Top 3 in your city

Coffee talk.
DeletedUser

Re: Top 3 in your city

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:23 am Also I like both Hellman's and Duke's but prefer Hellman's.
Same
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:22 am Them's some good lookin'maters.
Pickle bucket garden ftw!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Our 'maters look the best they have been in a couple years - some longer hotter days I think have helped - last season it rained for something like 30 out of 40 days in June/early July - but our 'maters aren't ripe until mid to late August here.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

70-88 or so is ideal. We get so many hot hit days here that one can almost hear the plants crying for help. But this spring was great, and although we’ve been Kansas hot much of July, we got a good head start.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Also: I’m a novice gardener. How do you keep your plants alive in the winter?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:54 am Also: I’m a novice gardener. How do you keep your plants alive in the winter?
gotta bring them inside or put them in a greenhouse
Just Ledoux it
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Yeah, that was the obvious answer. Didn’t know if there was some
Other voodoo I didn’t know about
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I mean, you can cover them and/or use smudge pots but that's not real efficient
Just Ledoux it
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:58 am I mean, you can cover them and/or use smudge pots but that's not real efficient
Hmmm.

I think I’ll just plant starters next year. That process is fun for me in and of itself. I haven’t done directly from seed myself, although I don’t think that would actually be difficult at all.

Things to ponder! Just know I’ve been enjoying the utilization of my San Marzano’s greatly thus far!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:04 am I haven’t done directly from seed myself, although I don’t think that would actually be difficult at all.
Seed is harder than starters imo.
We have had plants from both starter AND seed ill-produce or flat out fail despite our efforts but moreso with seed.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I start tomatoes from seeds for many reasons. Let's see, super cheap, fun when you are itching to grow and it is still too cold out, VARAIETIES you can't buy as plants, my starts are super appreciated by friends and neighbors, not overly fertilized, I can better control the hardening off. With a $2 packet of seeds, I can grow 25 plants that are a tastier variety than any nursery sells. Tomato seeds store really well, so last for years. The only special thing you need is something for heat as tomatoes do need warmth to germinate. I got a $15 heat mat many years ago that lives in the south window of the kitchen each spring.
The one slicer variety that I will always grow (and it is very hard to pick) is Black Krim. This is a common variety and it should be easy to find the seed. It is not super prolific, but the taste is great and everything else is very good.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

The best tomato I ever tasted was a Thorburn's Terracotta the first year I grew them. But I know that weather conditions and soil contribute mightily to taste. Those are ugly tomatoes, they do not get very big, but they taste great on a BTO (bacon, tomato, onion-white).
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

In an abundance of consideration for the intermittent fasters in our midst, would it be possible to restrict discussions of what sounds like delicious food to an 8-hour period every day?

tia.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:45 pm In an abundance of consideration for the intermittent fasters in our midst, would it be possible to restrict discussions of what sounds like delicious food to an 8-hour period every day?

tia.
After the stuffed crust Supreme arrived, I almost didn't post about it. Progress.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:16 pm
Shirley wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:45 pm In an abundance of consideration for the intermittent fasters in our midst, would it be possible to restrict discussions of what sounds like delicious food to an 8-hour period every day?

tia.
After the stuffed crust Supreme arrived, I almost didn't post about it. Progress.
Sparko, sometimes I fear you give too much!

Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

tia.

1. This morning’s bounty (of Roma’s)
2. My 18 year old kitty and KU pint glass for scale (and see Titans hat for my fan allegiance, as often stated :) ).
3. Yeah, her bed is on my table, and yeah my table is currently a mess. Or as Gutter might say, junk.
4. It’s just the raw materials Shirley :)
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

That's quite a harvest!

18 y/o, must be an indoor cat?
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

It’s not bad for everything being in buckets.

She’s indoor, but this summer, especially since her companion died, she MUST go outside a few times a day and drink from a water bowl outside. It’s supervised/unsupervised, but she mostly sticks to my patio, and will run between my house and the two neighbors, but never strays too far.

She eats bacon, tuna, chicken, cheese, whatever I am eating. I’ve kinda fostered a monster in this regard, similarly to having her bed (one of them) on my table. But I don’t care, she’s put in her time.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Hijacking or at least bringing the thread back to a top 3 in my city......

"Top 3" music events taking place within reasonable (under 3 miles) walking distance to me today.
In no particular order and personally - I don't have much interest in any of them......

1. Volleywood.
https://www.volleywoodchicago.com

2. George Strait with Chris Stapleton and Little Big Town
https://www.soldierfield.com/events/det ... rge-strait

3. Pitchfork Festival
https://pitchforkmusicfestival.com
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

George Strait with Stapleton would be fucking awesome.

Stapleton is one of the few artists I've seen thay sounds exactly live....I mean, exactly like he does on his records. He's terrific And George .....is the king.
Just Ledoux it