COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:37 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:34 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:22 pm And if you are not relatively healthy maybe you should take steps to become that way
Go tune into a Trump rally on YouTube and tell me what percentage of people in the crowd are likely making good health decisions outside of vaccinations.
Trump himself lives on McDonalds and guzzles about 12 Diet Cokes a day. If he makes it to 2024 it will be a miracle.
Trump will probably be like that relative everyone has who seems to far outlive the expectation of their life decisions.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So there has been about a 99 percent survival rating all along. And the cdc reported that of the 1-2 percent of covid cases resulting in deaths. 94 percent of those deaths also had another medical condition listed as contributing to the cause of death
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And that doesn't even factor obesity. Basically covid has never really been a threat to healthy people at any point in this pandemic.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Like you said look at trumps health. He beat covid just fine. And no trump supporter in the world could try to pretend he's in good health
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:53 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:20 pm Another thing people are not factoring into these statistics is how horribly unhealthy Americans are to begin with. The average American diet is utter garbage. Why I never hear any officials promoting exercise and healthy eating is beyond me. Thats your best defense. Keeping your immune system strong. I'll say it again if you are relatively healthy covid poses little to no threat to you
Nope.

The vaccine is. Fact.
The vaccine is an unnecessary precaution. Your immune system is perfectly equipped. Thats like saying an umbrella is your best defense against rain indoors
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Like yes you are safer with vaccine but the odds barely change. You have a ridiculously good chance of being just fucking fine either way
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Healthy people can protect the vulnerable by getting vaccinated.

You continue to only focus on death as the only bad outcome. You continue to trivialize the lives of vulnerable people. You don't get asthma by choice, getting old isn't based on a lifestyle. You ignore mutation rates and their possible outcomes. You exaggerate the risk of the vaccine which is several orders of magnitude safer than the virus, while falsely claiming that SARS-Cov-2 is not dangerous. You ignore long term issues, covid long haulers, cognitive impairments, organ damage, loss of taste, loss of smell, surviving a respirator, gasping for air, being sick for weeks. You ignore rates of infection, unnecessary health care costs , overcrowded hospitals. And on and on and on.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:49 pm Like yes you are safer with vaccine but the odds barely change. You have a ridiculously good chance of being just fucking fine either way
Surviving...if you're healthy you have a good chance of surviving. That's not the same as being just fine.

And this is only true of young people without comorbidities. People with type I diabetes didn't develop it from living unhealthy. You can reduce their risk of developing a breakthrough case, by getting to herd immunity.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:46 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:53 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:20 pm Another thing people are not factoring into these statistics is how horribly unhealthy Americans are to begin with. The average American diet is utter garbage. Why I never hear any officials promoting exercise and healthy eating is beyond me. Thats your best defense. Keeping your immune system strong. I'll say it again if you are relatively healthy covid poses little to no threat to you
Nope.

The vaccine is. Fact.
The vaccine is an unnecessary precaution. Your immune system is perfectly equipped. Thats like saying an umbrella is your best defense against rain indoors
That's a terrible and silly analogy.

A better one would be that your immune system is like a seat belt and not getting vaccinated is like driving wrecklessly. Your seat belt might save you, but why take the unnecessary risk? And why put others on the road at risk? Drive safely (get vaccinated) AND wear your seat belt.

Sure is a lot of antivax rhetoric from someone claiming to be vaccinated who gets very emotionally sensitive to being called an antivaxxer.

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

If a boat is sinking its ok to let the people that can swim swim to shore. Our covid measures have caused more damage than covid itself would have. Its time to return to normal in every way. Past time. If you are comfortable getting vaccinated I encourage you to. If you are unsure there is no reason you should have to. Enough is enough
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Here's the thing randy. Both you and I want things to be normal and stay that way. Unfortunately, neither one of us has much say. Politicians will respond to the increasing numbers of cases. They may reinstitute the things that neither one of us wants.

The fastest and best way to limit the spread of covid is by vaccinating as many people as possible. So, without govt mandates or anything like that. We should encourage as many people as possible to get the jab because, if they don't, the positive cases will increase, and the mitigation efforts, which we agree are bad, will be brought back.

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:36 pm Here's the thing randy. Both you and I want things to be normal and stay that way. Unfortunately, neither one of us has much say. Politicians will respond to the increasing numbers of cases. They may reinstitute the things that neither one of us wants.

The fastest and best way to limit the spread of covid is by vaccinating as many people as possible. So, without govt mandates or anything like that. We should encourage as many people as possible to get the jab because, if they don't, the positive cases will increase, and the mitigation efforts, which we agree are bad, will be brought back.
In this country politicians work for the people. People don't work for the politicians. But politicians have been using covid to try to reverse that. And that's the bigger problem than the virus
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

What is this government mandate about not bringing weapons on planes. We’ll get there mostly safely if everyone made their own choices about bringing weapons on planes. Besides, what’s the hijacking rate, like 0.01%? Why should we infringe on freedom to bring bazookas on 787s!! Harumph!!!!
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:36 pm Here's the thing randy. Both you and I want things to be normal and stay that way. Unfortunately, neither one of us has much say. Politicians will respond to the increasing numbers of cases. They may reinstitute the things that neither one of us wants.

The thing is nobody really cares how much numbers increase at this point. It doesn't justify taking ineffective measures. Its just a virus and we know for a fact its not a very deadly one. Time for everyone to come back to reality
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Now your just saying shit you wish was true but isn't.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Covid19 killed more people last year than any other infectious disease. So it was actually THE DEADLIEST virus. It's killed well over 600 000 Americans...that's a city. It's 2 out of every 1,000 Americans.

These are facts.just saying it's not deadly doesn't make it true.

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:18 am Now your just saying shit you wish was true but isn't.
Youre right that it isn't true because people are not yet willing to come back to reality. If the entire population gets vaccinated covid is still here to stay and a very small percentage will still get sick and some die. Same as it has been all along. Thats why it really doesn't matter. Learn to live with it. Half of us have already gotten vaccinated
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:50 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:18 am Now your just saying shit you wish was true but isn't.
Youre right that it isn't true because people are not yet willing to come back to reality. If the entire population gets vaccinated covid is still here to stay and a very small percentage will still get sick and some die. Same as it has been all along. Thats why it really doesn't matter. Learn to live with it. Half of us have already gotten vaccinated
But it isn't.

Why are you incapable of admitting that the number of cases matters?

You can have a pathogen that kills 50% of the people infected, but if it only infects 1,000 people it would be far less deadly than a virus that kills 1% but infects a million people.

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:12 am
Just an empty quote because i want to ask you a question....

Lets hypothetically say we get the USA fully vaccinated population up to around 70% by winter...

do you think we can fully eradicate this virus? If no, do you see any path forward where this virus isn't here to stay?

My thought process is this: they think immunity deminishes over time (understandably). Many got vaccinated early this year. Their immunity may be diminishing by winter time which would be about as soon as we will realistically get to 70%+ vaccination rate among our population (and that's probably wishful thinking)...so what does that mean for the chances of this ever going away?

And...do you think covid is something that will be around for the rest of our lives and we will need yearly vaccinations for to protect ourself and others?

Thanks in advance.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I accepted long ago that a booster shot would be coming. Sign me up.