Ugh.
MICHHAWK

Re: 2024

Post by MICHHAWK »

don't jaywalk. problem solved.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

obviously this doomsday scenario that the demonrats are propagandaizing will never happen. they are just using it to scare up votes.

if you are in this country legally. you got nothing to worry about.

fake news.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

white privilege at its finest

mich, do you ever think “maybe i shouldn’t post this”?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:19 am follow the rules privilege at its finest
fyp
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:06 am SIMPLIFYING things....Why is it considered "unreasonable search and seizure" to ask for proof of citizenship?
Bad analogy but what happens if I leave the country, fly back to the USA, am at INS/customs and immigration and they ask me for my passport, and I tell them to get fucked - (because of the 4th Amendment?).

[...]

I think the entire claim by Trump is absolute insanity and could/would never happen but.... If there is/was a will, and Trump has/had the full support of Congress (I see no way possible but....) AND the Supreme Court, AND the US Military, AND.... it could/would potentially (but highly doubtfully) at least create a really interesting situation.
The short answer is that where the "unreasonable" line is drawn has evolved over time.

VERY GENERALLY SPEAKING, because of the enormous relative power of the state* as compared with the individual, the rule is that law enforcement cannot search a person or their property without a warrant or probable cause. There are all sorts of exceptions to the general illegality of warrantless searches.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitutio ... equirement

The short answer to your specific question is that the rules are somewhat different when dealing with border matters. Things get highly fuzzy when you start to apply "border" principles within the country.

And it is into that fuzziness that our activist right-wing courts - specifically our activist right-wing Supreme Court - are itchy to step.

* It should not be lost on ANYONE that what we're talking about doing here is hilariously inconsistent with the traditional conservative preference of minimizing the power of the state over individuals. What we are seeing is nothing like "conservatism," but instead authoritarianism.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:16 am obviously this doomsday scenario that the demonrats are propagandaizing will never happen. they are just using it to scare up votes.

if you are in this country legally. you got nothing to worry about.

fake news.
Ok, so let's put an armed military checkpoint in between you and everywhere you and the folks specifically want or need to go. Let's make you stop and show your passport every time you want to get a crunchwrap, or go to the mall, or see your grandkids. Every time you need to get to work or a doctor's appointment or church.

Would you be ok with that?

The answer is, fuck and no you would not be. And nor should you be.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you may or may not be surprised. just how carefree life is. if you follow the rules and the laws.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:44 am you may or may not be surprised. just how carefree life is. if you follow the rules and the laws.
Answer the question.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you are a long ways from reality.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:46 am you are a long ways from reality.
I'm going to take this as your (correct) response, that no you would not be ok with having to prove your non-violation of the law whenever the government decides you should have to.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you should take it as "i think you are a fruitcake."

that's how you should take it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:49 am you should take it as "i think you are a fruitcake."

You know what I'm NOT taking it as?

"Yes, I would be ok with having to show my passport at whatever time at whatever place and for whatever reason the government decides I should have to."
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:54 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:49 am you should take it as "i think you are a fruitcake."

You know what I'm NOT taking it as?

"Yes, I would be ok with having to show my passport at whatever time at whatever place and for whatever reason the government decides I should have to."
Driving across southern Texas a couple of years ago with my daughters on our way to White Sands. The interstate is blocked and everyone gets off to go through a checkpoint. I roll down my window. "Wuts up dudes?" They look in the car and ask if we are US citizens. "Yup, we are amigo." He waves us through. My daughters say, "that was weird". My response, "yep, but imagine how much weirder it would have been if we weren't lilly white."

It's easy to say this isn't a big deal when it isn't a big deal for you personally.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it should be easy for a law abiding American in America.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:37 am it should be easy for a law abiding American in America.
You're goddamn right it should be.

So why (hang on) do (stand by) I (seriously, last time) need (again?) to (would you please ask Agent Gray, she still has my passport) keep (my tax returns also?) getting (I have no idea why that ticket is still on my record) stopped (yes these are my grandkids but no I don't have their IDs)?

I'm just going to goddamn Taco Bell here, guys.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:37 am it should be easy for a law abiding American in America.
I agree.

You know what is easy for a NON-law abiding American in America? Buying (obtaining) an assault weapon to use to kill law abiding Americans in America.
Almost as easy as it is for a kid to go to school and leave in a body bag because of it.
But hey, Donald says Kammy and Timmie are coming to take my guns away so I can't protect myself from "the illegals" who are buying food at a store in rural Michigan using $50 bills.
Yet, here were are today, and these are the things Americans are going to the voting booths to vote on. USA! USA! USA! 2024!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

take everybody's guns. you'll get no argument from me.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:10 am take everybody's guns. you'll get no argument from me.
You say that now but wait until the $50 bill users and the pet eaters start coming to your town. You will change your tune really quick.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Can you indict reality for election interference? Asking for an orange friend.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:44 am you may or may not be surprised. just how carefree life is. if you follow the rules and the laws.
Someone must have traduced Mich K, for one fine morning, he was arrested.