Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Strikes

Post by ousdahl »

trying to decide how to feel about this one:

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:17 am trying to decide how to feel about this one:

It's a good point. They provide a service for fans to be able to get sold out tickets without having to get season tickets. Good.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think the point though is, they buy up the tickets at face value to create a supply shortage so they can then turn around and price gouge the folks who actually wanna go to the concert
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:05 am I think the point though is, they buy up the tickets at face value to create a supply shortage so they can then turn around and price gouge the folks who actually wanna go to the concert
If landlords stopped doing that the price of apartments would skyrocket because their supply would then be limited. Why do you want to force people to have to buy?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Oussie wants the local collective to build and rent housing.
Broham
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:05 am I think the point though is, they buy up the tickets at face value to create a supply shortage so they can then turn around and price gouge the folks who actually wanna go to the concert
So why don't you buy them up first and sell them for less than face value to support the folks?
Deleted User 863

Or don't buy the tickets from scalpers. There's a thought. If you don't support the businesses you disagree with then that market for scalped tickets won't exist. Nobody is forcing you to buy over priced tickets for a concert. If people stop supporting their business plan then their business won't exist.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:16 am
If landlords stopped doing that the price of apartments would skyrocket because their supply would then be limited. Why do you want to force people to have to buy?
so maybe we shouldn’t treat housing like concert tickets, then?

There’s not a ton of parallels, except that those hoarding the supply aren’t actually using it for themselves
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:18 am Oussie wants the local collective to build and rent housing.
Where’d I say that?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

This doesn't seem to apply to the apartment rental world at all. They buy rental properties at market value so they can then turn around and rent units within the property to make money off of people who cannot afford to buy a property themselves. It's not price gouging or creating a supply shortage.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:35 am
jhawks99 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:18 am Oussie wants the local collective to build and rent housing.
Where’d I say that?
Shut up, commie.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:22 am Or don't buy the tickets from scalpers. There's a thought. If you don't support the businesses you disagree with then that market for scalped tickets won't exist. Nobody is forcing you to buy over priced tickets for a concert. If people stop supporting their business plan then their business won't exist.
But again, this isn’t a concert ticket purchased for leisure entertainment.

It’s a literal roof over your head.
It’s one thing to just forego attending a concert. But should people choose to go homeless just to stick it to the landlords?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:36 am
This doesn't seem to apply to the apartment rental world at all. They buy rental properties at market value so they can then turn around and rent units within the property to make money off of people who cannot afford to buy a property themselves. It's not price gouging or creating a supply shortage.
Then consider if a tenant is behind on rent, the landlord can have the cops kick the tenant out.

If a landlord is delinquent about any of the lease terms on their end, good luck tenant, keep trying.

And why is it that a tenant can pay $1200 a month rent for years but still not qualify for a $900 a month mortgage?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:36 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:35 am
Where’d I say that?
Shut up, commie.
actually, commie was too overrun with monetized greed. I’m more of a dot net type.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:36 am
Reading this again - how is this not price gouging or creating a supply shortage?

the landlord buys so they “can make money off people who cannot afford to buy a property themselves.” You said it yourself!

Wouldn’t more people be able to buy at market value in the first place, if landlords weren’t stepping in between to make that money?

How is that not price gouging? How does that not limit the supply?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:41 am And why is it that a tenant can pay $1200 a month rent for years but still not qualify for a $900 a month mortgage?
Debt to income ratios.

If you own a house you are responsible for taxes and insurance to get a loan. Those cost a lot more than $3,600 per year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, but all that cost to the landlord is covered by the rent they collect, and then some.

They aren’t doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, and they certainly aren’t doing it at a loss.

They’re doing it to make money for themselves, at the expense of others who didn’t have as much money to begin with.

Just like twocoach said!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

What the hell is it you want ousdahl? Free housing? Business to operate at cost or at a loss?

Landlords take all the risk and provide housing for those that cant purchase.

You can affod 1200 in rent because the landlord approves it and takes the risk of a few months no payment if you fail.

You cant afford 900 because the bank doesnt want to take on the risk of 200k if you fail.

I think you just get all fired up about anyone making money just because you think youre supposed to....its silly
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:57 am Yeah, but all that cost to the landlord is covered by the rent they collect, and then some.
I was just explaining why people don't qualify for loans on properties they can't afford to own.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:57 am Yeah, but all that cost to the landlord is covered by the rent they collect, and then some.

They aren’t doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, and they certainly aren’t doing it at a loss.

They’re doing it to make money for themselves, at the expense of others who didn’t have as much money to begin with.

Just like twocoach said!

What about maintenance? Insurance? Taxes? Risk of non payment by the tenant even though the mortgage is still due.
Just Ledoux it