NBA Finals

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: NBA Finals

Post by ousdahl »

when was the last time we had a finals with both teams at full strength?

(wait, was it last year, when the Dubs swept the Cavs?)

but yeah, so many finals come down to not simply which team is the best, but which team is the healthiest.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:45 pmVan Vleet, fuck that guy.
It's hard not to think of Frank when thinking of Van Vleet (and yes, fuck that guy).

I'm not surprised that Frank isn't blowing up in the NBA, but it's hard for me to understand why Van Vleet looks a lot better in the league than Frank has given Frank's athletic advantages and just seems the overall better ball player. At worst, seemed like they'd be similar in fighting for minutes in the NBA.

Frank's senior year 3pt shooting seemed a little aberration-y at the time, and I think that really could be the difference here. Always thought and still think Devonte' would fare better in the league than Frank because just looked like the better trigger shooter--that's what Van Vleet developed, I guess.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Frank's senior year 3pt shooting seemed a little aberration-y at the time"

LOL.
Always circling around to figure out a way to devalue Frank.
Not certain why.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:42 am If KT could have legitimately played last night - the person/people who made the decision not to play him should be completely roasted today. His not playing very well may have cost them the series.
Those who bet the Warriors in 4 or 5 are already done. No respect for the Raps - nor KD and his absence?
Talk that both KT and KD will be back for game 4. Figure the Warriors are going to have an extremely difficult time winning 3 out of 4 with one of them not playing let alone the both of them.
Stay tuned.

P.S. The fan who pushed Lowry and allegedly said "vulgar things" is going to be identified and then harassed. Deserved or not, I fully expect the fan to be an asshole and not offer a simple "I was wrong and I apologize".
Hopefully I am wrong about that - for everyone's sake.
Well, the fan has been identified and just as I thought - HE did not apologize. The Warriors apologized on his behalf. Really? He himself couldn't come out and apologize too?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/269 ... lowry-push
Deleted User 266

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:40 am Gee, you mean it's a lot harder to win an NBA Finals game with only one elite player? Shocker. Someone should tell all those bashing James for not being a miracle worker.
I have never bashed James for not being a miracle worker and I give him a shit ton of credit for making the Finals with a horse crap team.
What I will ALWAYS bash him for is willingly leaving his teammates (SOME OF WHICH HE RECRUITED) and fans high and dry. More than once.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

If I change employers it will leave some folks high and dry. I dont bash him for doing the same thing every one of us does which is trying to work in the best situation possible.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 am
It's hard not to think of Frank when thinking of Van Vleet (and yes, fuck that guy).

I'm not surprised that Frank isn't blowing up in the NBA, but it's hard for me to understand why Van Vleet looks a lot better in the league than Frank has given Frank's athletic advantages and just seems the overall better ball player. At worst, seemed like they'd be similar in fighting for minutes in the NBA.

Frank's senior year 3pt shooting seemed a little aberration-y at the time, and I think that really could be the difference here. Always thought and still think Devonte' would fare better in the league than Frank because just looked like the better trigger shooter--that's what Van Vleet developed, I guess.
Frank's improvement seemed to be the result of a massive amount of really hard work.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Why are players supposed to be loyal to teams when teams can trade players all the time? Casual fans will hate LeBron and KD because they left in free agency, but how many of those same people hate Toronto's GM for trading Derozan? To go along with that point, I don't even know the dude's name who approved the trade. No one hates role players for leaving. Loyalty standard should go both ways, no?

As far as Frank/Van Vleet comparison, I think Van Vleet gets an edge because he is in a situation where he is the clear #2 PG. Meanwhile Frank is in a dumpster fire in Sacramento that thought a lineup with four 7 footers was going to work for a stretch this season and doesn't know what they are doing from game to game let alone week to week.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Frank's improvement seemed to be the result of a massive amount of really hard work.
What's your point? I don't disagree, but his shooting seems a natural hypothesis as to the difference between him being a fringe NBA player and a key role player like FVV. I'm curious to what other factors are at play, b/c I look at Van Vleet and Frank has always seemed the better player.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:20 pmAs far as Frank/Van Vleet comparison, I think Van Vleet gets an edge because he is in a situation where he is the clear #2 PG. Meanwhile Frank is in a dumpster fire in Sacramento that thought a lineup with four 7 footers was going to work for a stretch this season and doesn't know what they are doing from game to game let alone week to week.
Sacramento is obviously a dumpster fire.

