Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:51 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:39 pm I think Darren's head is in the sand like several here.

They actually think Tshweibwe and Nigel Pack are getting money because of publicity.

If those players had decided not to attend those schools, those contracts would never have happened. It's not about publicity.

If you want to argue about whether these players should get paid by boosters or companies with connections to the school TO ATTEND THAT SCHOOL then enter the arena. Otherwise stop pretending it actually has to do with NIL.
Right, we can all discuss how awful the ncaa is and all the mistakes it's made until we're blue in the face.

But the fact is, that created a well oiled infrastructure of boosters, donations, bribes, etc. that doesn't exist ANYWHERE else. The Lakers can't go to Jack Nicholson asking for a donation to build a new hall of fame, nor can they ask Leonardo dicaprio to put LeBron in a movie for a $15 million cameo as a way to get around salary cap restrictions....but that's essentially what we have and is currently happening in college sports.
Actually Jack Nicholson or Leo or whoever could in fact give LeBron or whoever money to sign for less with the Lakers than somewhere else. It would be a gift and it would be taxable.

Leo could say "hey bron, i know the knicks are offering you 20mil this year, and the lakers can only give you 18mil, but if you stay with the Lakers i will gift you 2mil."

That's not against the law or against NBA salary cap because Leo is not affiliated with the Lakers.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:59 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:34 am did Nijel Pack invent something? thats awesome. What was it?

Is he going to go work for Life Alert or whatever that place is?

He's gonna go intern there? thats cool.

concerts they do?! your really reaching here..

most college kids concerts profits include a free red solo cup and no door fee....

Same opportunities as other students!! you're gonna love it.
I was on some patents based on my research done during grad school. They never got purchased, but if they had, I stood to make a whopping 5%. 40% went to the university, 30% went to the department, 15% to my advisor, and 5% each to the people who did the work.

Other students don't have it so great.
thank you! we had to compete hard to get an accomplished advisor, a summer research position, a 7AM teaching gig, just to stay afloat. and all-the-while maintain a full course load, high GPA, and attend all sorts of conferences and weekly faculty presentations that had nothing to do with our own research or classes. and any contributions or publications we made to science were always owned by the university, that was the deal we signed.

i don't have issues w/ students having side hustles and earning some dough, but could any other student on campus be successful in getting teachers to move exam or any of the various other special accommodations?

the real issue for me is that the story just doesn't add up anymore. why are we even pretending that this is amateur stuff anymore, or why are these "pros" affiliated with any university? let's just let them focus on their careers and call it the collegiate professional league and not keep acting like they're serious students. school revenue will continue, players that don't get drafted into NBA can continue on the team, and everyone is making all the money the market brings.
Deleted User 863

They haven't been real students in a long time. They missed an entire month of classes during March and April.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I don't think Power 5 college football and men's basketball players have been views as 'serious students' for a long time. At least 20-30 years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is an eye roll as my mom taught English 101 and 102 to several KU student athletes, including BB and FB players.

Assuming an athlete can’t pass college courses just because they are an athlete is lazy and a stereotype. There are plenty of good KU basketball and football players that were/are also good students.

Stop just assuming.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Cool straw man.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“They haven’t been real students for a long time.”

Respond with knowledge that there are athletes, basketball and football even, who are real students, addressing the subject directly.

“Cool straw man”

Not sure if you know what strawman means.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A strawman would be like my saying, “I don’t like NIL in college bc it’s resulting in making college sports less unique and more like professional sports, it makes me sad,” and then someone arguing, “you don’t like athletes, particularly black athletes, being paid, that’s what makes you sad”.

Now that is a strawman.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:26 pm They haven't been real students in a long time. They missed an entire month of classes during March and April.
and yet we're stuck in a paradigm of intentionally calling them "student athletes" and requiring them to take (even made up and fake) classes and that's the hook into the university. we don't need the hook, why the pretense?
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:31 pm This is an eye roll as my mom taught English 101 and 102 to several KU student athletes, including BB and FB players.

Assuming an athlete can’t pass college courses just because they are an athlete is lazy and a stereotype. There are plenty of good KU basketball and football players that were/are also good students.

