Ugh.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:57 am
Overlander wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:52 am
JKLivin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:35 am Barring another stolen election, Trump will win. Deal with it. And prepare for a much better country.
Nobody is stealing elections.
I mean, his side tried and came damn close. Which is why his side changed its VP.
That wasn't trying to steal an election. That was trying to overthrow a legitimate election result. He should be rotting in prison.
“By way of contrast, I'm not the one who feels the need to respond to every post someone else makes”
Psych- Every Single Time
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I will say it here, for the record.
If Trump wins, I will not suggest an election was stolen.

It will just prove to me that the ignorant outnumber the non-ignorant.
“By way of contrast, I'm not the one who feels the need to respond to every post someone else makes”
Psych- Every Single Time
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:00 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:57 am
Overlander wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:52 am

Nobody is stealing elections.
I mean, his side tried and came damn close. Which is why his side changed its VP.
That wasn't trying to steal an election. That was trying to overthrow a legitimate election result. He should be rotting in prison.
Seems distinction-without-a-difference-y to me.

What is "stealing" an election, if not (i) taking for yourself something the voters legitimately voted to give someone else, and (ii) taking for yourself something that was legitimately won by someone else?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:35 am Barring another stolen election, Trump will win. Deal with it. And prepare for a much better country.
liars gonna lie

good job
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:17 pm
liars gonna lie

good job
At which point in this process does the "running over" start?
Psych- Every Single Time
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

it never starts....

Nero is an angler in the lake of darkness
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

liars gonna lie

good job
Denial. It only works if you stick with it no matter what.
“You know what that makes me? It makes me a Comanche."
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Overlander wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:43 pm
liars gonna lie

good job
November 6th. Don’t worry - I’ll remind you.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Polls have Harris ahead in WI, PA, MI and NV but behind in AZ, GA and NC.
If that holds and nothing else swings, it will be close, but that would give the Democrats the votes they need.

NV is very close but so is NC.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:43 pm

liars gonna lie

good job
I wasn't talking to you.

But, it is good see you stick to your ethos of not needing to respond to EVERY SINGLE POST.
Psych- Every Single Time
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Overlander wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:57 pm
JKLivin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:43 pm

I wasn't talking to you.

But, it is good see you stick to your ethos of not needing to respond to EVERY SINGLE POST.
It never stops you from spamming my posts. Glad to return the favor, albeit to a FRACTION of the nuggets of wisdom you post daily.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:56 pm Polls have Harris ahead in WI, PA, MI and NV but behind in AZ, GA and NC.
If that holds and nothing else swings, it will be close, but that would give the Democrats the votes they need.

Harris is dropping by the day. Every time she opens her mouth, voters switch. I’m going to thoroughly enjoy the meltdown around here on the evening of the 5th and immediately after.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:05 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:56 pm Polls have Harris ahead in WI, PA, MI and NV but behind in AZ, GA and NC.

Harris is dropping by the day.
This is actually not true.
Her numbers have increased not decreased.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Overlander wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:01 pm I will say it here, for the record.

Why not? Hillary did it. "Not my president" was the dems slogan back in 2016. Same thing happened when George Bush won both times
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:18 pm

Why not? Hillary did it. "Not my president" was the dems slogan back in 2016. Same thing happened when George Bush won both times
If you mean George W Bush, the 2000 election was much much much much MUCH closer to an actual steal than whatever you morans think 2020 was.

The election came down to less than 1000 votes in a state where the eventual President's brother denied a recount - Bush took the presidency 271 to 266.

There was a recount in Georgia in 2020 and each time Biden won by at least 10 times that.
It wasn't even close in the end - Biden won 302 to 232.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:39 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:18 pm

If you mean George W Bush, the 2000 election was much much much much MUCH closer to an actual steal than whatever you morans think 2020 was.

The election came down to less than 1000 votes in a state where the eventual President's brother denied a recount.

There was a recount in Georgia in 2020 and each time Biden won by at least 10 times that.
Roberts
Alito
Gorsuch
Kavanaugh
Barrett
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Playing to Win

https://www.thebulwark.com/p/harris-goe ... -sticks-to
Until now, Kamala Harris’s campaign has executed a smooth, hit-for-average strategy that has largely avoided big risks. Now, with three weeks to go, she’s swinging for the fences.

Tomorrow, Harris will be on Fox News in prime time, meeting with anchor Bret Baier for her first ever sit-down interview on the network. Meanwhile, Reuters reports that Harris is considering an appearance with Joe Rogan, the credulous alt-center goofball who happens to host the most popular podcast in the United States.

