Automobiles

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by japhy »

Anyone ever bought a vehicle with a manufacturer buyback/lemon title?

I am looking at one. Seems to be some drawbacks to buying one, but so far nothing that seems like a huge risk. Chances are I will never sell it. I have driven trucks to 300,000 miles. That would mean I have another 250,000 on this one. 2019 Ford F150.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

we’ve been considering a salvaged title situation for a “new” business vehicle…can’t convince ourselves it’s worth the dice roll
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:51 pm Anyone ever bought a vehicle with a manufacturer buyback/lemon title?

I am looking at one. Seems to be some drawbacks to buying one, but so far nothing that seems like a huge risk. Chances are I will never sell it. I have driven trucks to 300,000 miles. That would mean I have another 250,000 on this one. 2019 Ford F150.
Pull that handle!
I mean, no fucking way I would.

But, I am looking forward to hearing about it after.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I thought lemon was the brand mascot of Ford anyway, no?
Just Ledoux it
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Lemon or buyback title I have no hear of specifically.

Salvage titles are generally ok. Do some due diligence on the vehicle and make a (hopefully) educated opinion.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

It's one of those bargain mysteries I like to delve into.

Short version of the vehicle history is it was declared a Manufacturer Buyback in Cali. Pretty strict rules on that in Cali. The details are the automatic passenger side mirror didn't come out when the vehicle was turned on three times in 30 months and 52,000 miles. Fuse and reset and things worked again. The vehicle was leased. After three strikes they declared it a "lemon" the buyer gets money back. I suspect people tend to be more picky about that shit when you lease a $70,000 truck (2019 numbers).

After it was declared a lemon, which is officially on the title for the rest of its life, it was sold at auction 6 months later and shipped to MO. Doing comps, it is about $40-45K vehicle with a clean title. It has passed around KC for 16 months and has been listed by 3 previous dealerships and then each time resold at auction to another dealer. Current dealership has owned it before, they drop the price $1000 every week and have owned it for 3 weeks now. Due for another price drop.

After the test drive I asked the sales dude about the implications of a "Manufacturer Buyback/Lemon" title. I kept this info in my back pocket until after the test drive, I check the Carfax before I look at a vehicle. "Hmmm..." he says "I don't know anything about that". Cuz this vehicle has only been sitting here 3 weeks? Later as he explains the implications, and downplays it, seems like maybe he does know something about "that".

I googled automatic side mirrors on 2019 Ford F150s; seems to be common that at some point the side mirrors don't fold out automatically. Some owners just push the mirror out by hand and leave it out. Some say you just turn off the auto switch, and then turn it back on, which seems to reboot the system and then it works for another 3-6 months and then reboot again. I drive a 2012 vehicle with 195,000 miles on it. The side mirror issue seems like no biggie to me.

So given that this vehicle is selling for $36k I was curious why no one had bought it. Then it hit me, I wonder if banks will give loans for a truck with this title. Answer seems to be "NO". So to buy this truck you have to pay cash. That cuts 85% or more of the potential buyers out of the market. I will check with my insurance company on Monday about any implications there. But info out there says, yes I can get insurance.

When I drove the truck it runs good. The electronic gadgetry seems pretty cool, and the 10 speaker B&O stereo system sounds good. It has some features that seem to be hard to find in an F150, the super crew cab with a longer 6.5' bed being a big selling point for me. It has a 36 gallon extended gas tank. I can drive from KC to the Springs without putting fuel in the tank. It's a little thing, but a cool novelty to me driving a 2012 Tacoma with a 16 gallon tank. It was pretty steamy out yesterday and the in seat AC vent that blows cold air up my ass crack was fucking awesome! The next time I am 6 hours into a 12 hour trip and it is 105 deg in Colby KS, that cool air will feel better than a warm water bidet on a January morning!

The kicker is it is the "King Ranch" trim package. I see these trucks, often with Texas plates and "all hat no cattle" dudes climbing out. We get inside and Annie starts laughing hysterically, "oh my God this is such an old man rancher wannabe truck!". There are these inserts in everything leather that have stylized "W" branded in them. The seats, the console; and then there is the oval King Ranch emblem thing all around the outside. Annie obviously is entertained by the image of me driving this beast. My daughters would give me merciless hell the first time they climb in was well.

