Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by pdub »

Totally.

I think we should just get over this sham.

NCAA negotiates with the players union and the general managers of each college to set the salary of each team - they'll set the terms of the agreement for a period of time and renew it/get back to the table when that starts to expire.
Listen, now we get just great basketball, Sprite commercials, without the bullshit, like graduating and seniors. Gross, amiright?

Think about this, why even have four year restrictions?
These guys could play their entire careers at the KC Phogushers - just have them sign another contract.
And if we got concerned about imbalance, we could institute some sort of draft after the NCAA tourney.
BWW Chad would eat that shit up.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I think the early years of NIL will have boosters paying kids to transfer. That does kind of suck, but that will likely cool down considerably rather quickly. These rich dudes are not going to continually give away their money with zero return.
Last edited by Cascadia on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:26 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:08 am
ISU fans are claiming that Hunter is insisting on a huge NIL deal wherever he ends up but none of them have any actual proof that this demand exists. I assume that it is just spurned ex-girlfriend caliber hurt feelings but has anyone heard anything about Hunter looking for a big NIL package as part of his transfer?
That's against the rules. Sounds like an easy way to get caught because whatever schools you don't choose will be able to turn you in.

These deals aren't like adidas/nike bag men handing over cash in the shadows. There are contracts and paper trails for both parties involved in the NIL deals.

I am not naive enough to believe the school choices aren't tied to NIL opportunities being available, but I do not think they are negotiating ahead of time in that manner. Especially not the big $$$ NIL agreements. It wouldn't make sense for either party because it wouldn't be an enforceable contract at that point.
Did we not just see Nijel Pack's transfer destination announced by the company signing him to an $400k/year NIl deal?!? If that's not Pay to Play then nothing is.

All I was saying is that they are saying that he has made access to good NIL deals a requirement in his search.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

thats against the rules!!! that wouldn't happen. NIL is perfect. get on board or you're a piece of shit.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:17 am the moral to the story is...don't get attached to the name on the back of the jersey.
College has always been that way. They stayed a max of 4 seasons before and then the next crop came in.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:08 am I thinks its high Larry ious that the same people saying "this always happened, the rules were always broken" are the same ones now saying "well no, NIL doesn't work like that, thats against the rules, thats not happening. Nope, thats not legal or allowed"
Yes.
It is.

And additionally, the people saying, well, NIL is gonna be like 50k, it's going to be a drop in the bucket, just kids and local commercials, while those in opposition were saying, uh, no, it's going to be a funnel for boosters - and now that it's a funnel for boosters, they're like, hey, this is gonna pass, sure we need some sort of restrictions, but soon it's just gonna be the fabric of college basketball.

And then when college players get signed multi year contracts? And don't have to go to class? Can we get a comment on that so we can revisit in five years?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:08 am Totally.

NCAA negotiates with the players union and the general managers of each college to set the salary of each team - they'll set the terms of the agreement for a period of time and renew it/get back to the table when that starts to expire.
Listen, now we get just great basketball, Sprite commercials, without the bullshit, like graduating and seniors. Gross, amiright?

These guys could play their entire careers at the KC Phogushers - just have them sign another contract.
And if we got concerned about imbalance, we could institute some sort of draft after the NCAA tourney.
It's not gross, it's just dumb and unrealistic.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:14 am the kids services are now open to the highest bidder.
The kids services have always been open to the highest bidder.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno how some of you guys were even able to enjoy this year’s championship run knowing Mitch gets free nuggets at the Raisin’ Canes.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

In 5 years, if KU signs a HS Freshman to a 7 year $13M contract, I’m fine with that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We've been at this for a year, discussing for many more, and there are people that still have no clue what NIL is.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:12 am

Why?
It doesn't have to be the NCAA anyways.
Form a group of 64 colleges, a super college league, and let the players form a union to negotiate with the owners of the league.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:13 am I dunno how some of you guys were even able to enjoy this year’s championship run knowing Mitch gets free nuggets at the Raisin’ Canes.
Totally ruined the moment for me. I can't watch anymore knowing this young black dude got a couple of bucks.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:14 am We've been at this for a year, discussing for many more, and there are people that still have no clue what NIL is.
you being one of them.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:09 am Just taking a look at Hunter's top 6 schools, I absolutely think NIL is on his mind in some capacity.
If NIL didn't exist and he had that same list then it would be nothing more than a list of elite programs that have a need for a really good PG.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:14 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:12 am

Why?
It doesn't have to be the NCAA anyways.
Form a group of 64 colleges, a super college league, and let the players form a union to negotiate with the owners of the league.
Easy peasy.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:15 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:14 am We've been at this for a year, discussing for many more, and there are people that still have no clue what NIL is.
you being one of them.
Oh is this where you make a bold statement about a show cause order and then have to ask everyone what that even is?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NO clue.

Pack signs a NIL deal with LifeWallet worth 800k with the University of Miami.
LifeWallet is a Miami startup in the health-tech space owned by Norberto Menendez who went to the University of Miami.
Huh. Must be a coincidence.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:17 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:09 am Just taking a look at Hunter's top 6 schools, I absolutely think NIL is on his mind in some capacity.
If NIL didn't exist and he had that same list then it would be nothing more than a list of elite programs that have a need for a really good PG.
Definitely some truth to that, but most of those programs are also big brands. Plus, the context here is today.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:19 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:17 am
Definitely some truth to that, but most of those programs are also big brands. Plus, the context here is today.
No one was leaving the school where they were Big 12 Freshman of the Year to go to a smaller brand school. I am sure that given Hunter's background that he would be thrilled to get a good NIL deal but maybe his top priority is to go to a good program that will win and that doesn't suck ass at offense like Iowa State does so that he can build an NBA-worthy skill set and show he can run a good offense.

It's just annoying that that Doom and Gloom slippery slope loons are screaming about NIL with everything when it is probably far less on the priority list than #1 for the vast majority of these transfers.
Last edited by twocoach on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:27 am, edited 4 times in total.