Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by ousdahl »

then go watch it.

Again, I dunno how you purity-of-amateurism types were able to stomach that natty run this year.

It doesn't reek of a bunch of upperclassmen who stayed in the draft and grew together until the opportunity for a championship. It reeks of 1-800-GOT-JUNK.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:14 am No one is really being "harmed" by it.
Just like no one was really being "harmed" before it.

It's just becoming less unique and more like professional basketball.
And I can already watch a better version of that.
Under the old rules, the universities (many of them) were being harmed because their coaching staffs, sponsors, and athletes were actively undermining/breaking the rules. And also, in a different way, the athletes were being harmed by not being allowed to engage in money making activities that non athletes were allowed to engage in. Being an NCAA athlete doesn't mean the NCAA gets to control aspects of your life, even ones unrelated athletics/academics. The courts rules that was unconstitutional and unfair. Which I agree with.

Under the new rules, nobody is really being harmed if everyone follows the rules. Yes, i know they aren't/won't.

I do think it's very telling that Kansas NIL amounts aren't being leaked as frequently, but schools like Miami are making sure their $$$ leak to entice players.

What the Miami player did by announcing he requires more NIL $$$ should be viewed as a violation. And he should immediately become ineligible if he signs contracts that violate the rules put in place by the NCAA surrounding NIL. Whether than happens or not remains to be seen.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:18 am Again, I dunno how you purity-of-amateurism types were able to stomach that natty run this year.
Or how they support KT, and to a lesser extent Self, still being on our staff.

There was a laundry list of coaches and assistant coaches engaged in breaking the old rules. Many have gone unpunished. And that FBI fiasco/situation is a big reason why we have new rules in place.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Under the new rules, nobody is really being harmed if everyone follows the rules. Yes, i know they aren't/won't."

OK, so your point is already invalid.

Hey, before, people weren't following the rules, so people were getting hurt.
But now, if people follow the rules, people won't get hurt.
But people won't follow the rules now.

What?
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:32 am "Under the new rules, nobody is really being harmed if everyone follows the rules. Yes, i know they aren't/won't."

OK, so your point is already invalid.

Hey, before, people weren't following the rules, so people were getting hurt.
But now, if people follow the rules, people won't get hurt.
But people won't follow the rules now.

What?
Clear as mud, right?

Nobody is going to end up in jail over the new rules unless they are committing financial crimes by not reporting income or paying taxes.

NIL is legal. As it should be.

Here is my stance simple and clear:
NIL should not be allowed to be dependent on committing to a school. The rules say it is not allowed. These rules are much more easily enforceable than the old rules. Catching people breaking them should be relatively easy. So enforce the new rules.
Deleted User 863

I know we won't agree on liking NIL. That is totally ok.

We should agree that everyone should follow the new rules. And the new rules should be enforced.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So Miami is gonna be in big trouble then.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:49 am So Miami is gonna be in big trouble then.
That depends. Has Miami facilitated this stuff?

If LifeWallet wants to pay Pack, that is allowed, and should be allowed. UNLESS they (LifeWallet and Pack) had those discussions prior to his commitment to Miami and the NIL deal required that a condition of the agreement was his commitment to play at Miami.

The Wong stuff should get Wong in trouble, not necessarily Miami. UNLESS they (Miami) are helping facilitate NIL deals. Which isn't allowed.

Just enforce the rules.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

:lol:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... eport/amp/

Agent for Miami's Isaiah Wong wants better NIL deal, threatens Hurricanes star will transfer, per report
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:06 am :lol:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... eport/amp/

Agent for Miami's Isaiah Wong wants better NIL deal, threatens Hurricanes star will transfer, per report
pdub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:15 am Don't worry guys.
Nothing to see here.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -increased

"Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong will enter the transfer portal on Friday if his name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation isn't increased, his NIL agent, Adam Papas of NEXT Sports Agency, told ESPN on Thursday.

"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process," Papas said.

"Isaiah would like to stay at Miami," Papas said. "He had a great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team leader of an Elite Eight team.'"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:25 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:10 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:07 am

It is a fair point.

I wish the old rules had been followed too.
I wish the old rules had been fixed 20 years ago when it was obvious that they needed to be fixed. It's why we need new leadership in the NCAA; they are always 20 years behind and only make changes when forced.
It is hard to fix things from an office building when a decent portion of the sport is actively working to undermine the rules (coaching staffs, sponsors/boosters, and players).

These new rules should be easier to enforce. NIL contract negotiations have paper trails. Contracts are signed, etc.
Did they build anything into the process where an NIL deal had to be filed with the ncaa office? Nope. Dumb.

It's stuff like that where the ncaa creates these "rules" but doesn't take the time to figure out how to actually enforce them. Then they come in years later and punish a school for their own shortsightedness.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:06 am Agent for Miami's Isaiah Wong wants better NIL deal, threatens Hurricanes star will transfer, per report
if this fungus makes its' way to KANSAS, MICHHAWKS response is..............DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON YOUR @$$ ON THE WAY OUT.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:55 am
pdub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:49 am So Miami is gonna be in big trouble then.
That depends. Has Miami facilitated this stuff?

If LifeWallet wants to pay Pack, that is allowed, and should be allowed. UNLESS they (LifeWallet and Pack) had those discussions prior to his commitment to Miami and the NIL deal required that a condition of the agreement was his commitment to play at Miami.

The Wong stuff should get Wong in trouble, not necessarily Miami. UNLESS they (Miami) are helping facilitate NIL deals. Which isn't allowed.

Just enforce the rules.
Does the rule say that they cannot discuss a deal prior to his arrival? No, probably not. It just says that it cannot be contingent on him attending the school. Unless it explicitly states in the contract that him joining the Miami team is a requirement of the contract then the ncaa has nothing they can do about it.

And all Miami has to do is talk to whatever company they are using to facilitate NIL deals (I assume they have someone similar to the 6th Man Strategies team that KU is using) and say "figure it out". Voila, Miami isn't "facilitating it.

The ncaa is so lazy and dumb.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:08 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:10 am

I wish the old rules had been fixed 20 years ago when it was obvious that they needed to be fixed. It's why we need new leadership in the NCAA; they are always 20 years behind and only make changes when forced.
It is hard to fix things from an office building when a decent portion of the sport is actively working to undermine the rules (coaching staffs, sponsors/boosters, and players).

These new rules should be easier to enforce. NIL contract negotiations have paper trails. Contracts are signed, etc.
Did they build anything into the process where an NIL deal had to be filed with the ncaa office? Nope. Dumb.

It's stuff like that where the ncaa creates these "rules" but doesn't take the time to figure out how to actually enforce them. Then they come in years later and punish a school for their own shortsightedness.
I will dig into the official process and let you know what I find out.

At The University of Illinois, and maybe it is different other places, it has to be submitted to the athletic department. The contract and relevant correspondence. My "boss" just went through the process. He said it was very detailed. There was language within the contract that said if the 2 players left Illinois prior to the date of event, that the contract was still valid. That the contract was not dependent on, or subject to, being an athlete at University of Illinois.

And all this for $500 total, 30min appearance fees.

Nobody is just "taking someone's word" that they're good for it when it's $800k like Pack is getting. That is serious money. The player would be dumb to not have it in the form of a valid contract.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:45 am I know we won't agree on liking NIL. That is totally ok.

We should agree that everyone should follow the new rules. And the new rules should be enforced.
We should agree that the rules need to be updated ASAP to build in ways to monitor adherence to the rules. We live in the day and age of computers; this shouldn't be hard to do. Require the contract be submitted to the ncaa for review, set requirements of when contracts can happen (in the case of an athlete changing schools) and set a time limit for the review time.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this is what happens when heads get buried in the sand and the people making decisions aren’t proactive
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:14 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:45 am I know we won't agree on liking NIL. That is totally ok.

We should agree that the rules need to be updated ASAP to build in ways to monitor adherence to the rules. We live in the day and age of computers; this shouldn't be hard to do. Require the contract be submitted to the ncaa for review, set requirements of when contracts can happen (in the case of an athlete changing schools) and set a time limit for the review time.
Bingo.

Although not sure it needs to be NCAA, at least not as step 1, because they have shown to be inefficient and ineffective. Make it be the schools 1st. And then if they fail to adhere to the rules they get punished too.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:12 am

At The University of Illinois, and maybe it is different other places, it has to be submitted to the athletic department. The contract and relevant correspondence. My "boss" just went through the process. He said it was very detailed. There was language within the contract that said if the 2 players left Illinois prior to the date of event, that the contract was still valid. That the contract was not dependent on, or subject to, being an athlete at University of Illinois.
You are talking about these being violations of NCAA rules, not individual school rules, aren't you?
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:12 am

You are talking about these being violations of NCAA rules, not individual school rules, aren't you?
Aren't the NIL rules NCAA rules?

Schools don't get to have individual NIL rules do they? Is it different in each state?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:14 am

Bingo.

Although not sure it needs to be NCAA, at least not as step 1. Make it be the schools. And then if they fail to adhere to the rules they get punished too.
And how does the ncaa know if they are following the rules without requiring submission to the ncaa? They don't. The NCAA is a fucking joke and their laziness and lack of desire to relinquish power and money has created this mess. I truly believe that they were intentionally vague in their "interim policy" to cause this shit show to happen so they could sit back and say "see, I told you so."