2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by jfish26 »

I don't think there's an argument for anyone but Brady (over Mahomes) right now.

And every week that goes by without Mahomes turning into a pumpkin (or even just an above-average quarterback) strengthens his case.

He threw for 375, 3 and 0 last week, and honestly it was a below-average game for him, as far as how he accomplished it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mahomes didn't look the same at all after the injury and still had the monster numbers.

Even in last year's AFC game, he played like shit the first half and still had the Chiefs in the game and ended up with huge numbers.

He's something we've never seen before and everyone is just waiting for the playoff hump to be conquered.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He was trying no looks against a potential top 5 defense in the NFL on the road.
Give him Julian Edelman, Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown plus that collection of running backs plus one of the better defensive units in the game?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:10 am He was trying no looks against a potential top 5 defense in the NFL on the road.
Give him Julian Edelman, Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown plus that collection of running backs plus one of the better defensive units in the game?
I don't follow - I'd take KC's skill position players over New England's, still.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 am Mahomes didn't look the same at all after the injury and still had the monster numbers.

Even in last year's AFC game, he played like shit the first half and still had the Chiefs in the game and ended up with huge numbers.

He's something we've never seen before and everyone is just waiting for the playoff hump to be conquered.
Reid (quite smartly, and if we're being honest somewhat belatedly) de-risked things after the injury and a big lead. There was no reason to have him scrambling around and trying to make plays 40 yards downfield.

I think we're saying the same thing, but: 375 and 3 is a light game for that guy right now.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Week 1 recap:
AFC:
Chiefs and Pats look like class of AFC.
Browns stunk but don't think it's indicative of their season.
Dolphins are bad.
Broncos really stink.
Raiders played spirited ball.
Pittsburgh might be really bad this year.
Texans were impressive as were the Colts (In a loss, they played competitive ball. Mack ran all over LA)
Jets need to utilize Bell more often (He's on my fantasy team)

NFC:
Saints did well. Defense needs some work.
Eagles and Cowboys will battle all year in NFC East.
Bucs/49ers game was so blah. They both stink.
Rams and Panthers was as expected. Rams a good road team, Panthers will be better this year.
Vikings big signing at QB threw the ball just 10 times and they still destroyed ATL.
Mitch better step it up for Chicago or else they'll look to move on from him.
Green Bay might be a decently complete team this year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 am
pdub wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:10 am He was trying no looks against a potential top 5 defense in the NFL on the road.
I don't follow - I'd take KC's skill position players over New England's, still.
Exactly. I think KC has the better skill guys. KC has a better offense than NE, NE has the better defense.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That WR core is better than ours.
That RB core is better than ours.
Our TE is better than theirs, easily, but I have a sneaking suspicion Gronk comes back midseason.

And then, without question, their defense is better than ours.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 am Mahomes didn't look the same at all after the injury and still had the monster numbers.

Reid (quite smartly, and if we're being honest somewhat belatedly) de-risked things after the injury and a big lead. There was no reason to have him scrambling around and trying to make plays 40 yards downfield.

I think we're saying the same thing, but: 375 and 3 is a light game for that guy right now.
Mahomes on a bum ankle had a passing chart like Alex Smith had in KC. Lots of throws at the LOS and not much more than 10 yards downfield.

I mean, when healthy, he had 211 yards in the 1st quarter. Against arguably the best defense in the league. That's absolutely insane.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:19 am
That WR core is better than ours.
That RB core is better than ours.
Our TE is better than theirs, easily, but I have a sneaking suspicion Gronk comes back midseason.

And then, without question, their defense is better than ours.
You can't go wrong with either WR/TE group, but (assuming health/availability in each case) I think Hill/Kelce/Watkins/everything else is better than Edelman/Brown/Gordon/everything else.

I also don't think NE's running backs are demonstrably better than Williams/McCoy/Thompson.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Damien Williams was a throw away by the Dolphins.
He's done well here but he has a lot of space to work with.
Sony Michel was a first round pick by the Pats and had 12 rushing TDs last year.
James White is a better pass catcher than Damien.

I would swap Williams and McCoy for Michel and White.

Josh Gordon is a crazy but he's more athletic than any of our wideouts.
Antonio Brown is crazy but he's simply better than any of our wideouts.
Julian Edelman is a better possession receiver than any of our wideouts.

Kelce is a beast.

I think the units as a whole are very comparable. And as I said, I think Gronk comes back.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't agree on all of the particulars above, but I think it's certainly true that Mahomes can do more things that unlock/use all of a receiver's skills. I don't have confidence in Brady to do anything over 20 yards past the line of scrimmage (except draw flags).
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:42 am Damien Williams was a throw away by the Dolphins.
Sony Michel was a first round pick by the Pats and had 12 rushing TDs last year.

Kelce is a beast.

I think the units as a whole are very comparable. And as I said, I think Gronk comes back.
I'm not sure I agree Gordon is more athletic than all of the Chiefs wideouts. Heck, I'm not so sure he's more athletic than either Hill, Watkins, or Hardman.
I do think Brown is better than any of the Chiefs wideouts.
I do think Edelman is a better possession receiver than any of the Chiefs wideouts.

Mahomes deserves all the credit he gets - and then some.
That being said, just like all elite QBs, put him on a shit team with a shit O.C., and shit receivers, and a shit offensive line, he's not much more than shit.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:42 am Damien Williams was a throw away by the Dolphins.

Kelce is a beast.

I'd rather have the two RBs who can both catch and run (Williams & McCoy) rather than 1 RB who can catch (White) and 1 RB who can run (Michel). But it's a nitpicky choice based on how fast KC runs their offense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Odell Beckham is going to use his watch to force Cleveland to release him so he can play on the Pats.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:11 pm Odell Beckham is going to use his watch to force Cleveland to release him so he can play on the Pats.
And, separately, The Kraft Group, LLC and TB12, Inc. schedule a 3-minute meeting to renegotiate the economics of various agreements.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Just took a dark turn...

https://t.co/wFAijgADJK

Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:45 pm Just took a dark turn...

https://t.co/wFAijgADJK
You beat me to it.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patr ... newsletter
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I’m not saying that the allegations aren’t true, but the timing from plaintiff (attorney) seems strategic.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

New England will play him.