This is, as Harris’s current boss might say, a big fucking deal.

There’s major risk here, particularly given how close we are to the election. If Harris had kicked off her campaign following what we might call the Pete Buttigieg strategy—going into hostile territory right off the bat—she’d have had plenty of time by now to put any hiccups or miscues far behind her. Instead, she’s doing a new high-wire act as voters are already starting to put their ballots in the mail.

It’s a tacit acknowledgement from her team that the status-quo media strategy wasn’t going to seal the deal. A month ago, riding a huge wave of momentum, it made sense for Harris to stay away from possible high-variance, trajectory-altering events. If her trend line were still pointing up, they’d be sticking to that strategy.

Instead, with her polling plateauing, Harris is on the hunt for a few more pockets of possibly persuadable voters to get her over the finish line.

In sparring with Baier, Harris will need to show an agility under fire she hasn’t frequently needed in this contest. Even in her debate with Trump himself, Harris mostly won by throwing a hundred rhetorical sticks for Trump to chase. Baier will be much more disciplined and dogged in his questioning.

Nevertheless, the upside is there. Harris doesn’t necessarily need to dominate the interview to win. All she needs to do is to puncture the ridiculous caricature of her abilities that Trump and conservative media continue to build up.

Here, for instance, was Trump just yesterday on Truth Social: “I believe it is very important that Kamala Harris pass a test on Cognitive Stamina and Agility. Her actions have led many to believe that there could be something very wrong with her . . . Also, she is slow and lethargic in answering even the easiest of questions.”

It’s not hard to imagine her clearing that extremely low bar—though we eagerly await the siren emoji tweets from MAGAville explaining how this or that verbal hiccup surely is the nail in the coffin for her campaign.

As interesting as Harris’s gamble is, the more remarkable media strategy may be playing out on the other side of the ledger. In recent weeks, Trump has almost exclusively decamped to outlets that are already in his tank. Since the September 10 presidential debate, with the exceptions of a Las Vegas ABC affiliate and a quick NewsNation hit, nearly all of Trump’s 14 one-one interviews have been with interviewers ranging from friendly to sycophantic:

* Fox News hosts Maria Bartiromo, Laura Ingraham, Brian Kilmeade, Sean Hannity, and Greg Gutfield.

* Chris Salcedo, Carl Higbie, and Rob Schmitt of NewsMax.
Sinclair’s Sharyl Attkisson.

* Conservative radio host Dave Ramsey.

* Wayne Allyn Root of Real America’s Voice.

* Andrew Schultz and Akaash Singh of the comedy podcast Flagrant.

Over the same period, he’s totally eschewed tentpole mainstream outlets—making a point of skipping, for instance, the traditional interview with CBS’s 60 Minutes.

Trump still talks with the press and takes questions at events, including (likely) today when Bloomberg News is hosting his speech at the Chicago Economic Club. But when it comes to one-on-one interviews, he’s never been more cloistered within his MAGA media bubble.

It’s enough to make you wonder if—in the wake of his terrible performance against Harris last month—Trump’s developed a bit of a case of the yips. All the harder interviews he leaves to his understudy, JD Vance, while he retreats into the warm bath of the affection of his core supporters.

The Pennsylvania town hall Trump did last night with South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem was a striking example of this. After a few minutes of questions interrupted by several medical episodes in the crowd—the heat in the room was reportedly oppressive—Trump spontaneously decided to take things in a different direction. “Let’s not do any more questions,” he said from the stage. “Let’s just listen to music. Who the hell wants to hear questions?” For the next half hour, he and his crowd bopped around awkwardly to a selection of Trump’s favorite tunes, from a Pavarotti rendition of “Ave Maria” to “It’s a Man’s World” to “YMCA.”

There’s little downside to this, I guess? “Bizarro MC and horrible DJ” are far, far down the list of reasons to dislike Donald Trump. (Though not quite as far down the list as I would have said before having the unpleasant experience of Guns N’ Roses’ “November Rain” segue into “Memory” from Cats before my disbelieving ears.)

But with three weeks to go in a tied contest, which strategy would you rather your candidate have? The one indulging himself with sycophant-pleasing frivolities? Or the one going through the couch cushions for every last reluctant voter she can find?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Same here. It's sad to see just how easily manipulated people are but people have been getting conned by religions and conmen for as long as people existed so I guess I shouldn't be as surprised as I am.