After we get outta the truck I tell her about my idea of turning the oval emblem into a potato. Maybe turn this thing into "King Tater" or "Spud Ranch" edition. She goes straight for the jugular and wants to call it the "Mastertater" and has a scheme to put rattlesnake heads and rattletails on all of the curves W emblems inside on the upholstery. I wouldn't buy any cowboy boots to ride around in as they look uncomfortable as hell, I'll stick with my hiking boots. But I might wear my almost cowboy style fishing hat more often while driving.

One of the last times I went on deep dive into the "whys" and "wherefores" of a bargain I ended up owning a town. I doubt this will be that much fun, but I will sit on this for several days and come back with a "low ball, let me take this lemon off yer hands" offer.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There is no risk except another buyer Miser Japh
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I had 1 lemon car amongst the 40-50 vehicles I have owned.

1 of only 3 brand new cars I have ever owned was a 2009 Range Rover Sport.

After 2 weeks of ownership, I ran it through an automatic car wash….and all 5 windows lowered themselves at once. You can imagine the shock.

I took it to the LR store, they had it for 4 days, tell me they can’t find anything wrong.

A week later, a pretty heavy rain in KC, same thing happens. Back to the dealer, and I am pretty torqued.

The next day, they call me and tell me they found the issue. They claimed it was a faulty window switch in the drivers door. I told them I had little confidence in that diagnosis, because while that panel COULD affect the other 4 passenger windows, it should have no affect on the rear glass, as the rear glass switch is in the dash.

3 weeks later, car wash, issue returns.
I went straight to the dealership with a soaking wet and over-sudsed Rover.

I asked them if they ever tried running a hose over the car and they said no.

After 2 months of arguing and arbitration….Land Rover USA bought it back.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Wow.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Land Rover has issues. They are about the most expensive to keep. The early Rovers are still gems. The suburban kid carriers not so much.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I've owned exactly 1 Ford. It was a fancier pants with leather and electronic doo dad's etc that I dont really want or need but the wife wanted in her car.

Every single electronic piece on the vehicle gas failed or functioned incorrectly, the window trim fell off 15 minutes into the forest highway drive.

i hate this stupid fucking vehicle and will never spend another dime on a Ford.

My 2 cents is that if it's a Ford with a fancy interior AND it's already been tagged as a Lemon. RUN away.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i learned my lesson buying anything but Toyota

bought a Forester, and even though Toyota has a large share, the downgrade in quality was quite evident
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:45 pm
My 2 cents is that if it's a Ford with a fancy interior AND it's already been tagged as a Lemon. RUN away.
I will not be denied my ass crack AC.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

japhy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:06 pm
it's not horrible...thats for sure. Only the drivers side works now though.

Also, it's unnecessary, particularly if you don't have leather seats.

Putting a windshield shade in makes up for not having butt AC
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:20 pm
japhy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:06 pm
Putting a windshield shade in makes up for not having butt AC
You have no idea just how hot Japhy’s ass is
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:45 pm I've owned exactly 1 Ford. It was a fancier pants with leather and electronic doo dad's etc that I dont really want or need but the wife wanted in her car.

Every single electronic piece on the vehicle gas failed or functioned incorrectly, the window trim fell off 15 minutes into the forest highway drive.

i hate this stupid fucking vehicle and will never spend another dime on a Ford.

Mrs. 99 had a Ford Windstar minivan. I hated that thing but it ran forever and she and the kids loved it.
Trust me bro
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I have had 2 Explorers and 2 Expeditions over the years. Never had any big issues with them, thankfully.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I have driven nothing but Toyotas for the last 15 years. They have been incredibly dependable. I hear mostly good things about the F150 so I will find out if the rumors are true. Bottom line is the F150 has more utility for me than a Tundra for the next 3 years.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

out of curiosity....

what can a f150 do that a tundra can't?

a tundra is technically a 3/4 ton just can't be marketed as that in the US due to agreements with American manufacturers.

The tundra is better in every single way than an F150
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Better gas mileage, bigger truck bed, bigger back seat area so I can bring two dogs to CO, rattlesnakes embroidered on the seatbacks.....and $10K cheaper.

And then there is the ass crack AC.....