Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by KUTradition »

i’ve heard a number of takes saying, this is what 50 years of oppression gets you

while i can understand where that sentiment is coming from, i think it dismisses (perhaps intentionally so?) the larger issue of not even respecting the mere existence of a people
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

This situation is another perfect example of why he have a 2nd amendment, including guns like ar15s. Invaders like hamas have them, so should the good people to better defend themselves with
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:58 am i’ve heard a number of takes saying, this is what 50 years of oppression gets you
But Hamas has only been in control since 2007...

https://www.timesofisrael.com/whats-lif ... testimony/
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:15 am This situation is another perfect example of why he have a 2nd amendment, including guns like ar15s. Invaders like hamas have them, so should the good people to better defend themselves with
You have told us in the past that "we he (sic) have a 2nd amendment" to protect us from our own tyrannical government. In that sense, I would not think that a foreign terrorist attack on a separate foreign nation (halfway around the world) isn't exactly illustrative of the purpose of our own second amendment.

(I would note also that we already have more than double the number of civilian firearms on a per capita basis than any other country of any material size. So to the extent your point has any merit at all, I'd suggest we're doing just fine.)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Israel Defense Minister Yoav Gallant:

“I have ordered a complete siege on the Gaza Strip. There will be no electricity, no food, no fuel, everything is closed. We are fighting human animals and we act accordingly."

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_ ... d-or-fuel/

(Here’s your friendly reminder that roughly half the population of the Gaza Strip are children.)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:38 am Israel Defense Minister Yoav Gallant:

“I have ordered a complete siege on the Gaza Strip. There will be no electricity, no food, no fuel, everything is closed. We are fighting human animals and we act accordingly."

(Here’s your friendly reminder that roughly half the population of the Gaza Strip are children.)
Horrible.

There are only bad answers here. Horrors will result from this siege. Horrors would (or will) result from this becoming a broader regional (or worse) conflict.

I think, for a great many reasons, a great many people will want to compare this to Ukraine. I think, for a great many reasons, it's apples and hand grenades. There are parallels - and perhaps overlap in the players - but I don't think there is a like-for-like comparison to be made at any level below the things-go-boom surface level.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:10 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:09 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:06 pm You should learn to write in English.
You should stop cruising around looking for someone to insult.
I can't help what you write. If you'd rather not be misinterpreted, then write more clearly.

That's not an insult. That's advice.
The king of vague posts lectures on writing more clearly. How rich.

I get that this topic is very sensitive and has people on edge but try "oh, sorry, I thought you meant something else." It's less argumentative and means the same thing.

That's what advice actually looks like when it's not intended to be an insult.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:46 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:10 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:09 pm
You should stop cruising around looking for someone to insult.
I can't help what you write. If you'd rather not be misinterpreted, then write more clearly.

That's not an insult. That's advice.
The king of vague posts lectures on writing more clearly. How rich.

I get that this topic is very sensitive and has people on edge but try "oh, sorry, I thought you meant something else." It's less argumentative and means the same thing.

That's what advice actually looks like when it's not intended to be an insult.
Settle down.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Another friendly reminder that roughly half the population of the Gaza Strip would like to emigrate to Turkey or Europe.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So why don’t they?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

-war is hell-
General Iron Guts Kelly
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:52 am So why don’t they?
Takes two to tango, man. Or, in this case, at least three.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:48 am

Another friendly reminder that roughly half the population of the Gaza Strip would like to emigrate to Turkey or Europe.
I mean, I would too.
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:53 am
there are lots of people in the US who would like to move to other places within the US that can do so freely without international borders, laws, visas, and citizenship questions that, just can't do it.

"why don't they then?" is a very shallow and callous answer. It is simply not feasible for large chunks of the population to uproot and move, across country much less internationally.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

The journey is a dangerous one, leaving would-be migrants vulnerable to further exploitation by black market smugglers. One mother recounted how her escape to Belgium with a daughter who has autism cost $11,000 in bribes. Others perish in the attempt. In 2014, nearly 400 Gazans drowned after smugglers rammed their boat as it attempted to flee to Europe. As one young man put it, “there isn’t anyone [here] who doesn’t know someone who’s migrated to Turkey to sell his organs to help his parents… Hamas glorifies itself as the resistance to the occupation, but they sit in their palaces with their Qatari passports while we pay the price.”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i thought q was gonna sit this one out

oh well
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:45 am

Horrible.

There are only bad answers here. Horrors will result from this siege. Horrors would (or will) result from this becoming a broader regional (or worse) conflict.

I think, for a great many reasons, a great many people will want to compare this to Ukraine. I think, for a great many reasons, it's apples and hand grenades. There are parallels - and perhaps overlap in the players - but I don't think there is a like-for-like comparison to be made at any level below the things-go-boom surface level.
Fill in the blank:

“I strongly condemn ____________'s oppression and occupation of ___________.

The people of ___________ have a right to self-determination, and to resist the attempted annexation by the _________.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:00 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:53 am
there are lots of people in the US who would like to move to other places within the US that can do so freely without international borders, laws, visas, and citizenship questions that, just can't do it.

"why don't they then?" is a very shallow and callous answer. It is simply not feasible for large chunks of the population to uproot and move, across country much less internationally.
It was a rhetorical question.

There’s also the whole thing about the Gaza Strip being managed like an open-air prison.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:08 pm i thought q was gonna sit this one out

oh well
depending on how you feel about that “50 years of oppression” take you posted, we might not be so at odds about this thread after all
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Q thinks people without passports in a non-country that is blockaded on two sides (one side being their fellow Arabs in Egypt) and who earn less than $5000 a year and are taxed oppressively, in addition to being forced to pay bribes and protection money, should just get up and leave.