The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:41 am Have to carry a handgun in back country.
while i tend to agree, it sounds like he wasn’t even able to get his bear spray out...so, doubtful a firearm woulda been pulled in time
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea, thats true. Or 2 wouldve died. Hungry and defensive griz are not to be fucked with
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

so, happy earth day?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:42 am
Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:41 am Have to carry a handgun in back country.
while i tend to agree, it sounds like he wasn’t even able to get his bear spray out...so, doubtful a firearm woulda been pulled in time
This makes me wonder if something else was going on that we don’t know about.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

This is what I carry when camping or hiking.

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g20-gen4
Deleted User 89

some stunningly beautiful, and some terribly sad images

50 dramatic photos of life on Earth

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi ... D24E026F2C
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 am Most of montana, idaho, wyoming, Alaska, parts of Utah and Colorado....rumored to be back in parts of washington and oregon.
This is such an intriguing thought. Have you talked to anyone regarding grizzlies in Oregon? What’s the general thought there?

Officially (and off the top of my head, since the last time i geeked out about this), the biggest population is in the Yellowstone area, then the Glacier NP area, then the Bitterroot valley in MT/ID, then the northern cascades in WA? Or something.

But that’s not to say a big predator known to roam might end up lots of places. I camped along the Green River headwaters in WY a couple hours south of Yellowstone when the campground host came by and said, “oh you picked this site...last week, there was a grizzly bedded down right where your tent is now.”

And of course, the rumored San Juan grizzlies in CO.

But a big part of it is, how difficult it can be to identify a grizzly, and how easy it can be to mistake.

I have pics of a big boar black bear here in CO that’s a blond/cinnamon phase, and have been able to convince everyone I’ve shown that it’s a griz...until I point out the little things to look for that confirm it’s just a big blond black bear.
Deleted User 89

Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 am This is what I carry when camping or hiking.

lol...site is blocked by my company

mine:
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wouldn't say it's dumb to go somewhere remote alone - a risk perhaps.
But some people enjoy that peace.
I'd say it's just as 'dumb' to get on the interstate between 3 and 6 PM.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:57 am
Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 am This is what I carry when camping or hiking.

mine:
Glock 10mm w/ 15 round clip
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

There’s an old ad for I think Nike shoes or something that went something like, “you can get mauled by a bear and die, get charged by a moose and die, struck by lighting and die, fall off a cliff and die, swept down a river and die, or you can sit on the couch eating potato chips and die.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:05 am

mine:
Deleted User 89

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am I wouldn't say it's dumb to go somewhere remote alone - a risk perhaps.
But some people enjoy that peace.
I'd say it's just as 'dumb' to get on the interstate between 3 and 6 PM.
except for the whole apex predator thing, i’d agree with you

i think it’s dumb to take unnecessary risks

there are plenty of good fishing spots in yellowstone that aren’t as remote. but believe me, i can appreciate more than most the benefit and draw if being alone and having that solitude
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:07 am

mine:
Those are for the Sat Shack parking lot brawls
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hey at least you can find ammo for that. 10mm and some black powder loads is all ive seen around for months
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:12 am

Shit, now the sat shack parking lot has grizzlies too?!
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:24 am
Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:12 am

Shit, now the sat shack parking lot has grizzlies too?!
Not too many grizzlies, but a whole bunch of cougars brah
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:22 am

Hey at least you can find ammo for that. 10mm and some black powder loads is all ive seen around for months

Yeah. 10mm ammo is so much easier to get your hands on. I don’t own a 9mm but most of my friends do and they complain all the time about ammo shortage. Or at least they used to, not sure if it’s still as big of a problem.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, one cougar grabbed me by the neck and dragged me back to her den last night.

I’m a little sore, few scrapes and bruises, but for an apex predator she had a surprisingly sensitive touch.
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 am
TDub wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 am Most of montana, idaho, wyoming, Alaska, parts of Utah and Colorado....rumored to be back in parts of washington and oregon.
This is such an intriguing thought. Have you talked to anyone regarding grizzlies in Oregon? What’s the general thought there?

Officially (and off the top of my head, since the last time i geeked out about this), the biggest population is in the Yellowstone area, then the Glacier NP area, then the Bitterroot valley in MT/ID, then the northern cascades in WA? Or something.

But that’s not to say a big predator known to roam might end up lots of places. I camped along the Green River headwaters in WY a couple hours south of Yellowstone when the campground host came by and said, “oh you picked this site...last week, there was a grizzly bedded down right where your tent is now.”

And of course, the rumored San Juan grizzlies in CO.

But a big part of it is, how difficult it can be to identify a grizzly, and how easy it can be to mistake.

I have pics of a big boar black bear here in CO that’s a blond/cinnamon phase, and have been able to convince everyone I’ve shown that it’s a griz...until I point out the little things to look for that confirm it’s just a big blond black bear.
Supposedly there are a few in NE oregon....i tend to not believe it...but its possible. I know there are some in the north cascades and between the cascades and colville
Just Ledoux it