2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
PhDhawk

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by PhDhawk »

Yeah, what was MTSU thinking, "Hey we need a new OC. That recent up and comer who has since been exposed at Kansas is interested. Oh, but he's going to have to take unknown amounts of time off at unknown time points to take care of a dying relative."

"Perfect, let's hire him. And let's pay for his buy-out too."
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Here's my 3 guesses.

Emmitt Jones moves to OC. He's already earning $300K, more than Dearmon did and he was the passing game coordinator last year. Could slide right in and they not lose a beat, really. Would be more of a passing attack on offense because that is what he wants.

Ed Warinner comes here as OC/HCIW. I think that is the only way he comes to KU. With the assurance that he'll be the guy when Miles decides that he is done.

May pull what Oklahoma State did a few years ago and hire a D2 OC from an innovative and good offense and bring him in on a cheap salary and let the guy loose.. I think the guys name was Yurich..? Was a D2 OC for a couple of years and then went to Oklahoma State for like 6 years and then went to Ohio State and Texas and is now at Penn State as OC.

Like good coaches are out there, no matter the level. It's honestly true. There are so many good coaches at the D2 level that can easily be a really good P5 coach. I don't think KU should go this route, but it's interesting to say the least.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:16 pm Yeah, what was MTSU thinking, "Hey we need a new OC. That recent up and comer who has since been exposed at Kansas is interested. Oh, but he's going to have to take unknown amounts of time off at unknown time points to take care of a dying relative."

"Perfect, let's hire him. And let's pay for his buy-out too."
I'm not saying this line of thinking is wrong, but with how much everything has changed to online meetings and whatnot, it's more feasible than ever before.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:20 pm Here's my 3 guesses.

Emmitt Jones moves to OC. He's already earning $300K, more than Dearmon did and he was the passing game coordinator last year. Could slide right in and they not lose a beat, really. Would be more of a passing attack on offense because that is what he wants.
"not lose a beat"...can you say that about KU's offense. If there was a beat at all, we gotta change that rhythm anyway. But It think something like this is likely.

Ed Warinner comes here as OC/HCIW. I think that is the only way he comes to KU. With the assurance that he'll be the guy when Miles decides that he is done.
This seems like the best option...so we can be pretty sure it doesn't happen.

May pull what Oklahoma State did a few years ago and hire a D2 OC from an innovative and good offense and bring him in on a cheap salary and let the guy loose.. I think the guys name was Yurich..? Was a D2 OC for a couple of years and then went to Oklahoma State for like 6 years and then went to Ohio State and Texas and is now at Penn State as OC.
This seems out of character for Les...and if this is the route, I definitely don't see him "letting the guy loose"

Like good coaches are out there, no matter the level. It's honestly true. There are so many good coaches at the D2 level that can easily be a really good P5 coach. I don't think KU should go this route, but it's interesting to say the least.
I appreciate your optimism, as unfounded as it may be.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I wouldn't call it optimism right now. This is probably the lowest I've been right now on KU football. But that's not to say that I don't like the way that Miles is building up the program. Because it is the right way. The long way, but the right way.

But 4th hire in 3 years is problematic. No matter the circumstances of why the previous OCs left.

Regarding Warinner, he seems to have a big time soft spot for KU. He's ALWAYS interested when something comes up.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The issue with Warinner isn't his willingness to take the job, it's Miles willingness to hire him.

And regardless, Miles is gonna have to let someone loose or it's all pretty much a moot point.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:30 pm I wouldn't call it optimism right now. This is probably the lowest I've been right now on KU football. But that's not to say that I don't like the way that Miles is building up the program. Because it is the right way. The long way, but the right way.

But 4th hire in 3 years is problematic. No matter the circumstances of why the previous OCs left.

Regarding Warinner, he seems to have a big time soft spot for KU. He's ALWAYS interested when something comes up.
At what point does this mess prove out to be "the right way"?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:39 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:30 pm I wouldn't call it optimism right now. This is probably the lowest I've been right now on KU football. But that's not to say that I don't like the way that Miles is building up the program. Because it is the right way. The long way, but the right way.

December 2022
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

If they go Ed that means they are serious about winning. That also means Les won't be the biggest voice in the room. Ed, was a prick when he was here during the MM years. It takes balls to stand up to Les.

If they go Eargle we might as well kiss the Les era to bed. That is a move that they are clearly trusting Les to run this into program and I'm not sold he can.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:39 pm

At a certain point, it's about the talent on the field and not the coaches in the box. Yes coaches, call the plays, but the players execute them. KU is recruiting and playing 18-19 year olds. That is going to matter a lot in the next couple of years.

That's what I mean by the right way.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That point gets here sooner if we didn't have to introduce 1.3 new OC's on average each season.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:38 pm That point gets here sooner if we didn't have to introduce 1.3 new OC's on average each season.
Not lying.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

This.

It takes times to learn a system and become familiar with the tendencies of the OC especially at the collegiate level.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean. It’s pretty obvious he left because of family. Miles called it a tough decision. Dearmon said he was looking forward to being back home.

He was too far away from home. Who knows the situation is, but he wanted to be close to home.

That’s fine. This is Miles’ most important hire to date.

UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Wasn't Jalon Daniels originally committed to Middle Tennessee State? Then Dearmon convinced him to flip to Kansas?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Is it bad that I don’t really care that Dearmon left?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:07 pm Wasn't Jalon Daniels originally committed to Middle Tennessee State? Then Dearmon convinced him to flip to Kansas?
This made me laugh..

https://twitter.com/jifhawk/status/1354 ... 10657?s=21

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Take it for what it’s worth but there have been a handful of KU guys and commits who have recently followed Warinner on Twitter. Could that mean that he’s coming to Lawrence? Not sure, but definitely interesting.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I’m torn on Warinner. If he is still the same asshole he was when he was here does that translate well to 2021? Can he recruit? On the flip side some discipline and tough love never hurt. I bitched and complained last year that the offense they tried to run didn’t fit the pieces they had. If I remember correctly Warinner ran a pretty run heavy offense so again do the pieces fit for the schemes he wants to run?
A lot of unknowns but outside of taking a ‘flyer’ on someone like a Dearmon I’m guessing there probably aren’t that many great options that want to take a chance on what could be a career suicide move to come here.
Holidaysmore - 2005