I'd certainly be OK with the reason Frank seems to have peaked then regressed is b/c Sacramento was incompetent in signing and playing Yogi Ferrell--another guy that you wouldn't think would be any better than Frank.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would say his 21% from 3 last season is more an aberration than his 50% in college.
Deleted User 266

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:16 pm If I change employers it will leave some folks high and dry. I dont bash him for doing the same thing every one of us does which is trying to work in the best situation possible.

That's fair twocoach.
Difference is you have a fan base of millions, tell people you want them to join you at your new job you but they will have to take a pay cut to do as such, leave them, and then tell us how that works out for you and them.
Please understand - I too would probably want what I feel is best for me and my family but I find it selfish when you involve many others in your decision and they change their lives because of it. I get they have a choice and willingly do it and I also get it's the nature of the beast - but I sure as heck don't like it.
Deleted User 266

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:20 pm Why are players supposed to be loyal to teams when teams can trade players all the time? Casual fans will hate LeBron and KD because they left in free agency, but how many of those same people hate Toronto's GM for trading Derozan? To go along with that point, I don't even know the dude's name who approved the trade. No one hates role players for leaving. Loyalty standard should go both ways, no?

As far as Frank/Van Vleet comparison, I think Van Vleet gets an edge because he is in a situation where he is the clear #2 PG. Meanwhile Frank is in a dumpster fire in Sacramento that thought a lineup with four 7 footers was going to work for a stretch this season and doesn't know what they are doing from game to game let alone week to week.
Another good post ND.
Loyalty is a personal thing. Fully respect LeBron for busting his ass and trying to win in Cleveland but I didn't like that he recruited guys to play with him and then when he he felt he couldn't win with them he basically said fuck you to them and left for what he felt would greener pastures. Maybe I am being selfish as a fan partially because I grew up in a time when it seemed players actually wanted to be loyal to a fan base (and their teammates) more than that's the case these days. No doubt money plays a major factor in today's professional sports and players decisions on where they would rather make money - than stay on a team that drafted them and gave them their first opportunity. The flip side of that is I agree it's hard to fault a guy who wants to play for a winning team that gives them the best chance to win a championship. Only problem with that is the 95% of other players and teams who are basically fucked because of it and they don't win championships because of what I feel is a selfish decision. Maybe I should cut LeBron and the other players some slack. Obviously I am not a professional athlete so I probably see it differently than they do. My main thought regarding LeBron is that he had plenty of money and when the going got tough in Cleveland, and then Miami, and then Cleveland again, he got going.
Some say good for him. That's cool. I just happen to not be one of those people.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Durant our for game 4, Klay back
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:28 pm Durant our for game 4, Klay back
So it's probably time to think that KD is done for the series (and maybe done with GS, but that's another topic).

If there is any do-or-die game, it has to be this one, right?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Friday night will be buzzin.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:23 pm

What's your point? I don't disagree, but his shooting seems a natural hypothesis as to the difference between him being a fringe NBA player and a key role player like FVV. I'm curious to what other factors are at play, b/c I look at Van Vleet and Frank has always seemed the better player.
Frank had the misfortune of being drafted by one of the worst run organizations in the NBA. Every day I hope to hear he has left purgatory via trade/release.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:35 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:16 pm If I change employers it will leave some folks high and dry. I dont bash him for doing the same thing every one of us does which is trying to work in the best situation possible.

That's fair twocoach.
Difference is you have a fan base of millions, tell people you want them to join you at your new job you but they will have to take a pay cut to do as such, leave them, and then tell us how that works out for you and them.
Please understand - I too would probably want what I feel is best for me and my family but I find it selfish when you involve many others in your decision and they change their lives because of it. I get they have a choice and willingly do it and I also get it's the nature of the beast - but I sure as heck don't like it.
How can one person be called selfish for another person's willing decision? If we went out to eat and I ordered chicken and suggest you do the same, even though you wanted steak, and you end up getting the chicken. Does that make me selfish?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:37 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:23 pm
Frank had the misfortune of being drafted by one of the worst run organizations in the NBA. Every day I hope to hear he has left purgatory via trade/release.
I certainly think that's a fair point.

This is a different Kings org. than the one that drafted T-Rob, though. They done fucked up this year and didn't look like a half bad franchise with a good outlook.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:35 pm

That's fair twocoach.
Everyone was a grown up and realized the possibilities when they decide to join James in Miami and then Cleveland. He has zero obligation to them just as I have zero obligation to my coworkers if I decide to change jobs.

And the fans? Come on.