Grandma's 5 Questions for 8/5/20

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Grandma's 5 Questions for 8/5/20

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:47 pm Also generally people don't know how bad they smell, they've adjusted to it.
I've had some really stinky coworkers who could really have used deodorant - and i'm sure they just didn't know they smelled so bad.
When people are really smelly, it's usually more about not showering and or not wearing clean clothes.

Deodorant is only applied to your armpits.

For most people's armpits to smell so much that it is noticed by others at a distance, it requires a lot of sweat (more than you get working at a desk) and time.

If I don't wear deodorant and at the end of the workday I lifted my arm and you stuck your face in it and smelled it, you'd smell BO, but if I'm behaving normally and we're giving each other normal personal space, you wouldn't smell me.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:50 pm You would rather others suffer than you, yourself, suffer.
My life will be inconvenienced with my choice.
Others lives will be inconvenienced with yours ( "Also generally people don't know how bad they smell, they've adjusted to it" ).
With social distancing, you can't smell the BO of anyone with normal hygeine. The type of BO that is offensive would only come from a glandular issue, which I don't have, or days without cleaning yourself or changing your clothes.

This is not based solely off myself, but interactions with others.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Someone get stinky guy out of my kitchen.
I'm trying to slice this chicken with a pizza slicer.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think deodorant is partly a marketing scheme. We apply deodorant to our armpits every day, but you also have apocrine sweat glands (like in your armpit) in your groin. But until recently, I hadn't seen many products to deodorize your undercarriage and everyone seems to have gotten along fine.

The sweat from your armpits is initially odorless, it's only after bacteria start to metabolize it, that it begins to smell. If you bathe regularly you will remove that sweat AND you will have less bacteria present in your underarms and therefore the smell won't be as bad.

Also, not everyone has armpit BO, but most still wear deodorant because they're shamed into doing it.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... s-2508106/

https://www.livescience.com/26351-no-sm ... orant.html

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I think Gutter just phased his question badly, as he frequently does. I think he meant that you wouldn’t use a knife, fork or spoon for eating. I don’t think he meant no use of knives at all. I don’t think he meant that you couldn’t use a garden fork to turn over the soil.

Or maybe he did.

I’m operating under the assumption that it’s the use of said utensils for eating that’s disallowed for this thought exercise. There are several things on the list that I could have picked but I’m almost more than halfway there with the eating utensils thing.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

1. President
2. No
3. No. I have unfriended people but never felt bad about it....Yes you should tell them.
4. Easily i would choose to give up E.
5. No
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's far more concerning to me that people are choosing to eliminate music over deodorant or utensils.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 pm It's far more concerning to me that people are choosing to eliminate music over deodorant or utensils.

Yes, another bad choice

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Gutter really did a poor job describing the options in that question.

No tv....does that mean no television set, no cable, can you watch netflix on a laptop or phone?

I mean, I took it to be more inclusive, so that's another poor choice. You're not going to watch any movies during a global pandemic for the rest of the year? No bingewatching anything? What if there is a college football or college basketball season? You'd miss all of the KU football games and the first half of the BB season, with your only option being to listen to it on radio.