Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:20 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:59 pm just read that, supposedly, you aren’t even supposed to press down on the french press…just let the coffee brew and then leave the press at the top to function as a filter of sorts

really?

then why the fuck is it called a french PRESS?!?!
Wut
One step that is widely debated is if and when, to plunge and stir your brew. Some baristas — notably James Hoffmann — recommend not pushing down the plunger at all in order to avoid stirring up the coffee sediment, though that must take some serious restraint. Baristas using the no-plunge method just stir the crust, and then decant the brew after the grounds settle.

Other baristas plunge their French press, but don’t bother stirring, since pushing down the plunger breaks the crust anyway. Plunging without stirring is probably the most typical method used by people making coffee at home. It’s also common in hospitality settings where the French press is brought out to customers, perhaps with a small timer, for them to finish the brew themselves.

this isn’t the article i read, but it cites the same dude…whomever the fuck james hoffman is

https://www.baristahustle.com/if-and-wh ... 2520settle.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I plunge without stirring. I didn't know not plunging was a thing.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

what is a French press
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:52 am I plunge without stirring. I didn't know not plunging was a thing.
Same.
I let it sit though before plunging.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

What is Zinc Oxide?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So it’s like 45 degrees here today.

Would believe it if a front came thru, but it didn’t. Just another bluebird sunny June day, feels good in the sun but chilly in the shade.

Was gonna put in the weather thread except it’s just so random
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Back when I was a daily French presser, I would achieve the stir by half pressing. I assume the goal of the stir is to wet the ground coffee beans to get a better extraction (essentially overcoming the surface tension to get them to sink, have more contact with the water, get more coffee goodness out). I didn't know it was called "crust."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I've never cared for celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay. Maybe it's only part of his schtick, but he seems like a mean, condescending person. Perhaps that's why I was unaware that he's a passionate cyclist? Now that I do know, I'm not sure I'll like him any more than I already didn't, but I'll certainly have a little more respect for him than I did, seeing as how he's already back to work after a soft tissue injury like this last weekend:

Gordon Ramsay is on the mend after a terrifying accident. The culinary icon and TV personality revealed a jaw-dropping injury he suffered after crashing his bike recently, telling fellow cyclists and dads to be safe as they celebrated Father's Day weekend. "WEAR A HELMET," Gordon wrote on Instagram in part, captioning a video of himself lifting his chef's jacket to show a massive bruise covering much of his torso. The dad of six admitted that the experience left him shaken but grateful for his medical team that's helping him make a full recovery.

Gordon Ramsay Reveals MASSIVE Bruise After Bike Accident

What would be interesting to know is if he develops some yellow/purple discoloration on the outside of his left foot in a week or so, as the liquid part of the bruise separates from the cellular part and following the laws of gravity, migrates to that most dependent part of his anatomy.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I always thought he was a dick too, then I saw him interact with kids and it changed my opinion of him.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Wonder what caused the accident? Bikes are a blast. But man stuff goes wrong fast
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Gordon Ramsey is awesome
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:36 pm I always thought he was a dick too, then I saw him interact with kids and it changed my opinion of him.
Speaking of.......

6 degrees of Gutter
My friend's kid (Jack) was on Master Chef Junior. ;)

They coincidently ran in to him on vacation.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

WWJD?
I am salaried - and yet I have to fill out a time sheet. I am supposed to get paid extra for any time I work that exceeds over 9 hours a day of work.
Yesterday early dismissal from work for all employees.1:00pm. I worked until 4:00pm.
Today, PAID day off. National holiday. I am getting bombarded with work related emails that I am responding to.
Do I put in (add) 3 hours of overtime for yesterday, and do I put in (add) any extra hours for the time I worked on my day off today?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:08 pm I've never cared for celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay. Maybe it's only part of his schtick, but he seems like a mean, condescending person. Perhaps that's why I was unaware that he's a passionate cyclist? Now that I do know, I'm not sure I'll like him any more than I already didn't, but I'll certainly have a little more respect for him than I did, seeing as how he's already back to work after a soft tissue injury like this last weekend:

Gordon Ramsay is on the mend after a terrifying accident. The culinary icon and TV personality revealed a jaw-dropping injury he suffered after crashing his bike recently, telling fellow cyclists and dads to be safe as they celebrated Father's Day weekend. "WEAR A HELMET," Gordon wrote on Instagram in part, captioning a video of himself lifting his chef's jacket to show a massive bruise covering much of his torso. The dad of six admitted that the experience left him shaken but grateful for his medical team that's helping him make a full recovery.

What would be interesting to know is if he develops some yellow/purple discoloration on the outside of his left foot in a week or so, as the liquid part of the bruise separates from the cellular part and following the laws of gravity, migrates to that most dependent part of his anatomy.
I think most of his ranting on teevee is an act. The first time I watched Hell's Kitchen I had nightmares about working with those morans. I would have lost my shit too. Bourdain liked him and said that all of his staff loved the guy.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:01 am WWJD?
I am salaried - and yet I have to fill out a time sheet. I am supposed to get paid extra for any time I work that exceeds over 9 hours a day of work.
Yesterday early dismissal from work for all employees.1:00pm. I worked until 4:00pm.
Today, PAID day off. National holiday. I am getting bombarded with work related emails that I am responding to.
Do I put in (add) 3 hours of overtime for yesterday, and do I put in (add) any extra hours for the time I worked on my day off today?
I am salaried and have lost weeks of time unpaid, but I look at it as a blessing to have a certain pay point.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm salaried and have to fill out a timesheet. Just got a message to fill it out for the rest of the month.

For any OT we work, we take time off to compensate. Works for me.

As for the hours you worked yesterday, I probably would not claim them. It sucks but it happens.

For holidays, unless I am expecting something, I don't log in. I don't have email or Teams on my phone. If they have an emergency they will have to call. I would probably claim the time you worked today.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Sparko wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:19 pm
I am salaried and have lost weeks of time unpaid, but I look at it as a blessing to have a certain pay point.
Good perspective! I say all the time that I am thankful to have my job and get paid well to do it.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:44 pm
I'm salaried and have to fill out a timesheet. Just got a message to fill it out for the rest of the month.

For any OT we work, we take time off to compensate. Works for me.

As for the hours you worked yesterday, I probably would not claim them. It sucks but it happens.

For holidays, unless I am expecting something, I don't log in. I don't have email or Teams on my phone. If they have an emergency they will have to call. I would probably claim the time you worked today.
Interesting. You get/take time off to compensate. Semi-related to my saying people abuse "sick days", maybe they feel they are compensating?

I think it was about 10 years ago that I had to start filing out a time sheet. At the time, no one could give me a "legal" reason why, and clearly it was for "legal" reasons.

I will NOT submit the hours I stayed late yesterday because I am getting paid for them regardless if I worked them or not. The crazy thing is there are a couple of other people in my department who stayed an hour late yesterday and they wanted to collude and submit the extra hour. I have to have the attitude of - to each their own.

Also, I am getting paid to work today so the hour or so that I spent responding to emails and putting out SMALL fires isn't/wasn't a big deal to me - but I find it interesting that all of a sudden my importance in/to the company is magnified - and yet the people who truly matter rarely see nor appreciate my effort/s. That's the nature of the beast. I often have a thankless job - but it would be nice if my effort is/was recognized.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:32 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:08 pm I've never cared for celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay. Maybe it's only part of his schtick, but he seems like a mean, condescending person. Perhaps that's why I was unaware that he's a passionate cyclist? Now that I do know, I'm not sure I'll like him any more than I already didn't, but I'll certainly have a little more respect for him than I did, seeing as how he's already back to work after a soft tissue injury like this last weekend:

I think most of his ranting on teevee is an act. The first time I watched Hell's Kitchen I had nightmares about working with those morans. I would have lost my shit too. Bourdain liked him and said that all of his staff loved the guy.
Thanks, that changes everything. (I'm still soooo pissed off at Bourdain, for totally selfish reasons. I loved his show and its amazing pov of the cultures of the places he visited.)

And, bonus, because I like to like the occasional fellow-cyclist I learn of.

(Sparko, who I only just learned is a cyclist, excepted...)
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas