Welcome Flory Bidunga

Kansas Basketball.
mjl2
Contributor

Re: Welcome Flory Bidunga

Post by mjl2 »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 1:38 pm Diallo shot 57% from the field which was better than anyone not named putback only Landen Lucas.
But Self plays guys who do what he tells them to do. I don't necessarily disagree with you on whether Diallo should have been playing, but in the context of Bidunga playing, he has a much better shot if he sticks to run-rebound-defend, which Diallo didn't do
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

It's been damn near a decade since we saw Diallo play at KU, and we only saw him play limited minutes at that.

But I'm trying to remember what he did look like when he played.

I suppose "try and show them your mid range fadeaway" would be a very good way to not get more minutes.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Last edited by DeletedUser on Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 1:53 pm But I remember him somehow still being better at the pick-and-roll lobs than much larger Hunter, right?
I find that hard to believe.

One averaged 8pts a game. The other averaged 18pts a game.

I think you're creating some of this in your head. Landen probably wasn't better at anything than HD is. We also run most of our pick and roll lobs for Kj because they (DH and Kj) are better at it than DH and HD.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

A guy who this roster who might have far higher nba potential than people are giving him credit for: rakeese passmore
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:13 pm A guy who this roster who might have far higher nba potential than people are giving him credit for: rakeese passmore
Almost all decently sized unknown and undeveloped freshman have NBA potential to some extent. It's too early to know anything about that sort of projection. He's years away from that being even remotely realistic.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:59 pm
BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 1:53 pm But I remember him somehow still being better at the pick-and-roll lobs than much larger Hunter, right?
I find that hard to believe.

One averaged 8pts a game. The other averaged 18pts a game.

I think you're creating some of this in your head. Landen probably wasn't better at anything than HD is. We also run most of our pick and roll lobs for Kj because they (DH and Kj) are better at it than DH and HD.
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

but yea, HD is obviously a superior player.

Landen might have got off the floor a little better than Hunter, who plays woefully below the rim despite his size. That's not to say, tho, that Landen was some acrobatic high flyer type either. And Landen might have the edge as a pure defensive center, but I dunno.

If it might prompt endearment: I kinda think of Landen as the big man's version of Dajuan.

Either way, looking forward, I'd like to see Hunter pick-and-roll lob finishes become a regular thing.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:32 pm Either way, looking forward, I'd like to see Hunter pick-and-roll lob finishes become a regular thing.
Why though? Because it's cool to see on the TV?

If Kj is better at it (or Flory), and finishes them at higher rate, why would we try to force those plays to HD?

The answer is: we wouldn't.

You play to your team and players strengths.

HD is elite at sealing and scoring. He's slow and not a leaper. Becuase of this he's not all that effective at pick and roll lobs.

I know they look cool on TV. But those will be going to KJ. Because that's one of the few things he's elite at offensively, pick and rolls with DH.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

I was thinking more along the lines of, cuz it's simply a high percentage play for any big man.

But yea, maybe Hunter is better utilized in post isos and pick-and-pops and set jumpers, I guess.

either way, I hope Hunter dunks it like a lot more.

He doesn't have to jump more than like 8 inches, tops.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:52 pm I was thinking more along the lines of, cuz it's simply a high percentage play for any big man.
Yes. If your big guy is fast and jumps high. Very high %.

If your big guy is slow and can't jump, then it's a low % play because it won't work. You have to be fast enough to set the pick and the roll to the rim faster than the defense...he can't. That's why he's a more traditional back to the basket big guy. He scores before he even catches the ball on many of his baskets. Seals his guy. Receives the pass. And easy layup or dunk.

KJs speed and leaping are why they work so well with him. And that's inspite of him not being an outside shooting threat to stress the defense in those situations. He still is elite at it due to his timing, Familiarity with the offense and DH, and positioning.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Thu Oct 17, 2024 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

bro but my metric for good hoops is whether it looks cool on TV.

To that, I'd also like to see Dajuan antagonistically bounce the ball between the defender's legs more, And-1 mixtape style.

I kid...but actually, didn't like Elijah actually do that do a dude?
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:57 pm

KJs speed and leaping are why they work so well with him. And that's inspite of him not being an outside shooting threat to stress the defense in those situations. He still is elite at it due to his timing, Familiarity with the offense and DH, and positioning.
yea, he might be better equipped for the PnR lob, not to mention various other oops.

What do you see as far as how we use him offensively this year?

I could see more post feeds for him, of sorts, like in the Cincy game, where he can get it in the paint to make a strong move in rhythm to the rim, or maybe a hard dribble with a quick change of direction for that little teardrop thing.

It might even throw defenses for a loop too..."of all the dudes they could draw it up for, they're running the offense thru KJ?!"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 5:03 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:57 pm

yea, he might be better equipped for the PnR lob, not to mention various other oops.

What do you see as far as how we use him offensively this year?

I could see more post feeds for him, of sorts, like in the Cincy game, where he can get it in the paint to make a strong move in rhythm to the rim, or maybe a dribble with a quick change of direction for that little teardrop thing.

It might even throw defenses for a loop too..."of all the dudes they could draw it up for, they're running the offense thru KJ?!"
I don't think we're going to reinvent the wheel for KJ this year.

And I wouldn't be shocked to see his minutes shrink to under 30min per game IF Clemence is actually capable of playing the 4....but after seeing the team pic, it sure looks like Storr is a lot smaller than advertised, so not sure i see him being able to rebound and defend well enough to be a small ball 4.

Don't read into the Cincy game. For 1: we lost. And more importantly McCullar and Hunter didn't play. So probably not a great game to use as a 1 game sample to project this year when at full strength.

If we run offense "through" someone, it'll be our 7'2 1st team AA center.

Otherwise it'll be team offense with (hopefully) good ball movement and a few more shooters than last year. DH KJ and HD are all elite passers and have experience in our system. The other dudes should hopefully be able to play off of that well.