Violence

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: Violence

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:29 am You don't know anything about my background and my experience.
And because you live where ever you are means you can comfortably label an entire group of voters as people who were mad a black president was voted in.
I think a number of you need to try very hard to think objectively in order for a chance at making this work - or you don't care in compromise or unity at all.

It won't get any better pointing and laughing at people who didn't vote for Biden.
Or totally disregarding their concerns.
If you don't care, fine, but don't be so alarmed with violence and anger growing from both sides ( yes, gasp, both ).

A note, I of course voted Biden.
But even saying the things above tends to cause such an uproar out of certain people - a number of them on this bored.
It's hypocritical imo - take it or leave it.

pdub out.
Couldn't agree more.

Democrats need to stop calling everyone who disagrees with them racists. It's bad politics, and it's bad policy. It causes real harm to combating actual racism.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:38 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:28 pm https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/unco ... 00980.html

I mean, this further proves my point a bit, I think.

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/e ... a=AMP+HTML
How does Iowa have both whites and PoC blue? Makes me question the numbers behind it.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:09 am
pdub wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:29 am You don't know anything about my background and my experience.
And because you live where ever you are means you can comfortably label an entire group of voters as people who were mad a black president was voted in.
I think a number of you need to try very hard to think objectively in order for a chance at making this work - or you don't care in compromise or unity at all.

It won't get any better pointing and laughing at people who didn't vote for Biden.
If you don't care, fine, but don't be so alarmed with violence and anger growing from both sides ( yes, gasp, both ).

But even saying the things above tends to cause such an uproar out of certain people - a number of them on this bored.

pdub out.
Couldn't agree more.

Democrats need to stop calling everyone who disagrees with them racists. It's bad politics, and it's bad policy. It causes real harm to combating actual racism.

But that’s not what’s happening here.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

my parents always taught me that i’d be judged by those i associate with
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DC tried to make this argument too.

The problem in Merica isn’t the racism, so much as it is the pc babies who call out the racists. Right.

That’s not too far off from arguing that the problem wasn’t that cops kneeled on George Floyd’s neck for 9 minutes as he cried “I can’t breathe,” but simply that someone took cell phone video of it happening.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:18 am DC tried to make this argument too.

The problem in Merica isn’t the racism, so much as it is the pc babies who call out the racists. Right.

That’s not too far off from arguing that the problem wasn’t that cops kneeled on George Floyd’s neck for 9 minutes as he cried “I can’t breathe,” but simply that someone took cell phone video of it happening.
Absolutely. We have our own concern trolls here shifting the argument. Honestly, we are two weeks out from a white power insurrection angered that black votes counted. If anything, we need to keep shining the light on enablers of racism. It isn’t about taking things away. It has always been about equal justice and opportunity. Racism is selfishness operationalized.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

What are these dipshits out in Portland doing?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/anti-biden-a ... and-police
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub out.
Couldn't agree more.

Then Republicans need to stop voting for politicians that produce racist policies. We'll stop calling out racism when it goes away.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:15 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:38 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:28 pm https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/unco ... 00980.html

I mean, this further proves my point a bit, I think.

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/e ... a=AMP+HTML
How does Iowa have both whites and PoC blue? Makes me question the numbers behind it.
More white women than white men.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:28 am

pdub out.
Couldn't agree more.

But that’s not what’s happening here.
Forcing someone to account for their support of things that are inherently racist is simply not the same thing as calling them racist.

(Sigh.)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it shouldn’t be difficult to not be accused of racism.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:04 am What are these dipshits out in Portland doing?

Clown town
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

portland being portland.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:34 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:04 am What are these dipshits out in Portland doing?

Clown town
You'd know more about that specific situation than I do.

But, on a more general level, I think we can absolutely, 100% expect the MAGAs to stir shit up under antifa flags.

Remember, accusing people of doing exactly what you're planning on doing is right down the fairway for them.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:18 am DC tried to make this argument too.

No. I didn't say racism isn't a problem. But calling everyone racist exacerbates the problem.

To your analogy, it's more like if someone was taking a video of a cop getting attacked by a dude with a weapon, and the cop shoots him, and everyone starts calling that cop a murderer. And this happens so frequently that nobody really notices when a George Floyd situation happens.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:08 am
If Biden won whites overall and PoC overall in Iowa, how did he lose Iowa? Gender has nothing to do with it.

Whites = a
PoC = b
All voters = c

a + b = c

If Biden won a and b, there's no way he could lose c
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

how does calling everyone racist exacerbate the problem? I really don’t think anyone’s accusing anyone of racism, unless they’re either being racist or being ok with racism.

Again, it shouldn’t be difficult to not be accused of racism.

Cuz one could just respond with something like, “I didn’t mean to be racist, and in the spirit of that, now that you’ve pointed it out I’ll try to consider this from other perspectives going forward.” Wouldn’t that be an acceptable not-racist approach?

But instead it’s “I’m ain’t the problem, y’all are the problem!” And rather than try for any perspective, or any humility, they think the appropriate thing to do is to double down on the side with the deplorables, even tho that’s not who they claim they are?

You’re basically arguing that even if you don’t think you’re racist, it’s better to be tacit toward racism than it is to make any effort to distance from it?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“Hey don’t lump me in with the actual white supremacists just cuz I was storming the Capitol alongside them, it’s not like I was wearing a nazi shirt too, that was just some other guys I was with!”
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:08 am

If Biden won whites overall and PoC overall in Iowa, how did he lose Iowa? Gender has nothing to do with it.

Whites = a
PoC = b
All voters = c

a + b = c

If Biden won a and b, there's no way he could lose c
Biden wasn’t in the 2016 election
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

To be fair Trad, you didn't really clarify that was the 2016 election.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG