Top 3 in your city

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Top 3 in your city

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:16 pm also, back to chicken. I like popcorn chicken. Nobody has popcorn chicken anymore except for random "specials". dumb.

Also, of note, KFCs chicken has slipped quite a bit since the 90s. Although, they by far have the best kids nuggets. By best, I mean, it appears to be actual chicken.
Sonic used to have pretty decent popcorn chicken. Not sure if they still do, I haven't been to one in years.
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:48 pm And question: do you all make homemade chicken strips? So so easy, delicious, and way cheaper than getting them out (yeah I know it’s probably a grab and go lunch option, and makes sense when at work, etc).

I actually do a tarragon chicken salad with a beer batter for time to time at home. Super yummy.
Air fry ‘em all the time.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bring back the Sonic Guys.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

weak tot action
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:20 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:48 pm And question: do you all make homemade chicken strips? So so easy, delicious, and way cheaper than getting them out (yeah I know it’s probably a grab and go lunch option, and makes sense when at work, etc).

I actually do a tarragon chicken salad with a beer batter for time to time at home. Super yummy.
That’s generally how I do it! Same with chicken parmesan
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:29 am weak tot action
^^^

/thread
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:46 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:20 am

That’s generally how I do it! Same with chicken parmesan
Like Illy, I was wondering how you make them, too. Especially because I hate having to deal with the oil leftover from frying anything.

So, how do you two air fry 'em?
Derek Cressman
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Shirley wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:01 am
So, how do you two air fry 'em?
Lots of recipes online.

Most do the same thing.

Keys to making them crispy:

1. Pat the chicken dry before seasoning/breading. Same thing applies when air frying wings. It’s really the most key step.
Almost as important: in egg/milk/buttermilk mixture, add baking soda and baking powder. Helps with the crispy factor. On wings, it’s a MUST to put baking soda on raw wings first. Some kind of chemical reaction happens which aids in crispy-fying the skin.
2. Don’t over flour. Use enough to cover, but you don’t need a lot.

3. Panko as outer covering. Corn flakes work well, too, and take on any seasoning you like. I put corn flakes in a baggie and roll until really small. Then season. Then bread. And ‘spritz’ with avocado oil. (You need a little oil even while air frying for best results).

4. I definitely rotate mine halfway for even crispiness. I have a decent air fryer, with racks instead of a basket, but this still helps a lot.

Bonus:
Homemade honey mustard: yellow mustard, honey, Dijon, apple cider vinegar, mayo, dash of cayenne.

More yellow than Dijon, not a ton of honey, and a decent amount of mayo. I generally go lighter on mayo and add a little if consistency isn’t right.

I kinda combined recipes here for wings and tenders, but both similar, minus all the breading and crap for tenders.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Thanks!

I have a wire rack rather than a basket air fryer too, so some recipes don't apply as well to it as others. So, glad you added that detail. You spritz the avocado oil after the breading?

Full disclosure: I almost never use my air fryer, but being able to use it to quickly fix some chicken sounds like something I might do.
Derek Cressman
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Yes, spritz is last step. To whatever outer breading is.

Maybe start with bone in wings, if you like them.

Recipe:

Disjoint wings
Pat dry (like really dry)
In gallon baggie, add seasonings and a teaspoon and a half of baking soda
Shake wings (I do half at a time, so part out seasoning mixture)

Place on trays and cook (don’t stack on top and try not to have chicken touching at all, but don’t need lots of room between at all). 400. 12 minutes. Flip. 12 more minutes. If not crisp, do six more minutes one tray at a time. (I generally use both my trays at once, and makes about 16 wings (2 meals, generally).

Seasoning can be whatever you into. Salt, garlic powder, black pepper a good base. I like a little smoked paprika and chipotle or adobada seasoning. (Of note: I choose to under salt, but sauce/ranch/blue cheese) more than makes up for that)

I use Pinterest for finding such things. Google searches work too, but I like having them saved to Pinterest.

BWW mango habenero sauce is my favorite, or I’ll make a homemade buffalo or garlic parm sauce. Way better than bottled ones, and way less salty.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:06 am Yes, spritz is last step. To whatever outer breading is.

Maybe start with bone in wings, if you like them.

Recipe:

Disjoint wings
Pat dry (like really dry)
In gallon baggie, add seasonings and a teaspoon and a half of baking soda
Shake wings (I do half at a time, so part out seasoning mixture)

Place on trays and cook (don’t stack on top and try not to have chicken touching at all, but don’t need lots of room between at all). 400. 12 minutes. Flip. 12 more minutes. If not crisp, do six more minutes one tray at a time. (I generally use both my trays at once, and makes about 16 wings (2 meals, generally).

Seasoning can be whatever you into. Salt, garlic powder, black pepper a good base. I like a little smoked paprika and chipotle or adobada seasoning. (Of note: I choose to under salt, but sauce/ranch/blue cheese) more than makes up for that)

I use Pinterest for finding such things. Google searches work too, but I like having them saved to Pinterest.

BWW mango habenero sauce is my favorite, or I’ll make a homemade buffalo or garlic parm sauce. Way better than bottled ones, and way less salty.
Thanks! I'm not a good cook. As much as I try, almost nothing is intuitive to me...

I think it's because my mother duck-taped me to the toilet to potty train me, but I could be wrong.
Derek Cressman
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Consider cooking a practice, like medicine, and I bet you improve! It’s all about trying things until they work.

And best part is, the supermarket doesn’t ask you what kind of insurance you have before they decide to let you buy something!