, nor live on/near campus.

You could even rebuild a new, bigger arena away from the congestion of the university. There aren't enough chair backs at that old barn. The concession set up is severely lacking. And where are the box seats? Kansas City has a larger market.

While you are at it, Kansas Jayhawks? Is anyone really tied to that? The name is actually kind of cringy, as it relates to murder and assault. I don't know who this Phog guy is but I hear he was important. And we can also pay tribute to the important people besides the players and coaches that make this happen - you know, some sentimental bullshit. Introducing your KC Phogushers.

Finally, free and fair market, not coming on the backs of those poor athletes, and premiere parking for my XC90.
Slippery slope, weeeeee!!!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:11 pm

Do they now?
I showed up for my college algebra final and thought I was in the wrong location because there were so many people there I didn't recognize. I was walking away when the teacher walked up and then I realized it was just a bunch of students who never came to class.

well they probably didn't show up because Algebra is usually something you learn in like 6th and 7th grade......

I kid I kid

kinda.....college algebra?
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:27 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:11 pm

Do they now?

well they probably didn't show up because Algebra is usually something you learn in like 6th and 7th grade......

I kid I kid

kinda.....college algebra?
Why would I take a harder math class when I had no interest in getting a math degree? I took that easy A and spent the extra time studying the classes that I actually cared about.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Not transfer portal, but wasn't going to make another thread, and it goes with some of our talk earlier...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ligibility
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Nigel Pack will make $400,000 over the next 2 years at Miami & Oscar Tshiebwe will supposedly make around $2 mill in NIL money next season; I don't see how the NCAA can punish KU for anything at this point.

Also, college sports is FUCKED.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

well now we know why Nijel went to Miami.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ISU fans are claiming that Hunter is insisting on a huge NIL deal wherever he ends up but none of them have any actual proof that this demand exists. I assume that it is just spurned ex-girlfriend caliber hurt feelings but has anyone heard anything about Hunter looking for a big NIL package as part of his transfer?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just taking a look at Hunter's top 6 schools, I absolutely think NIL is on his mind in some capacity.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

of course he is....it isn't the transfer portal anymore its a free agency signing period.

and its dumb
Just Ledoux it