Stop just assuming.
pdub, i wasn't assuming that, fyi. i too taught some football players and they were capable. they got lots of extra help by tutors and special arrangements, but as students they were better than a lot of others.
Deleted User 863

hoopla wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:49 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:31 pm This is an eye roll as my mom taught English 101 and 102 to several KU student athletes, including BB and FB players.

Stop just assuming.
pdub, i wasn't assuming that, fyi. i too taught some football players and they were capable. they got lots of extra help by tutors and special arrangements, but as students they were better than a lot of others.
I agree. Most are capable.

But many are athlete 1st. Student distant 2nd.

Didn't kevin durant not even go to class his 2nd semester? All Fs iirc.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:48 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:39 pm I think Darren's head is in the sand like several here.

They actually think Tshweibwe and Nigel Pack are getting money because of publicity.

If those players had decided not to attend those schools, those contracts would never have happened. It's not about publicity.

If you want to argue about whether these players should get paid by boosters or companies with connections to the school TO ATTEND THAT SCHOOL then enter the arena. Otherwise stop pretending it actually has to do with NIL.
Right, we can all discuss how awful the ncaa is and all the mistakes it's made until we're blue in the face.

But the fact is, that created a well oiled infrastructure of boosters, donations, bribes, etc. that doesn't exist ANYWHERE else. The Lakers can't go to Jack Nicholson asking for a donation to build a new hall of fame, nor can they ask Leonardo dicaprio to put LeBron in a movie for a $15 million cameo as a way to get around salary cap restrictions....but that's essentially what we have and is currently happening in college sports.
Actually Jack Nicholson or Leo or whoever could in fact give LeBron or whoever money to sign for less with the Lakers than somewhere else. It would be a gift and it would be taxable.

Leo could say "hey bron, i know the knicks are offering you 20mil this year, and the lakers can only give you 18mil, but if you stay with the Lakers i will gift you 2mil."

That's not against the law or against NBA salary cap because Leo is not affiliated with the Lakers.
You're making my point fir me.

The NBA has been around almost 80 years, and that's never happened. The NFL even longer.

NIL has been around for a year and it's ubiquitous in college sports.

College is different than the pros, because of its history and the precedents that have been established.

And I promise you, if new balance told Zach Levine they'd pay him and additional $5 million, but only if he signs with Boston. That would immediately become the #1 issue on the next cba.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:02 pm

The NBA has been around almost 80 years, and that's never happened. The NFL even longer.

College is different than the pros, because of its history and the precedents that have been established.

And I promise you, if new balance told Zach Levine they'd pay him and additional $5 million, but only if he signs with Boston. That would immediately become the #1 issue on the next cba.
Brady found a way around it.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

The vast majority of college athletes will never be professional athletes after school. Many of them understand this and are serious about their education. Additionally, many non-athletes are not serious about school and drop out at some point or graduate with a degree they never use.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

AlOerter wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:27 am The vast majority of college athletes will never be professional athletes after school. Many of them understand this and are serious about their education. Additionally, many non-athletes are not serious about school and drop out at some point or graduate with a degree they never use.
This pretty much is the summation argument.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I wonder if KU is McCullar's first choice as long as there is a scholarship for him, with Gonzaga being the backup plan.
Deleted User 863

30% 3pt shooter?

No thanks.

We're set in the backcourt whether CB and JW return or not. DH Yes Bobby Cuffe Gradey Rice...maybe KJ at the 3 occasionally if he learns to shoot.

I'd rather we use the scholly on that 6'6 41% 3pt shooter from south dakota state.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Leaving a good program with a passionate coach ( better coy candidate than drew that's for sure ) where he started 29 games last year.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:02 pm

Huh? I have been hearing since the dawn of time how many additional "extra" financial opportunities would be available to NBA and NFL players who signed with teams in New York, LA, etc... I am sure it's a total coincidence that LeBron made tens of millions for starring in Space Jam 2 right after moving to Los Angeles after the company got a $21+ million dollar tax break for shooting in California.