Royals

Other Sports.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Royals

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They also don’t have a ton on the books coming up.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yep saw that too. Probably the smart play ultimately. But will be up in 2021. No question.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:06 pm buried it in the salvy news:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 66469?s=20
What are the odds he gets called up before September? Has to be like 80%, right?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

vega wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:42 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:38 pm Salvy 4 year deal. Team option. Average of 20.5M per year.
Yikes, why? Really high for an aging catcher. I love Salvy, and he got screwed on his earlier contract, but extending him four years at $20mm+ per seems like a bad move.
I suppose I don't care so long as it doesn't affect whatever else you need/want to do, but yeah.

For the deal to work out for the Royals, one of two unlikely things needs to happen: (1) he stays at catcher, and remains a league-average hitter (for all positions), or (2) he moves off catcher and, unburdened of catching, he becomes a better-than-league-average hitter for a 1B/DH.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I for one am looking at the deal as fair. He was the best at his position during the flag runs and was not making anywhere near what a lot of average players did. It is good to compensate him now at least. There are a lot of generationally wealthy injured and disappointing pitchers especially.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think it's fair market value if Salvy plays 130-140 games/year at catcher.

I also agree and can't help but think his last contract played into a little.

But, I'm just not really worried about it with the new ownership group.
Deleted User 865

You shouldn't pay a player for past service tho. You pay a top salary on likely his last big contract because you think he will be a top 3 catcher until 2025. I don't think most of us can reasonably expect that type of production, especially since mid- to late-30s are usually not kind for a catcher's body. And Salvy has put so many innings on those knees already, and is a bear of a body.

(this was to Sparko, CnB snuck in)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it was an overpay.
Now the 3rd richest contract for a catcher in all of MLB.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

vega wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:24 am You shouldn't pay a player for past service tho. You pay a top salary on likely his last big contract because you think he will be a top 3 catcher until 2025. I don't think most of us can reasonably expect that type of production, especially since mid- to late-30s are usually not kind for a catcher's body. And Salvy has put so many innings on those knees already, and is a bear of a body.

But this contract doesn't cover his "mid- to late- 30s". Contract covers ages 32-35. That's early to mid 30s
Deleted User 865

Eh, 33 is mid-30s I was thinking he was 32 this season, so was thinking it would be 33-36. He's still a bear with some health issues.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:29 am
vega wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:24 am You shouldn't pay a player for past service tho. You pay a top salary on likely his last big contract because you think he will be a top 3 catcher until 2025. I don't think most of us can reasonably expect that type of production, especially since mid- to late-30s are usually not kind for a catcher's body. And Salvy has put so many innings on those knees already, and is a bear of a body.

But this contract doesn't cover his "mid- to late- 30s". Contract covers ages 32-35. That's early to mid 30s
He's got some city miles, man.
Deleted User 865

Back in the day when he just played winter ball for fun.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

He’ll retire a Royal and be an ambassador to the kids we want to see from Central and South America. I look at him as that guy who earns his money several ways. What a great player to emulate.
Deleted User 865

Opening Day next week. So ready for real baseball.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Our old friend Andy McCullough:
Unlike 2016, though, the Royals do not have major contract decisions looming. Danny Duffy will be the team’s highest-paid player in 2021 at $15.5 million. His deal expires after this season. Outside of Pérez, Kansas City has $29 million in salary commitments for 2022 and $9.25 million for 2023. The pitching prospects — Singer, Lynch, Lacy, Jackson Kowar and Kris Bubic — are all years away from arbitration. The latest extension with Pérez should not hamper Sherman from spending in the future. Better the catcher gets above-market value than the money burns a hole in the pocket of the owner.

The Royals did not have to do this. Pérez’s body could break down. His offensive production in 2020 might be a short-season mirage. Folks in Kansas City may wonder why the team decided to do this. Moore will know why. He thought it was the right decision for his organization and for his organization’s most decorated player.

“We all know why everybody has believed in you all these years,” Moore told Pérez on Sunday over Zoom. “Because you’ve earned it. People love being around you. They pull for you. It’s special that we get a chance to keep you here.”

So often these things go the other way. We lament Boston shipping Mookie Betts to Los Angeles, Cleveland parting ways with Francisco Lindor, the Rockies engaging in a protracted feud with Nolan Arenado before paying him to play elsewhere. Pérez does not reside on the same plane as those players. The Royals may be paying him more than any other team might. They could have been more efficient. They could have been more ruthless. Then again, they could have just kept him on that first contract. Would that have been the right thing to do?
https://theathletic.com/2467614/2021/03 ... he-royals/
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

That is the right take for sure
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Jimenez from CWS is likely out for the year.

Go win the division.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Would take a lot more than that to knock them out of the presumptive top spot...and the Twins would be the next in line.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:44 pm Would take a lot more than that to knock them out of the presumptive top spot...and the Twins would be the next in line.
Don't care Fish. Go win the division.