2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by holidaysmore »

Apparently Grunny Jr just committed. #WaveTheWheat

Some speculating but apparently guys (mostly transfers - that includes OL and QB prospects) that KU had already reached out to before and were given 'no's' are now coming back around to the idea of wearing the Crimson and Blue. #Run21
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If I understand correctly, Grunny Jr. has a handful of starts at center for ND and has 2 years left to play, has already graduated and will start KU's MBA program.

I don't want a lot of transfers coming in, but that is about as ideal as it gets for this roster and team right now.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah a 2 year transfer who played 3 years at ND is big. Even if he was just a backup center, he played often and they played good competition. He’ll start right away at C.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Now official. He’s at KU. Short stocky dude but will play right away and will be a nice piece.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

If anything he should bring a winning mentality and hopefully a nastiness that group has been lacking. Solid pick up.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

So one of the freshman, don't remember which, had an interesting post on twitter after this was announced. Something to the effect of brand new team, brand new attitude and brand new results.

It sounds like the old Beaty wave is gone and the Miles wave is just getting started. Now, they have to produce, but it seems like Miles is focused on bringing in people with an attitude and an appetite for winning.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And also of note before people comment on transfers out, a lot of the transfers that are leaving are guys that under a normal year, would be graduating, but instead they are leaving and actually helping KUs scholarship crunch in a way. Scholarship numbers are not increased even though it's been a free year, so a lot of tough decisions for the staff and I'm sure a lot of these transfers were a "We'll guide you and help you with wherever you decide to go"

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:29 pm So one of the freshman, don't remember which, had an interesting post on twitter after this was announced. Something to the effect of brand new team, brand new attitude and brand new results.

It sounds like the old Beaty wave is gone and the Miles wave is just getting started. Now, they have to produce, but it seems like Miles is focused on bringing in people with an attitude and an appetite for winning.
That was from Amauri Pesek-Hickson. Loved it. That is the type of mentality this program needs. Winners. Not losers.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Rumor is Dearmon is becoming OC at Middle Tennessee State. Like what..?

A worse job, a decrease in pay, and he’s gone from a P5. Maybe he just doesn’t like the big schools? Too many personalities..? He left Auburn to go small school. Maybe he’s doing the same...?

Just odd. Really odd.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The big thing that stuck out as an awkward fit was the deep religion thing.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

But, if it is an indication that the OC under Miles is too handcuffed, then the Miles era will end the way it started.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

It’s official that he is gone. Confirmed by Newell.

He did come with Chip Lindsey. And the 2 guys that came with Lindsey were Dearmon and Meadows are both gone.

Maybe we got too high on Dearmon because last year stunk. But I still think he can coach. But I wonder who Miles goes and gets.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Lindsey came from ASU, whose coach was fired, so don't see a strong connection with Dearmon, just happened to come at same time. I'd guess there's some personal situation with Dearmon going on.

Could see a promotion from within. No one wants this job. And it sucks, because it will technically be a 4th(?) OC in 3 seasons. Setbacks is the normal with this program.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:18 pm Lindsey came from ASU, whose coach was fired, so don't see a strong connection with Dearmon, just happened to come at same time. I'd guess there's some personal situation with Dearmon going on.

Could see a promotion from within. No one wants this job. And it sucks, because it will technically be a 4th(?) OC in 3 seasons. Setbacks is the normal with this program.
I thought Lindsey and Dearmon had the connection at Auburn and Malzahn. But maybe they didn’t cross paths.

I personally think Dearmon wants the smaller school. Just a weird thing. But he’s been at smaller schools longer than any big program. Aka you can get guys to buy in easier.

Go get some experienced coach who was an analyst or whatever on a staff this past year. Give them $700k and say here ya go. Trying to think of Miles has connections too that he was looking at.

And he probably came to KU and Miles and they let him walk too. Who knows what buyout was and Middle Tennessee is probably cash strapped to pay for it, but I bet it was a handsome buyout considering his fast rise and good salary. Did KU waive the buyout because they have someone willing to come.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Just looked. It’s a 500K buyout, I believe. That’s up there a bit considering he’s going to get paid maybe 200k a year..?

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I like the idea of Warriner. Not some kid that will give up control to Les.

Rumor mill saying Dearmon has a family situation.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah just heard that too regarding Dearmon. Really unfortunate.

But also heard Warriner is a serious option. Just left Michigan. I’d hire him in a heartbeat.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Go get Warriner or Herman and all is well.

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Bizarre but what are we really losing here?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Not having to hire a 4th OC in 3 years. That’s really the only thing.